Autosave won't remain in the background

Explorer ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time Premiere autosaves, it pushes the app workspace in the foreground, overtaking whatever I'm watching or keystroking. Is this a bug or a feature? I'm interrupted every 15 minutes by this routine, which is compelling evidence for disabling the autosave.

TOPICS
Error or problem, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Autosave does not run in the background. So yes you will have to stop every 15 minutes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just remember that unless you're manually saving at a regular interval, you're playing with fire.  I have my autosave set to 5 minutes and frankly, never have a problem with it.  Premiere crashes very rarely for me, maybe once a month, but it has saved my bacon a number of times.   

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Auto save is not that reliable. If you project goes corrupt without you knowing, so will your auto save and end up with nothing if you don't make a separate backup.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gotta say I can't remember having a corrputed autosave.  Not saying it can't happen, just haven't seen it except in a few threads here.  I keep all my project files in a folder mirrored on dropbox which has worked without issues for at least a few years (and makes things much easier as I work from a few different locations, using sneakernet for my media drive).  Dropbox does maintain a number of versions although I've never checked how many versions are backed up...(just checked and with my approx $10 a month plan versions are maintained for one month).  So this seems to be a pretty foolproof plan.  Not to say I don't do a save as everyonceinawhile.  Obviously if I have a crash and Premiere restores the file and If I want to preserve the project at a certain point in time.  

If anyone sees any flaws with my workflow, please let me know...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a crash it is not uncommon for Premier not to restore the file.

Most users who come here with crashes and no auto save to fall back on don't have a back-up.

I don't trust the cloud for backups. Worse case scenario: no internet, no backup.

FAQ: When to use "Save A Copy," or "Save As," and ...  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

dropbox has been totally reliabe with this workflow and since the project files are not that big, I can always set my phone up as a wifi hotspot to be able download the project file.   and If the computer is always on, dropbox will update the local file as soon as it's updated on another computer.  Believe me, I would not trust a workflow where you're actually working off a project file on a cloud based solution.  But as a backup and synching workflow this has worked great (so far...).   I also keep my project autosave folder on my media drive which I'm carrying with me, so if I don't internet access but do have my media drive, I can always access the project file that is automatically saved in the autosave folder (a feature that confused me when I first noticed it).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines