• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Applying gain to to multiple instances of audio track in timeline...

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I have a problem(s) for which there may not be a solution yet. Perhaps someone here knows.

I am cutting together a collection of several captured zoom interviews. I have already sequenced my clips in the timeline. Now I want to apply different amounts of audio gain to different interview subjects, as they were recorded at various volume levels. Is there a way for me in Premiere to apply gain to the master audio file of say, Deborah, so that I raise it +5b, and then it automatically ripples through every instance of a Deborah clip (and only Deborah) in the sequence? In other words, I'd like to avoid having to search and manually select every clip of Deborah in the timeline because there's so many clips of her interspersed and it would be easy to miss one. I want to be able to basically tell Premiere: "Wherever Deborah lives in this sequence, boost her level by Xdb!"

I should say for the record I already tried right-clicking the audio file in the project panel and applying gain. It raises the volume visibly in the waveform in the source panel, BUT has no effect whatsoever on the clips already in the timeline.

Also, if you take the above and substitute basic motion fx on video for audio gain, is that possible? In other words: "Wherever Deborah lives in this sequence, scale her up 150%!" Or "... reposition her to XY."

Is any of this possible?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

You can apply Audio Gain to clips in the project panel and this will apply to every instance of these clips on your timeline. However, this effect will not apply to the clips which are on the timeline already.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can apply Audio Gain to clips in the project panel and this will apply to every instance of these clips on your timeline. However, this effect will not apply to the clips which are on the timeline already.

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your response. So to clarify, if I were to use that workflow, I would be locked into whatever gain I apply beforehand and could not adjust that later? (Unless I select the clips manually.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ya know, it would take you about 5 minutes to test this behavior:  select a clip in the bin, adjust the gain, edit into a sequence, go back and adjust the gain in the bin and see if the clip in the timeline reflects the adjusted gain .  Why don't you try it and then help others by posting back with the results.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right. I can confirm this is the case. There appears to be way to adjust gain across all instances of a master clip in the timeline w/o manually selecting those clips. Would love for this to be proven false!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks for following thru.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines