Highlighted

Auto saves didn't auto save.

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very weird problem, and has never happened before.

I have auto saves set to every 2 minutes, because premiere crashes a lot for me. I was working on a project for 2 hours, and I saw the auto save window and bar pop up many times. Then premiere crashed, so I opened up the project again only to see I lost 2 full hours of work. I checked the project file, and the existing auto saves, all of them said last modified: 2 hours ago. I have no idea what happened, and this is very stressful. I can't seem to find others with this problem, and I have no idea why it happened. That was the only sequence opened at the time so it wasn't saving a different sequence or anything. This makes no sense at all.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Peru Bob | Adobe Community Professional

Do not rely on autosaves,  Autosave in Premiere Pro has never been reliable.

Save different versions of a project as you go along at regular intervals to a backup drive different from the drive on which your projects are located.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Auto saves didn't auto save.

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very weird problem, and has never happened before.

I have auto saves set to every 2 minutes, because premiere crashes a lot for me. I was working on a project for 2 hours, and I saw the auto save window and bar pop up many times. Then premiere crashed, so I opened up the project again only to see I lost 2 full hours of work. I checked the project file, and the existing auto saves, all of them said last modified: 2 hours ago. I have no idea what happened, and this is very stressful. I can't seem to find others with this problem, and I have no idea why it happened. That was the only sequence opened at the time so it wasn't saving a different sequence or anything. This makes no sense at all.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Peru Bob | Adobe Community Professional

Save different versions of a project as you go along at regular intervals to a backup drive different from the drive on which your projects are located.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 31, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2018 0
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, looks like my progress is lost, but I'll be sure to actually save more frequently next time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2018 0
Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your project is corrupt without you knowing so will your auto saves be.

As Bob says: do a Save a Copy on regular intervals.

Make new project and import old one: see how that goes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you end up finding a solution? i am having the same problem. It says my autosave is on but i look in the autosave folder and its empty

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2019 0
Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you do an initial manual save? That seems to trigger the auto save process at project starting.

I'm a longtime computer user that does both Ctrl-S  every little bit and does an iterative save-as every so often continuing on in the iterative version. Just because well, computers being computers.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2019 0
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is not normal behavior. 

do a search for your project name and see if the autosaves are someplace unexpected...    Never seen it never saving. 

Also, try changing the autosave location and the autosave interval and see if that makes a difference.  You might try resetting your preferences...  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, but this is completely unacceptable for a paid software of this size. 9/10 times I create a million project files and I never get crashes or any problems, but I swear every time this 1/10 cases occurs where I forget to create multiple files along the process it crashes and I'm left with a completely empty project after hours of work!!!! despite seemingly 100 autosaves. Might as well disable this function all along as it is compleeetely useless. This is very frustrating adobe, reliability should be a top priority, not new features and tools. PS: my editing PC is highly specced and does not crash due to low performance.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 18, 2020 0
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't ever actually save your work? I can't imagine any experienced computer user never ever saving their crucial work. In any program ...

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 18, 2020 1
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously you didn't read my comment.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a**hole insensitve comment

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil helps a lot of people here.  and I think he's allowed some slack when he sometimes plays the stern teacher.  And maybe one thing Neil misses here is that because he has a great deal of experience, he may have a subconscious awareness that something's wrong before things go seriously south.  I know I sometimes get a sense that things just aren't behaving properly and do a save as or check my autosave folder to make sure it's saving at the intervals I've set. 

Compared to most forums on the internet, we're pretty polite here.  But it couldn't hurt to develop a thicker skin.   I had my knuckles wrapped by an adobe employee recently for what I thought was something was milder than this... 

I think what gets frustrating is people complaining about Premiere when many, many people are working without serious issues.  It's not easy to diagnose problems from a distance and people are not always answering all the questions posed by people trying to help.  If you both want to troubleshoot your problems, I'd be happy to start over from a quiet place and see if we can figure out what's going on.  I think it would make sense for each of you to start a new thread.    

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 1
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did either of do a system wide search for your project name?  I've had this happen and when I did a search I found the autosave folder in an unexpected location.  Probably operator error but regardless, I found most of my missing work...  Also, do NOT put your autosave folder on a network or cloud location...  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I resolved the problem and am really embarrassed at my tone. I have no business being like that. I really enjoy using premiere pro and my problem this time was part hardware based and part user error I figured out. Apologies, am trying to figure out how to delete my comment. Was not being myself because of lost work. Mea Culpa.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 1
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you have no reason to be embarrassed.  Being able to admit when you're wrong is totally admirable and much rarer than it should be.   We've all made these kind of mistakes and there's no reason to delete your post (if you figure out how, let me know.  I'm sure I've got a few I'd rather not be preserved).   In the context of the entire thread, you did fine.  But if you're up to it, please tell us exactly what mistakes you made so others can avoid them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

new premiere pro is so unstable and unreliable. I am looking for an alternative. This level of stress simply can't be tolerated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take it back. It was my fault this time. Sorry.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 0
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just glad you're working again!

I totally understand frustration and moments of hmmm ... less than perfectly polite thoughts or comments? I think that's a built-in part of any video post-process work I know of. Any type of work, any app ... it's gonna happen.

In fact, it's from being ticked beyond belief a few times over losing things that I FINALLY really truely learned to set up a save routine that a few of the curmudgeonly types that were on here when I started a few years back pushed.

Create a project, save IMMEDIATELY.

Every semi-major step in the process, do an iteritive save-as, continue working in that new project file.

And ... the auto-saves go on a different drive than the project files, in case of drive issues.

After a bit, you do it fast and don't even think about it. And when something happens (that's not an if, but a when, as it will happen!) ... you have a better chance of being able to salvage the job without much wasted time.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020 1