Highlighted

audio subframe sync

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two audio sources - a boom and a lav that went into two different cameras and are subframe out of sync making it echo-y at times (lesson learned). I went into my edit and zoomed into audio units and corrected it (in a LONG cut). Now the client wants some changes and every time I make new cuts or moves it reverts back to the out of sync situation. Is there any way to lock the new placement of the audio so it doesn't go back out of sync? The mix sounds a lot better with both sources to give presence to the voice and a little bit of the wild sound. I'm not used to mixing sound myself so any help would be MUCH appreciated!

TOPICS
Audio, Editing, How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

audio subframe sync

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two audio sources - a boom and a lav that went into two different cameras and are subframe out of sync making it echo-y at times (lesson learned). I went into my edit and zoomed into audio units and corrected it (in a LONG cut). Now the client wants some changes and every time I make new cuts or moves it reverts back to the out of sync situation. Is there any way to lock the new placement of the audio so it doesn't go back out of sync? The mix sounds a lot better with both sources to give presence to the voice and a little bit of the wild sound. I'm not used to mixing sound myself so any help would be MUCH appreciated!

TOPICS
Audio, Editing, How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you nest both audio files in their own sequence and treat that as one mixed track you can then edit with? You might have to a new waveform if you don't see anything from Clip > Generate Audio Waveform.

Alternatively, maybe you can line things up, make sure to pad the beginning so both tracks align perfectly to 00:00:00 and just export the problematic clip, then re-import it.

[Please use the "Reply" button under the FIRST POST to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback so much! Unfortunately to do that across this 2+ hour cut would be unwieldy. I need to get into each track to mix in timeline as I finish so not sure mixing down will work either. Thanks though!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you screen record or describe exactly what steps you are doing to knock it out of sync. Basic testing here, I have tried nudging audio a few samples and it maintains the offset when cutting/trimming.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't screen record but here's exactly what i'm doing.

I have an audio track with two different sound sources on two audio tracks. They are very slightly out of sync. I Show Audio Time Units in the timeline, zoom into the waveform, then slip one track until it matches perfectly. So far so good. 

However, then if I make a cut to the audio and video, the audio reverts to its initial placement. So I have to repeat the process every time I cut. If I had known what I know now, I would have set this project up completely differently and synced the audio at the beginning and reexported files but its too late now so searching for a fix.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention, it also throws everything i've already synced down the timeline back to its original placement as well. So basically if I've slipped a sequence, any change requires slipping it again. I'll never do it this way again, so really this is a problem that will only happen to me once, but would be very curious if there's something I'm missing!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm unable to duplicate your issue. Did you make sure you Linked your video track to both the other audio tracks?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see the waveform jumping when you add the cut? I presume you don't see the out-of-sync indicators since you haven't linked the clips?

Screenshot 2020-09-21 at 20.25.52.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there Mike, thanks so much for investigating this. The clips are synced even when they're unlinked because they are part of a multiclip? So I do see the out of sync indicator, like this. 

coco11372_0-1600745736006.png

So if I come out of time units and move that bottom track down one frame like this:

coco11372_1-1600745780860.png

Then move it back, the audio automatically reverts subframe back into "sync" (which is subframe out of sync)

coco11372_2-1600745835333.png

Finished this project with a bunch of janky workarounds but very curious if you have any ideas!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also when I flatten audio in the multiclip it doesn't retain the new position. Also reverts back. Knowing what I know now, if I'm in this situation again, I think I would export the sound sources as their own .wav files at the very beginning (they were baked into video) then sync everything together like that so it would be correctly synced from the beginning? I was only listening to one audio source as I was editing so it took me until pretty late in the edit to realize the problem. Appreciate your sleuthing!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0