Highlighted

Audio cleanup tools

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I am primarily a picture editor working with a client that is inexperienced and also doesn't have the budget for a proper audio post editor.  Here's the issue.  I have a series of interviews shot by the client that have been edited to the fine cut stage, music and FX in place, audio fade-ins and outs are done as well as the relative mix volumes between music and FX (not much overlap anyway) and now I need to go through and clean up the usual problems.  First off, they had their camera set to automatic recording level with automatic gain on so the top of each take is heavily clipped.  I put those through Audtion's de-clipper tool and it worked reasonbly well.  Now I need to do compression and EQ and then run the whole thing through Audition's "Match Volume" tool to set levels for the web.  But I see that the Essential Sound panel appears to have some tools that may automate a lot of this, but that isn't entirely clear to me.  For example, is the "common loudness" tool an automated compressor or is it doing something comletely different?  Also, other than doing the compression first, I am not clear on what the correct workflow order should be to avoid one effect stepping on what has been done before.  I'd appreciate any help with this anyone can offer.

TOPICS
Audio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Audio cleanup tools

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I am primarily a picture editor working with a client that is inexperienced and also doesn't have the budget for a proper audio post editor.  Here's the issue.  I have a series of interviews shot by the client that have been edited to the fine cut stage, music and FX in place, audio fade-ins and outs are done as well as the relative mix volumes between music and FX (not much overlap anyway) and now I need to go through and clean up the usual problems.  First off, they had their camera set to automatic recording level with automatic gain on so the top of each take is heavily clipped.  I put those through Audtion's de-clipper tool and it worked reasonbly well.  Now I need to do compression and EQ and then run the whole thing through Audition's "Match Volume" tool to set levels for the web.  But I see that the Essential Sound panel appears to have some tools that may automate a lot of this, but that isn't entirely clear to me.  For example, is the "common loudness" tool an automated compressor or is it doing something comletely different?  Also, other than doing the compression first, I am not clear on what the correct workflow order should be to avoid one effect stepping on what has been done before.  I'd appreciate any help with this anyone can offer.

TOPICS
Audio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 27, 2020 0

Have something to add?