Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Aspect ratio issue

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community,

I'm brand new to Premiere pro and I'm having an issue with aspect ratio.  I've imported an SD video from a tv show into the program, 720x480 4:3, but it's stretching the video's aspect ratio and the picture is coming out looking like I tried converting it to a wider format.  When I go to sequence settings it's saying that the video is in 720x480 3:2.  I'll attach a pic of the settings.  How can I keep the proper 4:3 fullscreen when I export the file?

Thank you for your help.  

TOPICS
Editing , Export , Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

I think Richard M. Knight is on to something with the pixel aspect ratio but I would try going at it from a diffent angle.

I don't think your sequence is the issue. I think Premiere is misunderstanding your footage. I've had similar issues before. Leave your pixel aspect ratio whatever you want in the sequence.

Right click on your footage in the Project panel and click Modify then Interpret footage...

Once there, change the pixel aspect ratio to Conform to: .9091

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 6.23.12 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

720x480 is 3:2  not 4:3 using square pixels. Try changing the 'Pixel Aspect Ratio' from Square Pixels to something like this:

PAR.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much Richard.  I changed that setting, however, the picture is still importing and exporting askew.  I have attached a comparison so that you can see what's happening.  It almost looks like Adobe is compressing the footage's height.  I'm not sure why this is happening.  I've run other videos in the same aspect ratio and they turned out perfectly.  Granted they were HD and not SD, but I fail to see how that would make any difference.  Would you know why this is happening?

Thank you for your help.

Mark

.Comparisons.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,

Here's another comparison for you.  The video on the left is the original file playing in a media player, and the right is the same clip in Premiere Pro.  You can see how Premiere is altering the aspect ratio oddly.  

Comparisons 2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post screenshot of clip analyzed in Media info in treeview.

MediaInfo windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ann,

Thank you for your help with this.  I'm attaching two screenshots, the first one is the original clip and the second is the Adobe clip.  

Media Info - Original Clip.JPGMedia Info - Adobe Clip.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John, I will be going through these this week.  I appreciate you pointing these out to me.. I can't wait to get started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Richard M. Knight is on to something with the pixel aspect ratio but I would try going at it from a diffent angle.

I don't think your sequence is the issue. I think Premiere is misunderstanding your footage. I've had similar issues before. Leave your pixel aspect ratio whatever you want in the sequence.

Right click on your footage in the Project panel and click Modify then Interpret footage...

Once there, change the pixel aspect ratio to Conform to: .9091

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 6.23.12 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael, you're a lifesaver!!!!  That did the trick.  Thank you so very much for your input.  I truly appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Richard, Ann, John, and Michael for all of your help!  It's so amazing to have a community like this that springs to action when someone needs help.  You're amazing!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines