Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AVG Antivirus blocking all my CC apps

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello CC members,

This mainly an information to a seemly common problems, but if you have any suggestions my questions are at the end. Thank you.

I have a new PC, Windows 10 / 64 bit installed. I installed all my required CC apps (Pr, Lr, Ps, Ae) and used them very well on my fast machine (sorry, it's just a good feeling).

Later on, I decided to install AVG Antivirus FREE.

After that, none of the Creative Cloud apps where able to open.

• Opening Premiere Pro, I get following message: "Premiere Pro could not find any capable video modules. Please update your Video display drivers and start again"
    The starting image freezed at loading ExporterQuicktimehost.prm
  • After effects was crashing just after opening
  • Lightroom and Photoshop couldn't open at all

There are many topics about this issue on the forum. All relating to Graphic card issues, BIOS issues, ... I tried the proposed solution but no change in my problem.

After long reflexion and testing around i uninstalled AVG and now i can work again! Problems are gone.

Does anyone have the same problem with AVG?

Which free antivirus do you recommend?

Did I do something wrong in the setup?

Thank you in advance for any help/info from your side.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 09, 2016 Apr 09, 2016

Hi,

Here's a KB doc I just wrote: AVG software causing errors

For now, we're recommending disabling or uninstalling the software.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most applications should allow exceptions/exclusions, including user selected programs to pass through the firewall.  I would read up on the AVG forum or documentation on how to do it.  Usually, when you install an antivirus/firewall app, it should have a learning mode when applications are first run, asking if you wish to block or allow the application through.  Check for that feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't install any A/V software.  If you know what you're doing, you won't need it.

If you don't know what you're doing, you're not ready to be using this software.  Editors today really do need to be tech savvy.  Just being creative isn't enough any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim_Simon wrote:

Don't install any A/V software.  If you know what you're doing, you won't need it.

If you don't know what you're doing, you're not ready to be using this software.  Editors today really do need to be tech savvy.  Just being creative isn't enough any more.

LOL.  Only if you keep the machine offline, never install third party apps or share files from external sources, sure.  Like avoiding an accident, don't drive a car or leave the house. 

The real answer is not blinding trusting an AV application at the default settings.  Read up about it's features.  Learn what a firewall is and how to allow exceptions for trusted applications.  The net is a minefield, and so is clicking links from unknown sources/emails, etc.   Even with good habits, nobody is perfect.  I use Norton, it warns me of sites to avoid in searches and it has caught some things from files provided by clients with infected machines.

I've fixed a lot of machines from friends whom had the same "I'm careful, I don't need it mindset".  To see their eyes open when running a scan on their machines revealing all kinds of trojans and spyware, (not every piece of hacked code is meant to bring a machine down and you'll never know you have it until you scan for it).  You just might want to scan your PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only if you keep the machine offline, never install third party apps or share files from external sources, sure.  Like avoiding an accident, don't drive a car or leave the house. 

I don't think that's true at all.  I have not one problem on this front, and I take my own advice.

I also know what I'm doing, which is the key to success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that's true at all.  I have not one problem on this front, and I take my own advice.

I also know what I'm doing, which is the key to success.

It's a foolish approach.  Today's hacker has grown up and have changed their tactics from seek and destroy to secretly deploy.  They want bank accounts, personal information, tracking of habits, etc. so they can steal identities, sell information, or even worse, hi-jack and demand ransom.  Many will simply use your connection as a silent VPN, piggy-backing off or your IP to do their deeds.  Without scanning software, you simply won't know this is going on, (and they don't want you to know either).  Bought a new laptop for the wife last year, Windows 8.1, touted as secure right out of the box (set it up according to recommendations), after two months use, noticed something odd.  Installed Norton and got an eye opener, (will never use MS' version AV again - you get what you pay for).

I build workstations and used to program stuff.  Hackers are smart people.  For real peace of mind, scan your machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For real peace of mind, scan your machine.

I do.  I'm saying that Microsoft's built-in scanner is sufficient, if you know what you're doing.  (And editors should know what they're doing.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim.  You're really not helping the OP here.  Rather than scolding or giving blanket answers ("You don't need AV", "You should remedy that"), wouldn't it be easier to allow the OP to learn by giving real advice on tasks to perform?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The task to perform would be uninstalling AVG, which is the supposed cause of the issue.

The 'scolding' (as you call it) was simply the reasoning behind the task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The task to perform would be uninstalling AVG, which is the supposed cause of the issue.

Not quite.  Others have reported that it works fine for them.  The OP needs to read up and understand how to use the tool.  Simply dropping the tool and being exposed to threat is not the solution.  Should attempts to fix/correct the software prove useless, then I recommend that the OP find another AV.  Even then, that AV may also block Adobe components and OP is no further along in resolving.

The 'scolding' (as you call it) was simply the reasoning behind the task.

Was also not warranted if so obvious.

Unless the OP reports back, I think we're done, here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

We have reported the issue to the concerned team and will go ahead and check for a possible cause which might be blocking any service(s) that prevents launching of an Adobe application.

I will post/update once we figure the possible defect/cause and the remedy of this issue.

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2016 Jul 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a load of  crap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2016 Jul 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Which part?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have AVG running without any issue.

If you think its the culprit (which I very much doubt): de-install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem recently and found out that it is the AVG Linkscanner Surf-Shield stopping it for some odd reason. (I'm not sure how to actually stop it from blocking what link it's trying to access nor do I know the link.)

Have you tried deactivating the web protection part of AVG and then testing that out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use AVG, but there should be documentation in the help file, or online instructions about granting permissions for user selected apps.  Read the funky manual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys for sharing your opinion.

I am not against AVG at all. I ve been using it for years now and will have a look again soon or later.

But to my surprise, this morning any of my apps can start. why? I have no idea!  not even an error message.

yesterday i was able to work facing several crashes (at least 10+).

these bugs upset me!

I am not a technician. Just a user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Temporarily disable AVG and try running the applications.  If it works, go to the AVG forum and ask/search for help.

Open windows firewall (allow a program through the firewall) and see if Creative cloud and PPro are in the allowed access list and that the box is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a technician. Just a user.

You should remedy that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I think we shall close this discussion. it goes nowhere...

By The way, I used CCleaner to get rid off a lot of registry from AVG... and for now it works!

Thanks Peferling

Thanks Jim Simon, but don't be so rude. (As a car driver, do you know the entire mechanics & electronics of your car? If yes, good for you. When you go to the restaurant, I hope the cook don't tell you you can cook yourself!). I know the IT basics, but don't need engineering technical skills to work on creative programs! I know what I need, for the rest I ask and learn.

So for me this topic is closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!

I just wanted to post about this, because for the past 3 days I am trying to fix TRIAL versions of Premiere pro, Audition and After Effects - to make them open on my comp. Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign are ok.

So, after many reinstalls, and re-downloads, I realised it must be something in my system.

Apss were just frozen, few seconds after I started them. Also, tab on my taskbar for started application was EMPTY, absent of name.

I turned off AVG FREE temporarily, and all seems fine, apps are working ok.

So, I uninstalled AVG, and am trying to install it with apps open, but I do not have faith it will work, just something to try ...

I also tried earlier to add to AVG exceptions to ppropriate folders for apps in Program files, and in roaming Folder also, no luck. It seems some file from other location is stuck on AVG check.

It would be nice workaround of this problem if we could at least find out what are problematic files (i also tried dynamiclibrary.exe, as I saw in LOG file it is last thing app started, but no luck, so it must be next thing that app is trying to load after dynamiclink...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I suspected, reinstalling AVG with apps open did not help at all

Just for the record: new version of AVG with AVG zen is problematic, older one was ok (I've just reinstalled windows and fresh avg with it ...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to clean registry with CC cleaner - no luck.

And I just installed Nick Collection plugin for photoshop, it also doesn't work, ant it freezes Photoshop, until I disable AVG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Try disabling the two web services Link Scanner and Online Shield as in the screenshot instead of whole AVG.

AVG resolution.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works, thanks. And it's faster than having to temporarily disable AVG to launch.

Just hoping there's an option in the near future that allows us to work within CC while our AVG is at full pelt. It's a bit annoying having to constantly turn the link scanner on and off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines