• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio and Video - Speed not matching - How to Sync?

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have an old mpg-video file where video and audio is out of sync.

After trying to fix this with moving the video relative to the audio I noticed that it doesn't work.

If the sync is perfect in the beginning, it's out of sync at the end.

And the other way around.

So the speed of audio and video simply are not perfectly the same, which adds up to a few seconds after one hour.

Is there a simple way to fix this?

I would link to align two ore more points and then premiere should match the speed of audio and video.

Thanks,

Steven

TOPICS
Audio , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Find a sync point on the audio and the video both at the start and end of the clips. Trim both tracks to these sync points and align the start points. Select the rate stretch tool, shortcut 'R', select only the audio track and drag the out point to match the out point of the video. Go back to the normal cursor, shortcut 'V' you can then drag the the clip out to full length.

This will only work if the audio and video are drifting by a constant amount.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steven

Synchronization can be affected if the audio and video are not camera captured or if the clip is with variable frame rate. Could you share more details?

• What is the source(camera) of the media files?
  • Which version of Adobe Premiere Pro are you using?

Additionaly, please take a look at this article: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-work-with-variable-frame-rate-vfr-media-in-pr...

Let us know if it helps.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shivangi!

The file is from capturing an old VHS tape using an USB-Video-Grabber.

The file format in .mpg - it's MPEG2 valid for buring a DVD.

I want to use Premiere to convert it to .MP4 however.

The properties-dialog doen't show "variable frame rate".

Thanks!

Steven

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find a sync point on the audio and the video both at the start and end of the clips. Trim both tracks to these sync points and align the start points. Select the rate stretch tool, shortcut 'R', select only the audio track and drag the out point to match the out point of the video. Go back to the normal cursor, shortcut 'V' you can then drag the the clip out to full length.

This will only work if the audio and video are drifting by a constant amount.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,

This completely solved my problem - thank you very much!

I took some time to get it perfectly right.

The problem itself is quite annoing and I still don't know the cause.

But at least there is a way to fix it.

Thanks again,

Steven

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

An excellent solution to the problem. Bravo 👏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Is there anyone who can explain this reply in more detail? I am a total beginner at Premiere Pro and I don't understand this answer so any help would be gratefully received (ie, I don't know how to find the end sync point, because if I adjust the audio track so it syncs at the beginning, it doesn't sync at the end, so how can I trim the tracks so that the start AND end points sync? etc)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's like solving a mix and match puzzle.

First you have to start them at some point around the beginning of the clip where the audio an video will match. After that you find a later part of the clip where there should be SOUND B. Next you find SOUND B on the audio track. Then you drag that part of the audio clip out using rate stretch, to the matching part in the video where that sound should be heard. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The step you might be missing is selecting the 'rate stretch' tool shortcut 'R' this will leave the start point where it is and will make the audio track longer or shorter to match the video length.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines