Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AppData (LUT) Folder under OneDrive

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I recently noticed that Premiere Pro is creating an AppData folder under my OneDrive location every time it starts.  The full path being created is D:\OneDrive\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Technical, so I assume this is somthing to do with a setting for LUT locations.

My actual system AppData folder is actually in the normal location:

C:\Users\[myusername]\AppData\

So, I don't understand why Premiere Pro is now creating this new AppData folder inside my OneDrive location.  OneDrive was installed after Premiere Pro, but for some readson after OneDrive was installed PP has started creating an AppData folder under OneDrive, instead of using the normal system AppData location.

If I delete the AppData folder under OneDrive, it appears again as soon as I next run Premiere Pro.

My system Documents and Pictures folders (shell folders) are now located at D:\One Drive\Documents, and D:\One Drive\Pictures, but I don't see why that would cause Adobe to create the AppData folder directly in the OneDrive root.

Any suggestions as to why this may be occuring would be greatly appreciated.  I certainly don't need this folder syncing to OneDrive, and I prefer to keep the folder structure within any cloud syncing services to only what needs to be there.

Thanks in advance

Brent

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my understanding of OneDrive (somewhat limited as it is) ... this would be OneDrive assuming it is supposed to back up that folder. So I think you need to tell OneDrive not to back up that folder.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil

Thanks for your reply.  OneDrive only syncs a single folder to the cloud.  The user can specify the location of that OneDrive folder, then anything you intentionally place inside that folder gets syncd.  You cannot nominate other folders elswehere in your filesystem to also sync.  My operating system is on one physical drive (C:) and my OneDrive is on a different physical drive (D:)

So yes, OneDrive is syncing the AppData folder, but only because Premiere Pro is creating it within the OneDrive folder at every launch.  I don't understand why it doesn't just use the default location of C:\Users\[myusername]\AppData.

This has of course only been an issue since I installed OneDrive, and moved my system Documents and Pictures folder into the OneDrive folder.  Prior to that Premiere Pro used the default AppData location.

The default locations of all of these folders would be:

C:\Users\[myusername]\Documents

C:\Users\[myusername]\Pictures\

My configuration is:

D:\OneDrive\Documents

D:\OneDrive\Pictures

Ie.  Documents and Pictures have been moved to OneDrive, but the AppData folder has been left on the C: in its default location (as I have no need to sync it to the cloud)

The only thing I can think is that Premiere Pro assumes the AppData folder should reside in the same parent folder as the Documents / Pictures folder(s), as that is where it would be in a default system configuration.  But in my setup, that assumption results in the AppData folder being created in the OneDrive folder.

It is not unusual to move the Documents and Pictures folders somethwere other than the default locations.  But it seems Premiere Pro determines the location of the AppData folder relative to the Docs / Pics folder, rather than maintaining an absolute reference for its location.

I'm not sure if Adobe can confirm whether this is expected behaviour or not?

Thanks

Brent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that one folder the only one created every time? Do you have the companion Creative folder, but it's not being copied?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same issue with Dropbox... and yes my Documents and Picture folders are located in the dropbox folder. Everytime I start Adobe Premiere, it creates the AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Technical folder again in the dropbox root.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has of course only been an issue since I installed OneDrive, and moved my system Documents and Pictures folder into the OneDrive folder. Prior to that Premiere Pro used the default AppData location.

---------------------

Have the same issue with Dropbox... and yes my Documents and Picture folders are located in the dropbox folder. 

---------------------

Well, you both have the same, self-created problem. It's in the two quotes above. Adobe's apps use your system settings to determine where to put certain things. Your User/Username things have been changed to your file service folder ... OneDrive and Dropbox.

So ... Adobe is using that system setting and parking their 'stuf'f'' where other User system stuff is getting parked.

Yea, it's not too brilliant one first thought ... but ... the way they put things on disc in various User/-places has an internal reason. And Premiere Pro is just following instructions.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks wiNGcom for confirming the same behaviour with DropBox.  Clearly Premiere Pro is assuming that the AppData folder will reside in the same folder as the Documents or Pictures folder(s), but for a huge number of users this will not be the case.

Neil, this is clearly an Adobe Premiere Pro bug, not an issue with how we have structured our filesystems.  Your suggestion that this is a "self-created problem" fails to appreciate the bigger picture.  We have simply configured our respective cloud storage services in their default manner.  And we're not alone.  Collectively OneDrive and DropBox have over 500 Million users, so this issue will surely be affecting a massive number of Premiere Pro users.  OneDrive is tightly integrated with Windows, so much so that increasingly applications don't even assume that C:/Users/Documents will be the default documents location. Instead, assuming that /Users/OneDrive/Documents will be.

I have experience with most of the major cloud storage services (incl. Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox, iCloud) and the vast majority of them use a single folder, under which everything you want syncd must reside. So, leaving the Documents / Pictures folder in the default system location is not an option.

A large percentage (probably the vast majority in fact) of users of cloud storage services will use them to sync their Documents and Photos.  This is probably one of the single most common uses of these services for the consumer market.  This means that hundreds of millions of users are moving their Documents / Pictures folders (and potentially others) to a location other than the system default location.  So assuming that the AppData folder will be contained within the same parent folder as the Documents / Pictures folders is totally inappropriate.

Other Adobe products continue to utilise the AppData folder correctly in its normal location.  It only seems to be Premiere Pro which creates a new AppData folder relative to the Documents/Pictures folder(s), rather than using the default location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Senator27 that this feels more like a bug...

If it's not, then please explain why I also have a AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common folder at the normal location (c:\Users\User\AppData) which contains a bunch of other folders and files?

If it was intended, shouldn't this data all be in the same directory consistently?

Of course I'm assuming this COMMON data is for Premiere Pro... I only have Premiere Pro and Acrobat Reader installed. But then again: there is also a Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Pro folder. Following the logic that this is 'normal', I would expect that directory to be located there too... it's not, only that LUTS/Technical folder is there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be happy to agree to something odd going on here ... with one caveat. There still has to be something specific to a certain ... something.

I re-established my onedrive to active status, and allowed it to backup files as per typical. But that Technicl file you're both having issues with didn't 'jump' into my onedrive folder. So I can't replicate the behavior, and as we've not gotten a massive outpouring of threads/posts on this, I doubt it is a common behavior.

Not to say that it isn't happening ... or that it's not annoying ... just that it's not all that common apparently.

And ... I'm wondering what the 'trigger' for this behavior on some machines is?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem, but do not use OneDrive and Dropbox. 

Location A: I have most Adobe user stuff in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe.

Location B: I have some other Adobe folders in D:\Documents (the location my Document folder setting is set to).

There's one exception:  D:\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\LUTs.

After deleting this folder, Adobe recreates it at the same location after starting Premiere Pro again.

Why is the LUT folder not stored in location A of B too, but in the root of D:\?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was there a D/appdata folder to begin with, or is Premiere creating it?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before installen Adobe Creative Suite, this folder wasn't there.

Only the LUT folder is in D:\AppData no other folder. So, only Adobe creates this folder.

If I delete this folder, Premiere Pro (or Media Encoder) wil recreate this folder again after starting this application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, useful information ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem, but in my case it creates this folder when I open Adobe Media Encoder, not Premiere (I don't even have Premiere installed). Did you find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this too. 

If I delete this folder LUT folder, Adobe Media Encoder will remake this folder again too.

So, both Premiere Pro as Media Encoder create this folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the last two comments it's pretty obvious that the developer who implemented the code behind the creation of this folder is using an incorrect way to determine the AppData folder. Looks like he determines the AppData folder by taking the base of the Documents root ... which is something that is configurable by the user and doesn't always lead to AppData.

This was also my guess... wanted to test this by rebasing all my folders but didn't have the time yet 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a bug report on their UserVoice system, and ask anyone with this issue to go over to the link below, comment and upvote.

Premiere and Media Encoder creating D:\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\LUTs on launch

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @R Neil Haugen , do you got any feedback about this? I am facing same issue 😕
Thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh yes ... OneDrive is the spawn of Satan ...

I had a new build by Puget, and OneDrive was 'active' when I started using it. OneDrive took command of ALL "User/..." folders, the appdata, user Documents/everything, and in fact pretty much ANY folder any app created anywhere on the computer to store app data in.

And it would allow a 'fresh' install of Premiere to store preferences ... but not access them the next time I started the computer! So Premiere was having to constanstly create new "user" folders where OneDrive was telling it.

I couldn't sync my preferences/workspaces/custom keyboards from the CC account on account of OneDrive not allowing it.

I tried every method given online to get OneDrive to play nice, but after two days of NOTHING, I finally went to nuke it.

It took THREE ENTIRE DAYS to finally, forever, NUKE OneDrive off my system. I'd think it was gone, but ... reboot ... there it is again!

I lost a full freaking week of time fighting OneDrive. I do not have any use, sympathy, or positive feeling about that awful mess of software.

Does that answer your questions?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had the same problem.

You have to uninstall ONEDRIVE from the pc, restart the pc and reinstall ONEDREIVE and there are no more problems.

Steeve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines