• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto Save not working?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've put the auto save feature on Premiere Pro CC on save every 5 minutes. However i just worked on a 30 minute project, but it didn't save once? Why is this? It sometimes saves randomly, but during this full 30 minutes it didn't happen once..

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sometimes won't work until you do a manual save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@peru bob ,  I did a manual save, but after 15 minutes still no auto save..

@Jim_simon not sure what i'm suppose to do with the page you sent me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After logging in, click the Vote button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current AutoSave feature is...flawed.

There is a better way.

Instant Auto Save – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the hell is wrong with Adobe for not having a proper auto save???? It is one of the oldest features and most crticial in NLE! I am shocked and completely pissed off because they have these half baked programs! GET WITH IT ADOBE!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they clowns had to pay me every hours I have lost because of crashes and unsave work.  I wouldn't have to make videos anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to double check your Project Settings.

I was ready to rip my hair out after loosing 3 hours of work because sometimes when you're in the "ZONE" you forget the simple things like "ctrl+s".

Anyway after much searching I found my Auto Saves. They were in my documents folder.

You know.. It's always the last place you look.

My projects settings defaults them there - not sure why, pretty sure that wasn't always the case.

BUT - Be sure to check your Project Settings when starting a new project that's how you tell Premiere where you want to save your Auto Saves.

Screenshot 2020-09-29 170740.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you!!!

they have one of the most complex systems but cant auto save 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, still no help.. is there just no way to fix this? I'm paying for this program, so i would expect it to work..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, improving autosave is not high on Adobe's priority list.

Make sure to vote as Jim suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spirare  wrote

...i would expect it to work..

Yes, it should work. I'll see if I can help.

But first, let me say that even if Auto Save works exactly as designed, most users believe that, for safety, it is prudent to a) save your project often and b) use "Save a Copy" (my preference) or "Save As" with iteration numbers to a separate hard drive. For example, Auto Save will overwrite the oldest version once you reach the number of versions to save. Prior to 2013, it would save even though no changes are made to the project. And in any event, if you have corruption and/or a hard drive crash,  you may lose your main project file and all your autosaves.

There have been changes in autosave in recent versions. So what specific dot version of PR are you using?

In File -> Project Settings -> Scratch Disks: where are your autosaves set? Are there any files saved there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late answer..

I'm not sure what you mean with dot version? i use Premier Pro CC 2018 at the moment.

they get saved at the same location as the project, which is user/*****/documents/adobe/premiere pro/12.0

There are auto save files in there. but for instance, with the last project i worked on it for 30 minutes, with auto save set to every 5 minutes. Yet it only auto saved once..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dot version you are on is probably 2018.1.2 (the final version of 2018). For our purpose, it doesn't matter: I don't believe there were any autosave changes in 2018; there have been in 2019 and prior to 2018.

Does this folder exist?

".../documents/adobe/premiere pro/12.0/Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save"?

Let's test the basic function for your system. I just tested 2018, and it behaves as expected for me.

Change your autosave preferences to 2 minutes.

Create a new test project.

Save it once.

Import any short video. (i.e. a change has occurred in the project. The 2 minute clock starts).

Wait 2 or 3 minutes; look in the autosave folder. Anything there? (should be).

Save the project.

Drag the video to the new icon. (Creates a sequence; i.e. new change in project.)

Do not save the project.

Wait 2 or 3 minutes; look in the autosave folder. A new file there? (should be).

Now do nothing - make no changes and do not save. Wait about 10 minutes.

There are unsaved changes, but there is already an autosave of it. Look in the autosave folder; there should be no further autosaves generated. (2013 and before, that was not the case.)

Does this work as expected for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2019 Apr 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it all, and it does work like you said, it did auto save both times. and not the third time when i didnt change anything.

It's weird though that when i'm working on a project, it normally doesn't do this, or way less often, it was set to 5 minutes before this, but i can see on the last project i worked on it only did it twice in 30 minutes. while i was actively working on it.

Is it important to manually save before i start a project? because i normally don't do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some users say to do one manual save. I don't find it necessary, but no reason not to. And I save and save a copy a LOT.

Activity (e.g.keystrokes), suppresses the autosave, but it takes very little inactivity for it to trigger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Stan+Jones  wrote

I save and save a copy a LOT.

I do as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I save and save a copy a LOT.

I don't.  Resolve has the Live Save feature I'm recommending below.  And it works brilliantly.  Though crashes in Resolve are rare for me personally, I've never lost work because of one.

Instant Auto Save – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a project is created, I immediately save the project as this locates it to a client specific drive/directory.

Even with my autosave set to every 2 minutes, I press Command (Control) + S to save the project every time I do something I like. This is a habit I have gotten into since working on Avid when they first came out. It's an easy habit to get in to, and will save a little grief when things go wrong.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I iterate ... Save-as routinely, and keep proceeding in the new project file. Keeping a way back.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, well it works a bit better now on 2 minutes, still not great though.

I'll try to remember to manually save, thanks for the ctrl + S tip, a lot easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post is a year old, but I thought I'd comment anyway to possibly help someone because I was about to lose hope:

My premiere crashed and the autosave folder for that project seemed to not exist like for my other projects.

Sometimes when it autosaves, it gets sent to a temp folder so try typing in the top bar (for PC users)

C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Temp 

(Name being your name or the name of the user for the computer you're using)

A huge list of files might come up, but if you type the name of your project in the search box, it may come up like mine did. 

I did not even try to look in my C: drive since I save all of my projects on my D: drive due to space, but it ended up in a temp folder on that drive. 

It's obviously too late for OP, but I hope this helps someone else who may stumble on this forum. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D : drive*

curse that D: emoji

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. I had to re-edit multiple times just because I didn't find autosave files in the folder I set while creating the project. Have you found the solution to why it's saving in the temp folder instead of the place where we set it while creating the project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure it has full permissions to do so. That is typically the problem for this. And external drives have at times been problematic.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines