Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AVI files - no video only sound problem

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2011 Mar 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I am experiencing some very strange and _very_ annoying issues with my Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 software - my .AVI files have no video.

I have recorded a lot of video for a music video remake on my camera: Toshiba Camileo X100 in HD (720p60frames).

I play them all fine in Windows Media Player and VLC Media Player and such, but when i import to premiere, i only get audio - NO video.

I have searched around the Internet for a solution - but found none - this is really getting on my nerve, as i have been looking forward to edit my video .

The solution which would be working, was to download Super (a converter program) and convert my AVI files to MP4, H.264/AVC with codec AAC LC, but this will take years, and i am also having some troubles finding the correct video quality as the original file - ergo, i don't want to loose any quality when converting. Converting all my files will take years - got around 10 GB - and i only see this as an emergency solution.

I bet there MUST be a fix for this, so my AVI files will work properly for Adobe Premiere CS5. I need help - please, help!

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I would just say that i have been working with AVI files before, for another project, but these where recorded with FRAPS on my computer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 29, 2011 Mar 29, 2011

There must be another solution!

There is; transcoding is a waste of time, space, and quality:

1. Download and install VLC.
  2. In the folder containing your AVI files, create a new text document called "avi2mp4.bat" (without the quote marks). Be sure it has the .BAT extension; you'll have to remove the .TXT extension that is added by default.
  3. Paste the following into the batch file and save it:
    @ECHO OFF
    for %%a in (*.avi) do "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc" -I dummy "%%a" --sout=#:file{dst="%%~na"

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin Brougham is God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It works perfect!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of you who can't find a solution, here's what worked for me, go to Control Panel/Device Manager/ and disable your onboard Display adapter. (Mine was Intel HD Graphics 4600 - I was using this for a 3rd monitor).  Let the Nvidia or Radeon card do the work for you.  That's it, hours of frustration solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Display Adapter is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460.   I'm afraid to disable it.  How can it do the work if it's disabled?

Strange but the only way I can view them is with Windows Movie Maker, but they won't open in Premiere CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the NVIDIA 460 is your ONLY display adapter, then my solution may not work for you.  I have an onboard display adapter in addition to my GTX 560 that was interfering with the video being able to play.  My only recommendation is update your Nvidia driver.  Other than that, keep searching online for a solution.  It will come.  Good luck, and keep us posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jerwin,

Thanks for the post. Yes, a lot of issues crop up with dual GPU systems where the less powerful one (like your Intel card) will have out of date drivers, etc. Best thing you can do is update that driver, but glad you found something else that works for you.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy day!  I did an update on my NVIDIA 460 GeForce GTX 460 and it seems to have fixed much of the problem with old AVI files, but I don't know if it is a powerful card in today's world.  Seemed like too simple a solution...one I should have done long ago.  Hopefully I'll be able to use my old AVI clips now in PP now.  Thanks for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2014 Jan 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I had this initial problem of sound only.
I created AVI files using Premiire Pro 5 or 6 or whatever the release was was way back in 99/2000.  I exported and stored the AVI files as 'Master Copies'.  
Today I dug them out and moved them onto my PC and they are only sound.  CS3 wont import. Media player  won tplay...   (on my old PC  VIsta Ultimat) .
So used VLC as advised.  Couldnt get it to work,

I played the AVI file in VLS and the pure video clips between titles and transitions plays perfect.

But any transition or Title's scrolling etc... is unreadable , massively pixellated etc.  V Strange..

The VLS convert bat file mentioned at the start of this gives the error. below  :- ( see image attached... )

What is frustrating is that these AVI's were created with Adobe 5 or 6 .. They are from 2000/2001    i still have CS3 and use CS6 as current. Neither will import them.. just Audio. 

All I want is a MASTER COPY that will store for futre,  and play NOW on a SMart TV, via NAS/Media Svr in MP4 or whatever.

Any ideas ?

vlcerror1.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>created AVI files

Exactly what is inside those AVI files?

Codec & Format information, read both links in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

For PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to W7 PC.  Running CS6, Divx etc..  Same status. CS6 wont read it. States "unsupported or damaged file"

VLS plays it but transitions and Titles are like this still ... Below is a still from a rolling title...

VLS-Image1.jpg

Installed Gspot.  Seems to indicate all codecs are available.

GSpot-1.jpg

Does that help anyone help me ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2014 Feb 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh well... i guess its a damaed file.   Got another master on DV tape somewhere... now I just need to work out howto capture from DV Tape nowadays. Dig out the old Camcorder and some old firewire cable... think I've still got a firewire port on an old PC.   !!! Fun & Games.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2014 Feb 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i guess its a damaged file.   Got another master on DV tape somewhere.

Unfortunately, it is starting to look like damage/corruption.

Did you locate another file to test?

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2014 Feb 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill and all,

I've also concluded corruption. Not header though since it ONLY the transitions and Title sections that wont play.  
However,  I now have all the master AVI files that I saved to a HDD long time back. About 10 per year for 1996 through 2002. 

Found a firewire cable and brought them all back online. Copied onto NAS.   (didnt have large enough NAS back in 2002).
Only 3 files wont read and have this error. They just happen to be my son's first hours and days on the planet, and are sequential from 2000.

So kind of important 🙂

BUT.... I've now found the AVI versions I backed up onto DV TAPE, got my old DV Camcorder out, found the cables, and used an old CS3 copy and re-captured the mixed down AVI from tape.  All 3 bad clips restored to AVI.  Playing again.
Have now also converted all the clips to MP4.  

So issue resolved n my view.. and learnt a few things along the way..> THANKS ALL>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back in G-Spot, there are little "render" and "play" buttons, near the lower-left - both Video & Audio. Can G-Spot render, then play the file - go through button #1, the #2, etc., to render, and you then get to the player. Note: there is a window, should there be any error messages, in the render process. Make note of any of those.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Bill.  Nope.. unable to render. Audio is OK . Video gives.

.originalavi-2.jpg

This error was instant. 1st frame I assume.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2014 Feb 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That usually indicates a problem with the AVI file.

On the off-chance that G-Spot is missing something important, I would next run the file through another AV file utility, MediaInfo, and look in Tree View, to see if it is giving you the same CODEC info.

That CODEC is about as "plain-vanilla," as it gets, and should be one on any PC. Now, if one has a Mac, they might have to do a few other things, to make if available.

I would question things like file header corruption, or some other glitch.

Do you have any other DV-AVI files to check with, to see if this is more global, or is file-specific?

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you elaborate on running the batch file?  I just downloaded VLC.  I created the text document and pasted the quoted text in the document.  Now how do I actually run the process?  Is this done via VLC?  And if so, what does the text document do? @Colin Brougham

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This day I had the same problem. I have a new and faster PC. The AVI-file, recorded with the program dxtory on my old computer, was transferred to the new one. After opening the Premiere project there was only sound and a black video.

I checked all my settings within Premiere and the sound settings in Windows. The solution was the codec:

Within dxtory on my old PC I installed the codec "lagarith losless". Now on my new PC I had to install it too. After the installation I am able to see the AVI in Premiere.

The installation of VLC was only helpful to see the AVI within VLC, but it doesn't help to work with Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2015 Dec 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried your solution, didnt work. I recorded with Bandicam as I have a YouTube channel and need to edit the video in premiere. When trying your solution, it took too long and the video was unplayable - taking up space on my computer and almost ruining my pc, as I could not delete the file as it was thinking as if the .bat file was still there.

Thank you for almost wrecking my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 07, 2016 Jan 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are few reasons due to which AVI video files got corrupted. Some of the reasons are converting file format, improper installation of media player, absence of fragmentation, etc. Last week, I personally faced similar problem as a result of which AVI file become inaccessible. I fix my problem using Fix AVI software. You can visit this site to get this tool for free: http://www.fixavi.com/how-to-play-corrupted-file.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 08, 2016 Jan 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are various causes behind video file corruption like error in file transfer process, bad sector, improper closing video player, converting video file format, power surge, etc. After corrupting these video files when you play it on player, then sometime it does not play or play without video or audio. These damaged video can be recovered by using Video File Repair app easily. It supports various video file formats like AVI, MP4, MOV, etc. To know more about it check this link: http://northernsun.tv/ultimate-tool-to-repair-hd-video-files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The issue is not "solved" Adobe. Adobe adds bugs, "depreciates," or changes so many features versions to version, soon they'll be like Microsoft - driving people from their core products - Office - into Google's arms. Much to this point, I can't use Premiere to convert but can find a simple and free online site to do it: https://cloudconvert.com/. With video editing easier, I use Photoshop less as well. Last year of using Adobe. Cya.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines