• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Support AV1 Video Encoding and Decoding

Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AV1 has been becoming a more and more popular codec for not just streamers, but also content creators and filmmakers. Video hosting platforms, such as YouTube, are now implementing AV1 as a way to easily stream video content to audiences at lower bandwidths. Filmmakers, and especially content creators, are asking for AV1 for creating high quality content without too much compromise for file sizes and ease of use when viewing.

Having the benefit of AV1 video will help with preserving the best image quality at a much smaller and efficient file size than codecs like H.264. HEVC/H.265 is supported in Premiere Pro and it's a very nice codec. In fact, both HEVC and AV1 perform very similarly. However, it would be wonderful to have the flexibility of additional codecs that are gaining traction in modern media.

HEVC isn't supported everywhere, largely due to their licensing slowing down adoption. Meanwhile, AV1 is open source, so it would be easier to adopt without the concern for licensing; thus, making it more popular with platforms than HEVC.

Competing video editing platforms have also supported AV1 encoding and decoding for some time and I have been wanting Adobe to look into it for a while.

Overall, I highly recommend Adobe include AV1 encoding and decoding support for Premiere Pro. I strongly believe it will heavily encourage more people to create the best content with a codec that is extremely efficient as it is excellent at preserving image quality.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Export , Import and ingest , Interoperability or 3rd party tools , Performance or Stability , Projects or collaboration , User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
63 Comments
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I read that the AV1 Codec is ready. When it will implement to Premiere Pro?

Hallo

ich hab gelesen, der AV1 Codec ist jetzt fertig. Gibt's schon irgendwelche Infos wann dieser Codec in Premiere Pro eingeführt wird? Und ob das auch dann für meine Geforce GTX 1070 gilt, also ich mir der rendern kann

https://www.golem.de/news/videocodec-av1-ist-offiziell-fertig-1803-133578.html

MfG

Lukas

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you and I or anyone begins creating content using the AV1 codec, there needs to be support in video players such as web browsers. The press release you linked to speaks of things happening in 2019 and 2020 as this new technology rolls out.

H.265 has been out for a while and I've not seen much happening there yet either.

Patience...

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff for the quick answer

I hoped that would maybe go faster. At H.265 I see the problem that the licensing costs are far too big. I had now in the first effect, less patience, or wanted to ask Adobe, what their plan looks like. The earlier I upload smaller videos the better

MfG

Lukas

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Circling back around on this over a year later. Has Adobe announced any plans to implement AV1 encoding in their software? I know they have HEVC H.265 support already implemented.

At this time, YouTube is planning to switch over completely to AV1, Netflix is planning on implementing it, Vimeo just announced that they're backing it and implementing it, and Facebook announced plans to gradually roll out support for it as well.

This tells me there's plenty enough support for Adobe to take notice and do something about it at this time.

Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not announce anything except the sneak previews at big events.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Three years later and there's still no support, even though several YouTube videos seem to use this codec (I'm sometimes forced to download such videos in a professional capacity and it seems, 4K and 2K content is coded in AV01, thus forcing me to re-encode the files using Hand Brake). It's annoying... but hey, Premiere doesn't even support mkv files and those are omnipresent in today's media world (OBS studio, anyone?)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will also go back to AV1... Today is 8/11/2022 and AV1 support is still missing in Premiere Pro... ADOBE please wake up!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2022 almost ended, there's AV1 support every where, expect guess what? Premiere fking pro!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings from May, 2023! We're almost halfway through this year, and as fate would have it, still no support for AV1 in Premiere Pro.

One would imagine by now, seeing the support from AMD, NVIDIA, Samsung and other powerhouses of technology, that Adobe might want to consider adoption of the open and royalty-free coding format.

And yet here we are, in this, the darkest timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2023 Jul 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Av1 for streamers is very good and helps a lot to be able to edit clips, but Premiere doesn't support it natively. There is only one plugin that is $90. Please Adobe, implement av1 now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How haven't they yet?...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having to pay an extra $90 premium to a 3rd party makes adoption feel really discouraging, especially for open source software... AV1 is a huge space saver for video files, transcoding them back to h264 to import is wasteful and time consuming, especially for long videos. Please prioritize this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2023 Aug 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely, very disappointing to see that this hasn't been implemented. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHY is the av1 codec STILL not supported? It's less hard drive space for the same quality! For the ridiculous price I pay every year for the full suite, it better be added! Otherwise discount my price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far as I can see, the only GPUs that support this at this time are some of the ARC and some of the Nvidia 4000 series, just launched recently. So it's not well supported by hardware yet, no matter how 'cool' the codec may be. It will probably come in eventually, as the hardware gets more comfortable with it, and more numerous among the user base.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All ARC GPUs support encoding and decoding the standard at a pretty accessible price today. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And Arc GPUs are what percent of the GPUs in use in video post work ... ? Very low, actually.

Like a ton of other things, I think this will come in over time, and we'll be annoyed by how long it takes. But they have a long list of things from always working on improved Red, Sony, and Arri "major" camera media (which those companies keep changing) ... keeping up with changes in the more mid-level production cams ... getting the ever and quickly expanding log formats within Premiere's understanding ... and keeping up with OS and hardware changes ... and on and on.

And of course, folks like me pressuring them for major changes to their color management system and color correction capabilities ... all the people wanting better Fuji support, and on and on ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not challenging what ARC's market share is, I want to make sure the narrative is accurate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course.

I was commenting about that as everything ... and I do mean everything ... is relative. There aren't that many users out there with kit that makes full use of AV1 media at this time. Or at least, efficient use of it, during editing.

And given the long list of other things on the developer's priority spreadsheets, well ... while how many users are affected is not the only consideration, but it is certainly a noted one.

As users, we always want everything possible, and we want it now. I'm certainly no different. I've also commented that I think Adobe could provide larger staffs, and admittedly, Premiere actually has a fair number more staffers than say three years ago.

I want more staffers though ... don't we all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All intel arc cards all nvidia 4000 series and all amd 7000 series cards all support av1 basically every new card on the market supports it, this will mean every new laptop also as they use most recent cards, also everyone uses OBS so a payed premium 'pro' editing suite not supporting this in 2023 is a joke and adobe clearly dont want the custom of youtube creators, im not paying 90 for an plug-in, infact why should i need to i pay for this service! Looks like im cancelling and moving to davinci resolve, seams it just works over there without a plug-in. This is a joke, think Adobe needs to remove 'pro' from this app as in 2023 with no av1 support for the recoding app everyone uses. Maybe Premier Amateur 2020 is more fitting than pro 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also ALL NVIDIA 4000 SERIES and AMD 7000 SERIES support Av1 encoding, how much market share does Amd have? How much does Nvidia Have?? Also every new laptop be8ng released because of new cards will support it. And most people use OBS its a joke. DAVINCI RESOLVE SUPPORTS IT SO...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your concept of how fast new GPUs take over is ... intriguing. Flawed, however. And that misconception, in my view, negates your main point.

My current desktop is a 24 core Ryzen, 128GB of RAM, and a 2080Ti. Dual internal Nvme SSDs, one for OS/Apps, the other for all internal cache usage.

I'm not having any trouble whatever with playback of Red. Arri, Sony, and Blackmagic media. Not expecting to upgrade anything any time soon. So ... I've got a rig that does well with Pr, Ae, Au, and Resolve. And isn't close to the 4000 series.

A massive lot of the users are on 2000 and 3000 series cards, getting decent workflows, and won't be feeling a need to upgrade next week either.

My laptop was a top end Acer Triton with a lappie version 2080Ti when it came out four years back. It still does pretty well with Pr, but ... Resolve 18 is such a dog on it I removed it.

If past practice and experience are an indication, it will be another 3-4 years before the majoriy of users are on a 4000 series card.

So yes, it would be most awesome if the devs got us AV1 soon. But it's not a deal breaker for any but a few users.

And ... as someone who works for/with/teaches pro colorists, mostly based in Resolve, I'm on the LGG and BlackMagic forums as much as "here". Work in Resolve daily.

As an editor, R still has a ways to go to catch up to Pr. Not nearly as many keyboard shortcuts, a pretty locked-down UI not nearly as customizable as Pr, the multicam and transcription are way behind Pr, there's quite a few of the working steps that both Pr and Avid allow for timeline working that aren't built into Resolve yet ... so yes, you can edit there. I've got good friends who love it.

But ... as in all things, there's tradeoffs. Oh ... and absolutely NO ProRes RAW in Resolve, and ... don't even ask about it on their forums. Their staffers get kinda ... testy ... if you push about that. Clearly, that ain't happening anytime this millenium.

But ... everyone's mileage always varies. If Resolve works well for you, go for it. Competition being a very good thing. As are options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're so right!

I mean adobe definetely made their homework with version 2024, becoming a more serious competitor in comparison to DaVinci Resolve again.
Better stablity, better performance, Intel Deep Link support, live restore after crashing.

But there are also weird problems apperaing, which did not appear in v2023 like exporting very long footage failed and half the lenght of the video is missing.
I can work around all those little problems, but theres one thing i cant understand, which turned out to get more and more important, caused by lack of storage on my sdd - and that's freaking AV1 Support.

If DaVinci Resolve wouldn't have a completely different workflow, i definetely woud switch to it, but i can`t. It would take so much time to relearn things i used with adobe premiere pro. So i would be unproductive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Nov 12, 2023 Nov 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm reading through this thread and it sounds like you are trying desperately to cling on to your weak argument in an attempt to defend Adobe.  If Adobe had AV1 support, I'd go buy a graphics cards that supports that as well.  If not, there is also an option to encode using software if one is OK with the speed.  "software" encoding is more accurate than hardware, too.  Are you going to say now that only newest CPU can software decode?  

There is a reason why everyone left this thread.  I won't come back here either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2023 Nov 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why on earth would I be trying to defend Adobe? That is such a weird assumption. Huge corporations can take care of themselves just fine, thank you. I don't care about them myself. Just use the products that are useful for me.

I'm a practical guy, and if you actually like ... read my words, and don't try to add in preconceptions or your own assumptions, well ... it's totally from a practical viewpoint.

That's all.

Votes

Translate

Translate