Audio drop out during playback version 14.3.2

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Team

As per subject line, I'm having issues with audio drop out during playback while editing.  Here are my specs of my 2020 macbook pro:

Laethe5ED3_0-1610663415897.png

Project file in Documents folder and all my source files are in a 1TB Samsung T7 SSD connected with a thunderbolt cable.

My project has 3x 4k videos and 2x additional WAV mic tracks.

Source file sizes vary from 3GB-8GB but there is two large (27GB) files.. 

Would appreciate any feedback and/or solutions to enhance my workflow?

Thanks,

TOPICS
Audio, Editing, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add, I've match FPS of the sequence to my source files - I read that somewhere that it might help.  I also tried converting the WAV tracks to MP3.. it has helped a very tiny bit but the problem is still there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do not convert wavs to mp3's.  mp3's are heavily compressed, and require more processing power to decompress.  Are you saying you have multiple angles of 4K footage?  If so, 16 gigs of ram is probably at least part of the problem and I don't think there's anything you can do about that.  You might try a proxy workflow which will take a great deal of the computing overhead away.    And you're not telling us the format of the 4K material.  If it's mp4 or avchd, that requires heavy processing power to play back in realtime.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  Just for further clarification:

• 2x 4K MP4 video tracks (with one embedded audio)
  • 2x WAV tracks (converted to MP3 temporarily for testing purposes)
  • 1x MP3 track for very low level background music
  • All of them stored in SSD.

So additional RAM.. got it

Interesting your comment re: MP3 because its definitely improved playback from complete stuttering and constant dropping to at least now I can review footage 5-10 seconds each time before it start having any issues.

The MP3 background music, actually, keeps playing longer than the WAV.

It can't be simply the file size - I'm editing a 50GB+ file for another project and have had no issues...?  Its only one big video file admittedly.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the issue could be the Intel Iris Plus Graphics GPU, it is low in VRAM and you are working with quite heavy files, also as mgrenadier says you have not given us the specifications of the container and codec of the clips. The SSD might be fine but it doesn't just depend on the transfer rate. The cheapest solution could be to work with Proxy's and in the end you replace the heavy clips before exporting.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Laethe5ED3 AUTHOR LATEST
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies here is a screenshot of one of the files:

Laethe5ED3_0-1610668905280.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines