• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio waveform not showing visually

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having issues with this since updating to 2019. Basically, after importing a clip into the timeline everything is as it should be (video plays, audio plays) but the audio waveform does not show up until it's played through so I cannot visually see the audio waves unless I play/skip through the whole clip, which obviously makes editing a lot slower.

Attached an example. Image 1 is the clip just imported to the timeline and image 2 is after playing through a few seconds (as you can see the audio only shows up after I've played through the clip and the remaining audio waves are still blank)

Any help would be appreciated!

Using Windows and Adobe Premiere Pro 2019.

Audio1.PNG

Audio2.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

First, go to Edit > Preferences > Audio and make sure that the setting "Automatic audio waveform generation" is ticked. If this is un-ticked no waveforms are generated when importing files. This will not affect already imported clips, it will only affect clips you import from now on.

Second, for creating audio waveforms on clips that dont have them, select the clip/s in the Program panel and go to Clip > Generate Aduio Waveform.

If the first trick fails i would have trashed the Preferences in Prem

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Try resetting the Workspaces:

Reset a workspace

Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.

1. Do one of the following:
    • Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
    • Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.

from here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Another option is to click on the timeline display settings button - it's the wrench icon in this pic.... There you'll see an option to turn the waveforms on or off. 

timeline display settings.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 118 Replies 118
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.  Very strange.  It's almost like something in the software was triggered by the date.

-Jeff Hough

Multimedia Producer, ASU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when premier writes the pek file to the high speed scratch drive premiere doesn't see it but when it writes the pek file next to the original file premiere sees the pek  file. I'm confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That shouldn't make a difference ... I've all my cache files of whatever type made on a particular drive I have for all cache files. And it works fine.

What the ... ?

Can't be a permissions issue as if it can write it can certainly read ... this is just nuts.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know mine worked liked that but now it doesn't and I did try put the cache on differ drives thinking it could be a permissions issue. I have tried everything. Whats really confusing it is just audio files , it doesn't matter if it is a video file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is just bizarre.

@Kevin-Monahan ... could you assist?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks because it makes management of these files so much harder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to what I'm finding, premiere will show the waveform of a 5sec audio file but the longer files won't show unless it is zoomed in. Also when I delete the pek file and try to have it generate a waveform it doesn't do it.

update

Well I found a fix, where I put my Cache files in a cache folder on the same shared storage where I put my video files it seems to work.

iT won't work in it is in a local storage drive that I have been using for 5 years now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jbellomo  wrote

iT won't work in it is in a local storage drive that I have been using for 5 years now.

Bad drive?

Try doing Chkdsk:

Chkdsk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No because if it a video file of a small audio file works fine. Only large audio files do not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its so annoying that a simple feature like showing up waveform in 2021 is still not working bug-free, while we're talking about a software that costs 30 bugs or more every month!

adobe should be ashamed, really!

dont get me wrong, i love premiere, i use it for ages, but all this small bugs makes it being just a terrible nerve-killer!

in my case just saving the project and restarting premiere did the trick, but comeon adobe-guys, whats wrong with you? i am surely not the first person that discovered this bug! do your f.... homework! i realy hate it to pay for never finished betaversions! ..to be continued.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! I had the same problem, it solved it for me! 3+ years of headache solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me, thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same. none of those "correct answers" worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting my preferences worked to bring back my waveforms. Thanks for the suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem today and resetting the workspaces fixed it. Well done!  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

samsfloor71@gmail.com
Okay I'm ready

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this issue recently - right-clicking on the audio file in the timeline then doing "render and replace" seemed to fix the issue. Hopefully, you do this before you start actually editing as it creates new audio clips that can't be extended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Windows 10 here - Having the same issue, random waveforms disappear when zooming out. Audio will quit playing randomly without explanation as an added bonus. These are severe bugs, plain and simple. Not user error, not OS issues, not graphics card drivers. Time for Adobe to hire someone besides a single unpaid intern to debug their releases. Incredibly frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an insanely irritating issue that apparently has numerous possible causes. And although only a small number of users suffer from it, if it's you, it's HUGE.

It is apparently related most typically to other things on the local machine.

Sound cards or drivers added by gaming apps are of course one issue, but many having this don't do any gaming. Still, checking for what audio stuff is going on in the background is probably useful.

Setting the default audio input to none helps some.

I've seen a few that were able to use the Adobe CC Cleaner tool to completely remove Pr and all it's associated files and registry entries, reboot, reinstall, and get to work. That tool goes way past a simple uninstall, as it gets to the registry files & everything. May or may not work.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my guy THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's extremely annoying that I have to reset my preferences to fix this. I really have to switch to Davinci soon here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the problem this. Make sure the

save .cfa and .pek media cache files next to original media file when possible

is checked i goes it can't find the files if it not next to the originals.

this is in the Media cache preference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2019 Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I to am having this issue. When the sound clip is playing I can see the levels from the sequence timeline but on my screen its just a flat line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 29, 2019 Mar 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME HERE. AND IT HAPPENED FOR NO REASON

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines