Highlighted

Aspect ratio of exported video is different when viewed on phone vs. computer?

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, first time posting here so I hope this issue isn't a common one because then I would look like a fool. I've googled this and only found generic "how do I change the aspect ratio of my video" questions, so here goes.

I've been learning Premiere for a few months now, and having a ton of fun with it; I do fencing on my free time, and editing videos of my sparring sessions has been a lot of fun to learn Premiere with as well as marry my favorite thing to do with my love of tech and media. It's all been fine and dandy until my latest video, where I noticed a really strange thing when I uploaded it to social media: the aspect ratio was totally ruined! It squashed a 1440x1080 video to be really similar to Instagram's 4:3 ratio, making everything look vertically stretched!

Here is a screenshot of the video's metadata:

jamier98734628_0-1603896906443.png

The truly bizarre thing I've noticed is that when I view this video (on the social media post) on the computer, it looks just fine, like all the other videos I've made. But it's only when viewed on the phone does it squash it! What's more, is this is the first time this has happened with any of the videos I've made!

So, to that end, the only thing I did differently this time around was I tried making multiple sequences within one project because they were highlights from the same sparring match and I wanted to keep all the highlights from one match in the same project file. Could creating a new Sequence mess with the aspect ratio of a video upon exporting? Maybe I chose the wrong video type for the Sequence? It was the second sequence in a Project file; the first one I made uploaded to social media just fine!

Thanks for your help, and I'd be happy to answer any other questions I can about the issue.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Averdahl | Adobe Community Professional

Could creating a new Sequence mess with the aspect ratio of a video upon exporting? Maybe I chose the wrong video type for the Sequence?

Yes and yes.

If your original footage is 1920x1080 @29.97 with a PAR* of 1.0 you should edit it in a timeline that is 1920x1080 @29.97 with a PAR of 1.0 and export it as 1920x1080 @29.97 with a PAR of 1.0. If you don´t, issues like this will creep up asap.

So start there and check the properties of your source footage and make sure that the Sequence Settings match and that you choose a export preset that match as well. To see and change the settings of a sequence, select it and go to Sequence > Sequence Settings. If it cannot be changed, set the Editing Mode to Custom.

Also, make sure to get in the habit upon every export to view the Summary to make sure that the Source match the Output. This is an easy way to spot issues before export. Note that this only shows the Sequence Settings (Source) and does not tell if the footage is way off from that setting. (See image below.)

*=Pixel Aspect Ratio

exp.PNG

TOPICS
Error or problem, Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Aspect ratio of exported video is different when viewed on phone vs. computer?

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, first time posting here so I hope this issue isn't a common one because then I would look like a fool. I've googled this and only found generic "how do I change the aspect ratio of my video" questions, so here goes.

I've been learning Premiere for a few months now, and having a ton of fun with it; I do fencing on my free time, and editing videos of my sparring sessions has been a lot of fun to learn Premiere with as well as marry my favorite thing to do with my love of tech and media. It's all been fine and dandy until my latest video, where I noticed a really strange thing when I uploaded it to social media: the aspect ratio was totally ruined! It squashed a 1440x1080 video to be really similar to Instagram's 4:3 ratio, making everything look vertically stretched!

Here is a screenshot of the video's metadata:

jamier98734628_0-1603896906443.png

The truly bizarre thing I've noticed is that when I view this video (on the social media post) on the computer, it looks just fine, like all the other videos I've made. But it's only when viewed on the phone does it squash it! What's more, is this is the first time this has happened with any of the videos I've made!

So, to that end, the only thing I did differently this time around was I tried making multiple sequences within one project because they were highlights from the same sparring match and I wanted to keep all the highlights from one match in the same project file. Could creating a new Sequence mess with the aspect ratio of a video upon exporting? Maybe I chose the wrong video type for the Sequence? It was the second sequence in a Project file; the first one I made uploaded to social media just fine!

Thanks for your help, and I'd be happy to answer any other questions I can about the issue.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Averdahl | Adobe Community Professional

Could creating a new Sequence mess with the aspect ratio of a video upon exporting? Maybe I chose the wrong video type for the Sequence?

Yes and yes.

If your original footage is 1920x1080 @29.97 with a PAR* of 1.0 you should edit it in a timeline that is 1920x1080 @29.97 with a PAR of 1.0 and export it as 1920x1080 @29.97 with a PAR of 1.0. If you don´t, issues like this will creep up asap.

So start there and check the properties of your source footage and make sure that the Sequence Settings match and that you choose a export preset that match as well. To see and change the settings of a sequence, select it and go to Sequence > Sequence Settings. If it cannot be changed, set the Editing Mode to Custom.

Also, make sure to get in the habit upon every export to view the Summary to make sure that the Source match the Output. This is an easy way to spot issues before export. Note that this only shows the Sequence Settings (Source) and does not tell if the footage is way off from that setting. (See image below.)

*=Pixel Aspect Ratio

exp.PNG

TOPICS
Error or problem, Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 28, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1440x1080 doesn't fit any "standard" viewing aspect. Nearly all players and devices are set to work with either the old TV aspect ratio of 4:3 or with the 16:9 ratio of 1280x720 HD, 1920x1080 "Full" HD (FHD), or 3840x2160 UHD.

So yes, it will either be shown by some players by stretching it, as you noted, or by the use of black bars as part of the frame. That's just how it will be displayed on certain players/devices.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 0
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1440x1080 with a PAR of 1.0 is 4:3.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 0
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and yes.

*=Pixel Aspect Ratio

exp.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This was indeed the issue. When I created a new sequence, it gave me a large list of camera types and aspect ratios I didn't understand, and I erroneously chose one that was 1440x1080, when my source footage is 1920x1080. I recreated it with the correct ratio and it works perfectly!

Out of curiosity, is there an easy way to create new sequences with the same ratio/PAR as the previous sequence in the same project? Also, an even dumber question, how do I rename sequences so they're less obtuse than simply "sequence 1", "sequeence 2", etc?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 0
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Timelines can be named when you create them (best) or when clicking on it´s name in the Project panel followed by Enter.

Creating new sequences can be challenging if you are new to the app, and even if you have some experience. I do often use the Presets inside either the AVCHD or Canon XF MPEG2 folder. They both include Presets for anamorphic footage and i have some. If you use footage from a phone you don´t, so use the Digital SLR folder instead.

Or, drag the footage in the Project panel to the New Item icon down right in the Project panel. But, be aware of the phones creates footage that has variable frame rate so this method will create timelines that can be 30.09 fps and that will cause issues when exporting as well. So that method is has some serious downside to it that many encounter. 

TL.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 1
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With anything other than phone/VFR media, the easiest way to create sequences that match is to either just drag/drop a clip to a blank timeline panel, or right-click a clip in a bin and select 'new sequence from clip'.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 1
Averdahl LATEST
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, i forgot those! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 0