Highlighted

Bad persomance with Ryzen 9 3950X

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to an AMD Ryzen 9 3950x from an intel i7-7820x, and instead of better performance I’m seeing worse. 

Before I changed the motherboard and CPU I did an export test with a finished project I had. The project is 3 min 34 seconds long and it is put together by footage from a GoPro Hero 6, Sony X1000V and GoPro fusion (stitched to cineform). 80% is GoPro Hero 6 footage. I have coolorcorected all the footage, and used a correction lut for the Hero 6, sharpened all with unsharpen mask and used FX reframe for the fusion footage.

Render time for the 7820x: 31 min and 17 sec.

Render time for the 3950x: 31 min and 48 sec.

I for sure expected to see lower export times with the new CPU but I’m not.
Neither am I seeing full usage of any other component so it doesn't seem like any of them are bottlenecking. I can also add that I formatted the drive and did a fresh install of windows after I changed the CPU. 

When running the export on the 3950x i can see 15-70% (mostly around 50%) CPU usage and around 20-22 GB ram usage. (The old processor used around 90-100% CPU for most of the render)

So does anyone have an idea of what is going on here?
Is the old intel just better for this specific task even though it has almost half the power?
Am I doing something wrong?
Is premiere pro just badly optimized? 

I also see bad performance in Lightroom classic where I exported from ARW to JPG 397 files (the same files with the same edit on both systems) with quality set to 80 and got these times:

7820x: 16 min 21 sek

3950x: 19 min 30 sek

Here both CPUs had 100% usage for the entire exporte, but despite having twice the core counts the 3950x was slower.

None of these makes any sense to me so if anyone has a good explanation for what’s going on here I would much appreciate it!

Rest of the system(Used same with both platforms):
64 GB DDR4 RAM

Nvidia GTX 1080ti

Samsung 960 EVO 1TB NVMe SSD

TOPICS
Export, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Bad persomance with Ryzen 9 3950X

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to an AMD Ryzen 9 3950x from an intel i7-7820x, and instead of better performance I’m seeing worse. 

Before I changed the motherboard and CPU I did an export test with a finished project I had. The project is 3 min 34 seconds long and it is put together by footage from a GoPro Hero 6, Sony X1000V and GoPro fusion (stitched to cineform). 80% is GoPro Hero 6 footage. I have coolorcorected all the footage, and used a correction lut for the Hero 6, sharpened all with unsharpen mask and used FX reframe for the fusion footage.

Render time for the 7820x: 31 min and 17 sec.

Render time for the 3950x: 31 min and 48 sec.

I for sure expected to see lower export times with the new CPU but I’m not.
Neither am I seeing full usage of any other component so it doesn't seem like any of them are bottlenecking. I can also add that I formatted the drive and did a fresh install of windows after I changed the CPU. 

When running the export on the 3950x i can see 15-70% (mostly around 50%) CPU usage and around 20-22 GB ram usage. (The old processor used around 90-100% CPU for most of the render)

So does anyone have an idea of what is going on here?
Is the old intel just better for this specific task even though it has almost half the power?
Am I doing something wrong?
Is premiere pro just badly optimized? 

I also see bad performance in Lightroom classic where I exported from ARW to JPG 397 files (the same files with the same edit on both systems) with quality set to 80 and got these times:

7820x: 16 min 21 sek

3950x: 19 min 30 sek

Here both CPUs had 100% usage for the entire exporte, but despite having twice the core counts the 3950x was slower.

None of these makes any sense to me so if anyone has a good explanation for what’s going on here I would much appreciate it!

Rest of the system(Used same with both platforms):
64 GB DDR4 RAM

Nvidia GTX 1080ti

Samsung 960 EVO 1TB NVMe SSD

TOPICS
Export, Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 16, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly, the difference between those two CPUs is marginal. More cores does not equal more speed. Your old Intel chip actually has a higher base clock speed. It is not even close to having "half the power" of the AMD chip.

For more information regarding Premiere's performance with multicores, take a look at this: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/premiere-pro-and-multicore-support/td-p/4788536?page=1

As for your renders taking about the same amount of time, that makes sense, since you are using the same 1080ti videocard, as the majority of video processing is done by your GPU, especially in a FX and color correction heavy project like yours.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firsty thanks for answering.

I have to disagree with you that the difference is marginal, in Cinebench r15 and r20 and geekbench and I see a doubling in performance and a 50 percent performance increase in blender. I know that these are synthetic and not the same as the real world, but this also shows from this export that I did where the 7820x uses 80-100% for most of the export, while the 3950x is hovering around 50%. 

But I can agree that the difference might be marginal in this specific task. Seeing that Premiere pro can’t take advantage of more than 8-12 cores (for now i hope :P) and that as you correctly said every core on the Intel is faster so that can be the explanation here.

What then still is strange though is that I’m seeing so much worse results in Lightroom classic, here i know both CPUs are running 100% and still the AMD is slower. And from what I can see from other tests and from what I read from Pugetsystems testing the 3950x should have beaten the 7820x by a good margen here.

But again I think you solved the Premiere pro reason, so now i have to see if i can figure out the Lightroom issue 🙂 Thanks again!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 16, 2020 0