• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Banding on DNxHD SQ 8 bit export.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get banding when rendering DNxHD SQ 1080 25p from Premiere Pro CC. Some of the footage is definitely 10 bit, and on those clips you can see ugly lines in the sky, on flat surfaces etc. The footage is MXF in SLOG3 from FS7.

The banding shows in program monitor when in the sequence settings the maximum bit depth box is unchecked, but when I check it on it dissapears.

With the checkbox checked and on DNxHD HQ 10 bit export, the footage looks fine.

Now this sounds as what you'd expect from a 10 bit to 8 bit conversion.

However, when I export a fragment from the timeline as DNxHD HQ 10 bit, import it again on top of the original clip, and export it as DNxHD SQ 8 bit, the resulting export has no banding and looks fine.

Can someone explain what's happening here and how to fix that except for rendering the same sequence twice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

You are right, this is a workaround and it's pretty simple to do. I submitted a feature/bug request for Adobe to perhaps add a modify/interpret footage option which would allow to pinpoint the clips that are of a higher bit depth and need more time for rendering. Who needs shortcuts that kill quality when rendering a 50 GB DNxHD master file at 120 mbps...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The second part of that is the odd bit.  The first part is entirely expected.

In this case, I would take it as a happy accident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you're getting around the XAVC color engine bug by re-rendering. that is what is happening at the technical level. that particular color banding bug is still inside premiere.there is no known workaround of re-rendering twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are right, this is a workaround and it's pretty simple to do. I submitted a feature/bug request for Adobe to perhaps add a modify/interpret footage option which would allow to pinpoint the clips that are of a higher bit depth and need more time for rendering. Who needs shortcuts that kill quality when rendering a 50 GB DNxHD master file at 120 mbps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines