Exit

Artefacts and glitches with MP4 and PP 14.5 and above

New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

when editing with Premiere Pro I get the following issue:
Sometimes artefacts of different kinds (color shifts, blocks, smears in fast moving items, complete position shifts, etc) appear in the video. It seems like it takes some time (editing) for them to appear. But after their appearance they are consistent and stay of their kind and at the specific point in time. But they do get worse: Maybe at first it's just a little glitch but over time by playing it again and again, more glitches appear.
When this happens I can get rid of them by rendering in the timeline. Also they won't be in the exported output.
I was able to reproduce them in the source viewer by excessive scrubbing.

So I had a closer look at the file:
So far this issue only arose with H.264 MP4. Maybe this could happen with other files as well, idk.
One MP4 that is causing trouble has the following codec details: AVC (High@L4) (CABAC / 3 Ref Frames) and another one AVC (High@L4.2) (CABAC / 2 Ref Frames)
So I took this file and re-encoded it with AMC to different profiles, no artefacts at all.
The closest I could get to the first codec above was AVC (Component) (High@L4) (CABAC / 4 Ref Frames). But also here: no artefacts.

So I tried different versions of Premiere Pro and there seems to be a line between PP2020 14.5 and PP2020 14.4:
In the versions above I can reproduce the artefacts, in the versions below I can't.

This is true for a couple of clips I was using. Maybe things change when I use other clips in another setting or in combination with specific filters or something like that.

Switching from OpenCL GPU Acceleration to Software only doesn't change anything.

Any help?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, I forgot:

No problems in AE or any other application.

My system: 

AMD Radeon RX Vega 64

Intel Core i9 9900K

Prime Z390-A

64GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines