• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Banding with 10bit footage

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working with some 10bit GH5s footage and I am getting intense banding ( from a not particularly challenging shot ). Once I take the same shot into After Effects and up the bit depth - its fine. From what I understand, Premiere will simply work with whatever bit depth the shot is but I am definitely losing a couple of bits somehwere in here.

Mac Pro Laptop 15 inch 2017

OS 10.2.6

2.9 GHZ processor    

Footage is Quicktime H264 Long GOP 150

Screenshot from Premiere with - footage has the VLog to V709 LUT on it.

Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 3.31.49 PM.png

Screenshot from After Effects with - footage has the VLog to V709 LUT on it.

Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 3.21.27 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Found what was causing the issue - Metal as the renderer... has to be OpenCL or Software only...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And my Premiere version is 13.1.2 Build 9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found what was causing the issue - Metal as the renderer... has to be OpenCL or Software only...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't finx the problem for me. Am experiencing banding in Metal, OpenGL and Software. 

When the timeline isn't playing back, the banding dissappears. When playing back or on exporting, 8-bit looking banding,

on what should be very nice 10-bit footage.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a pain, what with Apple choosing to deprecate OpenCL ...

Please post this on the UserVoice bug/features page so it goes directly to the engineer's system and the upper manager's list of filed things for their metrics ...

Neil

Adobe UserVoice Bug /Feature form: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it's exactly the other way around. Perfect 10bit color gradient in Premiere. As soon as it goes to AE I get horrible banding. No one is able to solve my problem.

Dear adobe, now it becomes very hard to blame everything on apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know a ton of people working in Ae with 10 bit without banding. As that is the most used fx app out there professionally, yes, it is heavily used daily for 10 bit and 12 bit work.

Therefore the app is clearly capable of doing so. Why it is not on your system is the crucial part here.

Have you asked over on the Ae forum, where you'd get @davidarbor or one of the other hot folk there to advise?

Nei

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Neil, 

I'm sure AE is capable. 

I've opened up a case at the adobe support. They will get back to me asap. Hopefully.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And do check on the Ae forum ASAP ... they have a lot of experience there with this sort of thing.

As to Adobe help ... ask for the Video Queue is what Product Support manager @Kevin-Monahan who supervises this forum always advises.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, thanks for your help, Neil.

Greetings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm no expert on this, but I've seen lots of people struggle with GH5 footage. This doesn't look like traditional banding because of low bit depth or a gradient. This could be a bug with how GH5 footage is being processed, so yeah, I'd think filing a bug is the best course of action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The banding in my opinion is not an issue with the GH5s but compression artefacts caused by taking 4K HDR10 footage from a device such as an Atomos recorder and then playing it back on a 'non-HDR' 1920 X 1080 monitor. What you need to do is an SDR conform in Premiere Pro. Just using the default settings should work for 90% of footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines