Highlighted

Audio out of sync when exporting H.264

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered the following:

Whenever I export a H.264 in MP4 container, the audio in the resulting file goes about 10 ms out of sync. (575 audio samples to be exact.)

Screenshot:

premiere audio sync.PNG

Green is the original clip, red is the resulting file from export.

I used 25fps in export settings.

To test this I used:

• HD bars and tone that lasts exactly 1 frame @ 25 FPS
  • Cleared / reset the cache
  • Disabled the h.264 acceleration in settings and restarted premiere
  • Rendered the timeline to green
  • Tried to render with Adobe media encoder

The result was always the same, audio is not in sync with the original timeline.

To see if it's just a display issue, I copied the empty space in the start of audio, pasted it 100 times and it was silent. I also brought the video file to cubase and the desync was clearly there as well.

I tried other codecs and they all worked fine and are 100% in sync, including H.264 in .MOV container.

The video is exactly the same in the resulting file and lasts for 1 frame as it's supposed to, the audio starts 10ms late.

I tried to export audio only as MP3, that made the audio go even further out of sync.

I've gotten similiar files from my coworkers using adobe premiere, which is telling me that this is not a problem with my system only.

What is the cause of this and can it be fixed?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Audio out of sync when exporting H.264

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered the following:

Whenever I export a H.264 in MP4 container, the audio in the resulting file goes about 10 ms out of sync. (575 audio samples to be exact.)

Screenshot:

premiere audio sync.PNG

Green is the original clip, red is the resulting file from export.

I used 25fps in export settings.

To test this I used:

• HD bars and tone that lasts exactly 1 frame @ 25 FPS
  • Cleared / reset the cache
  • Disabled the h.264 acceleration in settings and restarted premiere
  • Rendered the timeline to green
  • Tried to render with Adobe media encoder

The result was always the same, audio is not in sync with the original timeline.

To see if it's just a display issue, I copied the empty space in the start of audio, pasted it 100 times and it was silent. I also brought the video file to cubase and the desync was clearly there as well.

I tried other codecs and they all worked fine and are 100% in sync, including H.264 in .MOV container.

The video is exactly the same in the resulting file and lasts for 1 frame as it's supposed to, the audio starts 10ms late.

I tried to export audio only as MP3, that made the audio go even further out of sync.

I've gotten similiar files from my coworkers using adobe premiere, which is telling me that this is not a problem with my system only.

What is the cause of this and can it be fixed?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 03, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to file a bug report:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2017 1
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a bug report as this issue clearly seems like one and has been duplicated by few people already.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same thing here.  Doing some testing, the issue seems to affect all compressed audio formats.  It does not affect uncompressed audio formats.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 04, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on your waveform, that's not the default audio for Bars and Tone.  What audio are you using for the test?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, that is the correct waveform - he is zoomed in on Audio Time Units, so you are seeing actual sine wave rather than the straight line seen in frames view. Just tried it here. Able to fully duplicate his issue (although I am exporting more than one frame, I went a whopping 15 seconds).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2017 1
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is correct. It's the default audio for Bars and Tone, just zoomed in.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm all of the sudden having sync issues too, thought it appears to be any export format (video or audio), and, it appears that it gets more and more out of sync the longer the video.  For example, I'm trying to export a 2 minute video and the beginning is just fine but then the sync gets worse.  I have not updated Premiere recently and this has not been an issue before.  I literally just started happening and again, it's not only h.264.

Eric

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 29, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:  I just did 3 minor changes in my export settings and the audio and video were back in sync.  I will share below.

CHANGES: 

1)  I did what other recommended and I did the Render and Replace.

2)  In Media Encoder I simply cleared the Media Cache Database.

3)  I UNCHECKED the "Keyframe Every" option in the video settings.  This shouldn't make any difference, but it's something I changed and therefore I'm noting it here.

I should have done the above one at a time to better narrow down the issue, but alas it's only 3 things - none of which should cause the audio and video go out of, or back into, sync upon exporting.

FYI SETTINGS:

h.264

23.976 fps

1920x1080

Audio exporting as AAC, 48KHz, 160 Bitrate

Just sharing my update.  Really not sure what the difference was but all I know is that my last export was the first time this project exported IN sync.

Eric

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 29, 2017 1
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it appears that it gets more and more out of sync the longer the video.

Try step 2b.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 29, 2017 0
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is vexing. I'm attempting to export a project with an MP3 as the audio and the export includes the audio, but offset to exclude the first 1.5 or so seconds. This appears to happen just on H.264, with the most updated version of CC.

I've even attempted to create a brand new project, and just export the audio with the MP3 the ONLY thing in the sequence, and it STILL failed to render out the first 1.5 or so seconds. This is insane, and I have to think some sort of bug with the encoder.

Exporting as MPG resolves this. Completely confused.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 05, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the exact same issue. If I export the WAV by itself, all is good. The h264 audio is always slightly late. Is this an h264 codec issue or just an Adobe issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2018 1