• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio Hardware Changes in Premiere Pro CC2015

Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2015 Jul 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seem to have been some big changes in the Audio Hardware preferences in the jump from CC 2014 to CC 2015.

I am using Premiere on a MacPro. In CC 2014, under Audio Hardware, there is an ASIO Hardware section where I was able to set the Adobe Desktop Audio to "System Default Input/Output." This was perfect because if I changed my system output from headphones to line out, Premiere would follow suit.

In CC 2015, that option has disappeared. There is a  Device Class dropdown, but the only option I'm given is "CoreAudio." In the default input and output options below there is no option to respect the system's input/output. Therefore, even if I have changed my system output to be line out, Premiere continues to just use the headphone output.

Is it possible to get that old functionality in CC 2015? Am I just missing it somewhere? In the help documents for 2015, it seems to suggest ASIO hardware options are only available for Windows and CoreAudio only for Mac. Why is this the case? It was available in 2014. I would appreciate any insight or help in this matter.

Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 9.15.51 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-07-02 at 9.16.26 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

This was finally addressed in the 14.2 update. Only took 5 years to get it done, but better late than never!

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/33897754-fix-the-default-audio-output-for-imac-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jared,

Please check the below link and check if it helps.

Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Preferences

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinay,

I have indeed read that document. I mentioned in my original post that it seems to suggest ASIO hardware options are only available for Windows and CoreAudio only for Mac, though in CC 2014 I have settings for ASIO hardware that allows me to do what I need. I'm wondering where that option has gone (for Mac users I suppose) and if there is any way to get Premiere CC 2015 to handle the default input/output as it did in 2014.

Thanks,

Jared

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2015 Sep 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an answer to this or is it just going to be ignored?  It's been 2 1/2 months since this thread was started and I haven't seen any type of solution or even a reasonable answer to why this changed.  I too am having to deal with this issue.  It is something that worked well and became "broken" when updated with no real reason why.  The fact that the option is in After Effects tells me that it should be possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 18, 2015 Sep 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello BMac,

Is there an answer to this or is it just going to be ignored?  It's been 2 1/2 months since this thread was started and I haven't seen any type of solution or even a reasonable answer to why this changed.  I too am having to deal with this issue.  It is something that worked well and became "broken" when updated with no real reason why.  The fact that the option is in After Effects tells me that it should be possible.

What you and everyone on this thread needs to do is to file a bug or the team will simply not know your frustration. I could mention the issue, but nothing does the job of a call to action better than a bug staring them in the face. I know it is frustrating, but really, the only way to move the needle on this one. Please file bugs here.

EDIT: Appears there is a bug logged from our end but it would be great if you still filed a bug report so that all your suggestions will be included in the fix.
BTW, the change was brought about in 9.0. As I understand it, some of the core software code was migrated from Audition to Premiere Pro.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to be rude, buts that's why we are here. We are explaining our problems right here on your forum. I don't understand how this isn't making it further down the line. It's not a bug, It's a missing feature that was there and now isn't. I have to apologize to clients daily because there is no option to mirror the system audio output. My mac is mow battling Premiere over the audio output. I'll be editing on headphones, switch over to the internet and now my audio is playing out of the mac pro, switch mac to headphones, and then I go back to Premiere and now my Premiere output is messed up again.

It's unbelievably frustrating, and I'm sorry to say this but without one word back about trying to fix this, it makes us less likely to fill out any bug report because it doesn't seem like its doing any good.

Heath

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2016 Mar 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how long before a bug is actually fixed.  Especially a bug that doesn't really seem like a bug.  As has been noted, this featured existed before 9.0 in Premiere, and actually exists now in After Effects.  Telling people to continue to file bug reports is useless if it takes this long to fix.  Its been 8 months since the original post and about 6 months since you first asked about bug reports being filed.  That seems like a long time for a feature that we inexplicably removed from a previous version and still exists in another piece of software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2016 Mar 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BMac,

So how long before a bug is actually fixed.  Especially a bug that doesn't really seem like a bug.  As has been noted, this featured existed before 9.0 in Premiere, and actually exists now in After Effects. 

We had a major change in audio hardware settings. Sorry about that. I can't say when it will be fixed. That said, I'll be sure that this post is added to the bug and I'll try and get some clarity from the team as to when a fix might be expected.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jared,

On CC 2014 it shows ASIO hardware so you might be using some ASIO supported hardware (recording device). An equivalent to ASIO on Mac OS X is CoreAudio, which was designed with low latency in mind and is the default driver on MAC.

You can understand it in the same way as Premiere Pro is detecting that recording device as it is plugged in but MAC core Audio is communication with the same device using ASIO. This might be the case if Device fails to register as a core audio device and take a other way rount to communicate with the core audio (In your case you can say it is ASIO).

ASIO wasn't meant to be used for playback purposes either way, it's meant for recording where you want to be able to set a low latency.

In CC 2015, The complete audio stucture is Enhanced and it looks similar like Audiotion Preferences and gives you many recording and playback features (Hardware Backed) to set Master clock and set the Output and input device perfectly with desired sample rate.

So, for now you cannot set your Desktop Audio to Default input/output as they both are now configured separeately in CC 2015.

Hope this helps.

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am frustrated by this change.  I would change my system default several times a day to hear differences in mix between headphones and monitors, to spare other editors from hearing me work or to specifically share progress with others.  I have Quicksilver installed with a script to switch my system audio preference with the press of a single button, however that is now useless.

For what reason can you not allow a default system audio option when CoreAudio is what the OS uses?

This is an irritating step backwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kyle,

Have you installed the latest update 9.0.1 for Premiere Pro CC 2015?

If not please try to update and check if the issue persists.

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vinay,

I have updated to 9.0.1, and there is absolutely no change when it comes to the audio functionality.

Kyle and I share an identical dilemma. I have an Automator script that changes the system audio preference via keyboard shortcut. Like Kyle, switching between headphones so the entire office doesn't have to hear me editing and monitors to share progress with others is pretty common. In fact, I rolled back to CC 2014 entirely just because of this inconvenience.

Regardless of the reasons for "enhancing" the audio structure, having Premiere's audio output follow the system's default should be a feature, just as it had been for years through 2014. At the very least, just an option to return to CC 2014's audio functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jared,

I can totally understand the issue that you are facing.

Is it possible to give some more information about the Scripts (Is it a Apple script used to control system volume) that you use to toggle playback/recording devices.

As you are aware that there are some significant changes made to Premiere Pro CC 2015 audio hardware preferences to make it more advanced and provide more controls.

This script is limited to Premiere Pro or can work with Audition as well. If yes, can you check if you get issues in Audition as well.

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinay,

I have installed the latest update, but the options appear the same within Premiere under "Audio Hardware".

The script that I run contains the following commands.  I use QuickSilver to execute the command from a single keyboard button.  It is basically opening Mac OS system preferences, opening Sound, opening Output tab, and choosing either Headphones or Line Out.

-----------

tell application "System Preferences"

activate

set current pane to pane "com.apple.preference.sound"

end tell

tell application "System Events"

tell application process "System Preferences"

tell tab group 1 of window "Sound"

click radio button "Output"

if (selected of row 2 of table 1 of scroll area 1) then

set selected of row 1 of table 1 of scroll area 1 to true

set deviceselected to "Headphones"

else

set selected of row 2 of table 1 of scroll area 1 to true

set deviceselected to "Line Out"

end if

end tell

end tell

end tell

tell application "System Preferences" to quit

------------

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the information let me check the script on my machine and will let you know.

Also, please provide the screenshot of the audio hardware prefernces with the devices reflected ib the drop down for input/output and the devices connected to the machine for playback/recording

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2015 Aug 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue and am also very frustrated that this past functionality has disappeared.  Having the ability to switch quickly between headphones and desktop speakers is very valuable when offices are in close proximity.  I had tried just switching the output within Premiere Pro, but by doing that I lose the ability to easily control the volume level.  Please fix this ASAP!

Vic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2015 Aug 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed this is frustrating.  What I find amusing is that After Effects traditionally did not have the "System default" as an audio hardware option.  However, in CC 2015 After Effects now has this feature, yet it was stripped out of Premiere (where it is arguably more useful).

Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 10.35.58 AM.png

Adobe, please correct this.  Premiere will let you manually choose any of the system output options, so clearly it's not a limitation of excluding certain outputs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2015 Aug 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha!  I hadn't noticed it there.  The other problem I'm now realizing is that since I determined I could just use the System Volume control with my powered Alesis Speakers I removed any kind of external volume control.  This new update now means that I can't control my desktop audio except with the audio mixer within Premiere!

This NEEDS to be fixed!  Adobe, please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 26, 2015 Aug 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vjdiangelo is right, this is a ridiculous change.

In our suites, we frequently switch between Headphones (when editing privately) and Line Out (when reviewing edits together). This used to be as simple as option-clicking the speaker icon in the OSX menu bar, and selecting the desired output (Premiere would obey, as it was set to System Default).

Now we have to dig through preference panes every time we want to switch [edit: if we want to control volume, we also have to change the system's audio device]

Am I missing something? Why wouldn't you want an option to obey the system-specified output device preference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2015 Sep 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also looking for resolution here. I've always used an option-click on the system audio icon to switch from headphones to speakers for the very same reasons. This is a major step backwards for those who work in an area where they use both headphones and speakers regularly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2015 Sep 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just chiming in to say that this annoying change happens on PC as well. It's a move for the worse in my workflow. Please address this soon Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2015 Sep 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this forum because I am experiencing the exact same frustration. I just finished a session with a producer abbd had to repeatedly apologize for getting up and setting the audio levels manually since I have no control over levels when audio is mapped to line out; the only option for playing audio through my monitors.

And going into preferences every time I want to toggle between headphones and speakers is a huge time waster. Please fix.

Octavio

PS For those on OSX who do not want to fuss with automator and scripts to toggle between headphones and speakers, you can option-click on the volume control (make sure you have selected 'show volume in menu bar' under audio preferences) and a drop down menu with all the available audio inputs and outputs will appear for.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tacking on to what others have said - this is extremely annoying to have to go through several menus just to change the audio output. Can you explain why this is no longer tied to the system audio? I change from my headphones/speakers daily and it is the most cumbersome process to have to dig through menus and remember which output is which when switching between apps. For other people in this forum, the only thing I can think of as a temporary work around is an A/B Switch - Amazon.com : Sescom SES-IPOD-AB iPod Stereo Audio MP3 FLAC WMA Player A/B Switch 3.5mm (1/8) : Elect...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2016 Jan 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derrick,

Did you file a bug yet? Please do so.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I filed both a feature request (one click audio switching) and a bug report (no audio playback control when audio mapped to line out) with link outs to this forum thread included.

O

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines