• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Beginner: extract a scene without rendering?

Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid this is a stupid question but here it goes.

Lately, I've been using Premiere to "extract" scenes from movies. After I select the part that I want, I delete everything else (is a quicker way to do this?) and export it. When I export it, I use one preset I learned from the internet which gets me the best quality. I click export and then Premiere turns up the heat on the CPU/GPU and takes a few minutes to extract a one minute scene.

But... why do I need to do that? The original file is already the best quality. Why can't I just select the part and save it instantaneously as a separate video file? Why the need to "render"?

I've been recommended way simpler programs able to do that, even the ffmpeg CLI tool. But... if those can do it, Premiere can do it too, right? Also, I apply small effects such as fade-in/out and volume control.

What am I missing?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

"So, what's an NLE?"

---

A NLE is a Non-Linear Editing system, essentially modern editing software that is not destructive of the media content it is working with. NLE is often used as shorthand for "editing software". Premiere, Final Cut, Avid, etc. are all NLEs. Tape-based editing (more back-in-the-day are linear editing systems)

As to your question when you select an export file format, Premiere is re-rendering and re-encoding the video content to the new format you have specified. As far as I a

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro is a professional level NLE.  It's designed for working with original content.

It may not be the best tool for your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This answer doesn't help me that much. I put "Beginner" in the title. So, what's an NLE?

It may not be the best tool for your needs.

It seems that way. Still, you haven't answered any question. If you would, please:

The original file is already the best quality. Why can't I just select the part and save it instantaneously as a separate video file? Why the need to "render"?

And just to be clear, is there absolutely no way to extract a portion out without the rendering process in Premiere Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So, what's an NLE?"

---

A NLE is a Non-Linear Editing system, essentially modern editing software that is not destructive of the media content it is working with. NLE is often used as shorthand for "editing software". Premiere, Final Cut, Avid, etc. are all NLEs. Tape-based editing (more back-in-the-day are linear editing systems)

As to your question when you select an export file format, Premiere is re-rendering and re-encoding the video content to the new format you have specified. As far as I am aware Premiere does not have the option to export modified content without encoding a new video. If this is even possible or not may even depend on the format of the source media.

I will concur with Jim here, I think what you're looking for is a bit different than the toolset Premiere provides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That "Jim Simon" rarely comes to the point, but comes across as pretty rude and conceited in his responses. I already encountered other "answers" (completely useless) by him on other threads. Stay away from that and don't waste your time. Thumbs down on "JimSimon" expertise. Look for the real experts. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd follow these steps to get the selected piece onto the timeline:

• From the new project, import the source file into the workspace
  • Double-click it to open it in the source monitor
  • Find the beginning of the piece you want, and make that your in point. Tap the "I" key (as in "in") or click the { (left brace) button in the source monitor to set this in point.
  • Play to the out point and hit the "o" key (as in "out") or use the } right brace button in the source monitor.
  • You'll end up with your selected piece of video in the source monitor having an in and out point.
  • Drag and drop it onto your sequence timeline (only the selection will appear). Export it with the desired output settings and you're done.

I hope this helps!

Buck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2019 Aug 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helps a bit, thank you. But while on the topic, if I have the full movie in the timeline and I use i and o just like you said, is there a hotkey to delete everything but that and put it at the beginning?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious:

Are these copyrighted movies you are trying to edit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2019 Aug 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I'm uploading scenes I liked from movies to Youtube. Not monetizing of course. My two favs so far:

Sherlock [Scene] - Moriarty trial entry - YouTube

Molly's game, 2017 [Scene] - 3 years of therapy in 3 minutes with her father - YouTube

Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines