Highlighted

Audio out of sync when transfering from one user to another.

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, first post, thanks in advance for any input on this, I'm stumped.

I'll make it quick. 

I have an editor who transfers, sync's and roughly cuts my footage, they do this on a new mac mini.

I then transfer the footage and take his Premiere Pro file to my Windows computer to finish the cut.

It's worked flawlessly for years, now when I open those files it's completely out of sync.  The two cameras stay in sync but the audio is way off. 

I've tried other versions and individually relinking footage etc but nothing has worked. 

I'm open to any and all suggestions so I don't have to relink these files again. 

Thanks in advance. 

TOPICS
Audio, Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Audio out of sync when transfering from one user to another.

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, first post, thanks in advance for any input on this, I'm stumped.

I'll make it quick. 

I have an editor who transfers, sync's and roughly cuts my footage, they do this on a new mac mini.

I then transfer the footage and take his Premiere Pro file to my Windows computer to finish the cut.

It's worked flawlessly for years, now when I open those files it's completely out of sync.  The two cameras stay in sync but the audio is way off. 

I've tried other versions and individually relinking footage etc but nothing has worked. 

I'm open to any and all suggestions so I don't have to relink these files again. 

Thanks in advance. 

TOPICS
Audio, Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 24, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please elaborate on the types of files? Are they contant or variable framerate? If the latter, this could explain the drift in audio.

Also, which version of PPro are both work stations using?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding. 

They are constant frame rate 23.97 timebases for all video and audio recorded.

Using the 14.3.1 (Build 45)

The video files are Braw 23.976 (2840x2160) and the audio is WAV audio is 4800Hz 32-bit float.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020 0
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and does the audio sampling rate of the video files match that of the audio file.  Generally, audio should be 48k  16 bit (or greater) uncompressed (aiff or .wav) for video projects...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020 0
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you ask the original editor to output a file without the synch sound but just the wav file audio.  Hopefully the synch will hold...  and if it doesn't, there's something wrong on his end...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try that and see.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and please let us know if it works.   

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I think we've found the culprit, it was a combination of things, most of which a duplicate file naming issue.

Firstly, the other editor and I were not using the same version, add to that a dual audio recorder setup that unknowingly had the same naming conventions just an episode apart.  Coincidentally during the same style of shooting with the same host, so while it sounded like the same clip, it wasn't.   

My up to date version was grabbing the newer files, even when the proper ones were manually selected.  Only when they were the same Premiere versions did it work.  It's all very odd and shouldn't have happened but did. Thank you both for your help. I appreciate it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0