• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio Hardware Changes in Premiere Pro CC2015

Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2015 Jul 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seem to have been some big changes in the Audio Hardware preferences in the jump from CC 2014 to CC 2015.

I am using Premiere on a MacPro. In CC 2014, under Audio Hardware, there is an ASIO Hardware section where I was able to set the Adobe Desktop Audio to "System Default Input/Output." This was perfect because if I changed my system output from headphones to line out, Premiere would follow suit.

In CC 2015, that option has disappeared. There is a  Device Class dropdown, but the only option I'm given is "CoreAudio." In the default input and output options below there is no option to respect the system's input/output. Therefore, even if I have changed my system output to be line out, Premiere continues to just use the headphone output.

Is it possible to get that old functionality in CC 2015? Am I just missing it somewhere? In the help documents for 2015, it seems to suggest ASIO hardware options are only available for Windows and CoreAudio only for Mac. Why is this the case? It was available in 2014. I would appreciate any insight or help in this matter.

Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 9.15.51 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-07-02 at 9.16.26 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

This was finally addressed in the 14.2 update. Only took 5 years to get it done, but better late than never!

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/33897754-fix-the-default-audio-output-for-imac-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2015 Dec 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list.  Switching between headphones and speakers is such a common practice for editors that I find it hard to believe it could get past an Adobe update.  ADOBE, PLEASE FIX!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2016 Jan 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list.  Switching between headphones and speakers is such a common practice for editors that I find it hard to believe it could get past an Adobe update.  ADOBE, PLEASE FIX!!!

Sorry, there is no list. We compile issues via bug reports. Please file one.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2016 Mar 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a bug.. I don't understand how that's not getting across. It's a feature that was there, and is now not there. Plain and simple. I wish you guys were more honest and just say you won't bring back this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2016 Mar 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Verite,

It's not a bug.. I don't understand how that's not getting across. It's a feature that was there, and is now not there. Plain and simple. I wish you guys were more honest and just say you won't bring back this feature.

I am sorry you're still experiencing this issue that was brought about by a significant change in our audio hardware panel. The issue is logged from our side and we're working on a fix. Thanks for your patience.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me too. This is beyond a joke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please file a bug, Carl. There is no better way to voice a complaint.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2016 Feb 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to add my voice to this issue, and yes, I did file a feature request (I see this a new feature, not necessarily a bug). There really needs to be a "system default" option in the audio hardware settings (for both input and output really, but in this case, for output) that monitors the settings in OS X to determine which source to use as output. As others have already stated, I too use my headphones while assembling and editing before sharing with others for feedback when I switch to my external speakers so others can hear the audio. Since I'm new to using Premiere Pro for such a large project, this is the first time I've really had to deal with this issue and while I can work around it by switching settings in both OS X and Premiere Pro, I really shouldn't have to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Folks,

Not sure if this is helpful, but I've been having a similar issue with the volume controls & outputs not auto-detecting when I switch.

I work on a Mac & the following seems to be working so far: Open 3 menus simultaneously: 1) on the Mac, system Preferences > Audio, 2) Premiere Pro CC > Preferences >Audio Hardware & 3) the Settings screen under the Audio Hardware menu.  It takes some fiddling with the setting combos, but so far it works - see below: 

: Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 12.53.06 PM.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to take anything away from what you've posted, as I'm sure it might be helpful to someone, this isn't helpful in solving the current issue in this thread.  In fact, it points to the actual problem.  If you wanted to change from those headphones to speakers, you'd switch your mac to line out and then have to do the same in the Adobe window.  It's a constant back and forth between multiple windows.  It's also a step back from the way it was in CC2014 (pre-9.0).

The old way, there was an option that said, "system default input/output".  When that was selected, it would mirror your mac.  Thus when you switch from headphones to speakers on the mac, it automatically does it in Premiere.  In fact, After Effects still has the option as seen in my screenshot.  The fact that one of the Adobe staff marked this post as helpful as well as insisting it is a bug does not instill confidence that Adobe will ever in fact put back a feature that they removed for some odd reason.

Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 3.36.14 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BMac,

The fact that one of the Adobe staff marked this post as helpful as well as insisting it is a bug does not instill confidence that Adobe will ever in fact put back a feature that they removed for some odd reason.

If it helps, I just added a link to this thread on the bug. I'm also tracking the issue.

If there are workarounds, they could be marked as "Helpful." Don't intend to mislead you. Sorry.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2016 Mar 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate it. Your earlier replies made it seem like you were ignoring those of us that were pointing out that it's not a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 10, 2016 Aug 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a year now since this problem appeared and there doesn't seem to be any solution in sight.

Is there anyone we can call to talk about the issue? Clearly the bug reports don't seem to be working.

The most important thing I want to know as a consumer and professional user is if this issue is something that Adobe is even interested in fixing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just logged a feature request, but I'm not holding my breath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi liamwhite,

It's been a year now since this problem appeared and there doesn't seem to be any solution in sight.

Sorry about that.

Is there anyone we can call to talk about the issue? Clearly the bug reports don't seem to be working.

I'm that person. It's a matter of priority. It hasn't reached the point of many users complaining, so the priority doesn't move up. I see that problem with this bug because it doesn't happen on all systems. For example, I don't have the issue on my MacBook Pro. If you weren't already aware, the product team is tracking multiple issues, as this software is very, very complex and it takes a lot of management to make fixes to existing software, mainly so nothing gets "broken" in the process.

The most important thing I want to know as a consumer and professional user is if this issue is something that Adobe is even interested in fixing.

It's still under review. We're interested in fixing any and all issues, however, it's usually a question of manpower/bandwidth, etc. We don't have endless resources, unfortunately.

I am interested in pushing this issue forward. I hope we can make progress soon.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the prompt reply. It's honestly greatly appreciated. There are though just a couple of things I'd like to add:

1. Technically, this is a problem that appears on ALL computers, including MacBook Pros. I just tested it on my MacBook Pro with headphones and external speakers (connected through USB) and was unable to switch between the two easily. It's likely that most users editing on their laptop just don't use external speakers so never have an issue. Does this make sense? I just want to make sure the problem is completely understood. To clarify, you used to be able to easily switch between the two using OSX controls (screenshots below):

Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 8.35.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 8.32.10 PM.png

2. This is a somewhat high-end user problem. While I understand that it might not be something that plagues a vast number of customers, I'm sure it irks professionals such as myself who edit in an office environment and therefore need to be able to switch between headphones (editing by themselves) and speakers (editing with clients or simply showing a cut) quickly. It seems silly that this would require jumping into Premiere Pro's Audio Hardware preferences everything single time.

3. Lastly, while I totally understand that Adobe's resources aren't unlimited, I think myself and the other people on the thread find this issue especially frustrating since it didn't used to be a problem. In my personal experience, the old "Audio Hardware" preferences worked perfectly I'd just love to get that back somehow.

Thank you again for following up on this. I have submitted a "Feature Request", but let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2016 Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said Liam.

Kevin, I think the reason people are discouraged with the insistence that this be classified as a bug, is because we don't believe the development team will view it as such. The fact is, nothing is technically working incorrectly. Everything in regards to this issue IS working the way the developers intended.

What we on this thread (and, I would imagine, many others who have not taken the time to visit this forum) are after is the functionality previously included in Premiere up until 9.0, where it was removed all together. We used to have it. Now we do not.

Over the year+ since I originally started this thread, I've simply gone back and forth changing my audio preferences in both the OS and Premiere preferences each time I want to toggle between headphones and external speakers. Is it a HUGE deal? No. I won't pretend to know all of the technical ins-and-outs that surely complicate this issue, but frankly, it just seems like it should be a JDI feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 11, 2016 Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a mac user anymore, but the ASIO selection should never have been removed. And I take issue with Vinay's comment earlier in the thread that ASIO was never meant for playback. That is just wrong.

ASIO was created by Steinberg for low latency recording and playback, allowing the manufacturers to tie directly into the card, bypassing the OS, and thus eliminating latency—and that goes for playback. It also allowed for access to more of the channels when recording.

If you look through the Premiere forums, alot of people on Windows were having problems with clockspeeds and skipping timelines because they were using MME, or Adobe desktop audio instead of the ASIO drivers. The first thing I always do is set Premiere to the ASIO drivers if the device has them.

I worked on Macs for a few years but if I remember correctly coreaudio was much like Windows built in audio subsystem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more user here, same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jorgecarreon, the fix doesn't seem to be happening. This used to be a part of my daily workflow, now I'm using speakers with a headset port built into them. I have to just unplug them manually when I want to use speakers. Very unfortunate, but it's the only way it works easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just upgraded our studio, new sound included and bought the CC membership. Guess we'll have to downgrade to Pr 2014 and cancel the subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm personally not impressed by the limited manpower argument considering we pay a monthly fee for a piece of software that you can't find the resources to fix 4 years after you broke with your own changes to the code and people have notified you is an issue. (and yes I'm on my way to filing a bug report, that you guys apparently can ignore as "low priority")

I'd LOVE to see a screencast example of your claimed case of it working on your MacBook Pro. i see this issue on every single machine in our office, and is a nuisance that affects pretty much every time I use premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically what staff is saying is that it works on her computer so its not a problem she's willing to fix, this is such a time waster. Does anyone know if Final Cut Pro has this issue? Maybe Adobe could look at some of their code and figure out how to get something as crucial as audio to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just read this thread to find out how to get premier's audio to follow the system default and cant believe thats not an option. Such a pain to switch back and forth from headphones to speakers. Cant believe the solution is to buy a $35 A/B audio switch. Not impressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi liamwhite,

I added this thread to the bug. Please everyone, file bug reports or feature requests.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three years later and this is still an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines