Highlighted

Audio wont stay in sync

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a large project I have been working on in premiere for about 8 months now. The project itself is broken up into 7 different episodes (individual project files) that are then broken up into around 12 scenes per episode (which are nested sequences assembled in a master sequence). This is important because my problem is not consistent across each of the different project files or even the different scenes. 

I have not experienced any issues relating to audio sync since I first synced the video clips (.braw files with prores proxies made in premiere) to the audio clips (.mp3) 8 months ago. However this week I began seeing audio clips being randomly (or sometimes consistently across a scene or episode) shifted about a second forward or backward. The clips were not moved on the timeline, they still appeared in sync with the video, but rather its almost like it was never in sync and premiere has shifted the audio only and then re-cut the clip to the same size as before. 

I have no idea how to stop this from happening or to fix it other than just manually re-sync everything (which on a 2 hour total project would be a substantial amount of time). 

Some technical information:

My version number is 13.1.5 (Build 47)

I know this is not the most recent build, however, it was the newest stable (in my opinion) build at the time of me starting this project. I have bad experiences with moving up version numbers in the middle of projects and this is being edited across multiple machines (lack of backward compatibility adds to my hesitancy). Also didn't ever have a problem for 8 months. 

This is not a vfr issue. One it isnt drifting, two the entire project was shot at 24 frames in the same file format from the same camera. Every audio sync issue that I have found a forum on seems to be pointing to vfr however I am pretty sure that is not the case here. 

Any help with this would be great! Thanks so much in advance

TOPICS
Audio, Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Audio wont stay in sync

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a large project I have been working on in premiere for about 8 months now. The project itself is broken up into 7 different episodes (individual project files) that are then broken up into around 12 scenes per episode (which are nested sequences assembled in a master sequence). This is important because my problem is not consistent across each of the different project files or even the different scenes. 

I have not experienced any issues relating to audio sync since I first synced the video clips (.braw files with prores proxies made in premiere) to the audio clips (.mp3) 8 months ago. However this week I began seeing audio clips being randomly (or sometimes consistently across a scene or episode) shifted about a second forward or backward. The clips were not moved on the timeline, they still appeared in sync with the video, but rather its almost like it was never in sync and premiere has shifted the audio only and then re-cut the clip to the same size as before. 

I have no idea how to stop this from happening or to fix it other than just manually re-sync everything (which on a 2 hour total project would be a substantial amount of time). 

Some technical information:

My version number is 13.1.5 (Build 47)

I know this is not the most recent build, however, it was the newest stable (in my opinion) build at the time of me starting this project. I have bad experiences with moving up version numbers in the middle of projects and this is being edited across multiple machines (lack of backward compatibility adds to my hesitancy). Also didn't ever have a problem for 8 months. 

This is not a vfr issue. One it isnt drifting, two the entire project was shot at 24 frames in the same file format from the same camera. Every audio sync issue that I have found a forum on seems to be pointing to vfr however I am pretty sure that is not the case here. 

Any help with this would be great! Thanks so much in advance

TOPICS
Audio, Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is the sampling rate and bit depth of the mp3's?  Frankly I would never use mp3s to begin with regardless of the sampling rate and bit depth.  Use adobe media encoder to convert to 48k 16 bitt aiff or wav files.  You should be able to unlink the mnp3's from the clips and relink to the aiffs or wav files...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 13, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. I normally would not use .mp3 either, but I did not record the audio and that is what was delivered to me. Could the file type cause issues like that? 

Also I think that the bit rate is usually hanging out around 128kbps (very not great) which is why almost all of it is being re-recorded with foley and adr. But I still need things to stay in sync for the sounds guys to come in and re-record. 

Is there a way to automatically convert and then replace the .mp3 files with .wav or .aiff? The whole project has been edited at this point and we are now just making minor adjustments so it would be significant to have to essentially re-edit the whole thing with the other audio files. 

Thanks again for your help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 13, 2020 0
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the audio is decently organized you can do sort of a bait and switch where you transcode all the media but keep the same file names and then you break the link to the original media and when you relink it you just point Premiere to the new files and tell it to ignore the file extension. This is how working with proxies used to be.

If it's not a crazy amount of audio files to do, you can transcode them and then replace them manually in the Project Panel. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! Yeah its all pretty well organized in a consistent file hierarchy. I was just playing around with this a little. Does the "replace footage" footage feature do the same thing just without the breaking and re-linking? 

Thank you again for your help. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 13, 2020 0
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does, yes. Not a bad move if you don't have hundreds of things. It'll just update in your project.

Another thing that may be worth doing just as a maintenance thing is to clear your media cache. Since this is a long project it may take quite a while for it to reconform everything, but sometimes when I've seen the waveforms go out of sync (not the audio, just the waveform) it can help it get realigned.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds good I will do that too! Upon digging into things this audio is not standardized to one bit rate. I assumed it was. So I think converting everything will help in the end. 

Thanks again

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 13, 2020 0