• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio over modulated

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is crazy ... I have a new Roxio VHS dongle ... and am importing old videos.

When they are on my desktop they play and sound great, But when I import into

Premier the audio is WAY over modulated and distorted, If I gain it down, it still has the distortion and is clipped. The files are MP4.  As a fix I ran the clips through handbrake and VLC / converted them to H264 before importing but still have the same problem. Also opened them in QT and resaved them. Not sure what would solve it, does anyone have an idea to lower the volume (handbrake has a -5db setting but that's not enough) before importing?  I'm not sure if an audio pad would work from the vcr / it's RCA of course. I have an xlr one in a bag. lol.  I don't think premier has an importing preference to knock down audio. This would be nice, 90% of my itunes music I import is over modulated as well.

Any ideas welcome!  I'm on a mac, all software up to date.

TOPICS
Audio , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you import the file into Premiere Pro and right click on it in the Project panel, what does Source Audio Format and Project Audio Format say? Use one of the original files that has not been proceesed by anything else than the Roxio VHS donlge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

source:  48000 Hz compressed stereo

project: 48000 Hz 32bit floating point stereo

Note:  I also edit at home for a local tv station ... I log into my suite remotely. I'm going to throw

some clips into my google drive and open them on that premiere ... see if there's a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

source:  48000 Hz compressed stereo

What happens if you open a clip in Adobe Audition and save the audio to uncompressed audio and import that into Premiere Pro? Compressed audio should work but i have seen/heard issues realted to .mp3 files so it´s worth testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is normal. Those cheap USB capture cards can be a pain in the buttocks when importing into Premiere Pro. Blown out audio funny green flashes etc. The video below might be worth watching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact VHS dongle and went through the same issues. A fix I was able to come up with was by doing as follows:

Open the original captured video in quicktime

Go to file / export as / audio only

Save the m4a file onto your hard drive

Manually rename the .m4a file to .wav *for example - audio.m4a would be renamed to audio.wav*

import the .wav file into premiere or your nle of choice and replace the videos audio with the new version.

Once imported, the file will still be peaking, but when the levels are brought down, the data that was over 0db is recovered.

I believe the reason to be that the software is now reading the file as a WAV, which is uncompressed, so instead of chopping off any data over 0db it allows to retain that data.

Hope this helps! It worked for me at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!!

that sounds like a logical fix, I'll give it a try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines