• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Beginner - Moving Video and Audio Tracks

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I drag the linked clip up a video track, want the audio to follow down to the next track.

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 10.08.37 AM.png

As of now when I drag the video up a track the audio, although linked and selected, stays on the same track as you see in the pic. I need the audio to drop down to another track as well.

Is there a shortcut or something I am missing?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Unlike Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro does not move linked video and audio tracks up/down the tracks in unison. But you can make that happen by following this simple trick:

1. Drag your video clip (or clips) up one (or more) tracks (ex. V1 to V3).
  2. Don't let go of your mouse button.
  3. Press the Shift key and hold it down while you move your mouse down towards the audio tracks. This will "push" them down, exactly the way you wanted them to go in the first place.

(I found this tip on Creative Cow courtesy of J

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

It changed to Ctrl+Shift.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Are you guys on Windows? Because on Mac it's cmd + shift.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlike Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro does not move linked video and audio tracks up/down the tracks in unison. But you can make that happen by following this simple trick:

1. Drag your video clip (or clips) up one (or more) tracks (ex. V1 to V3).
  2. Don't let go of your mouse button.
  3. Press the Shift key and hold it down while you move your mouse down towards the audio tracks. This will "push" them down, exactly the way you wanted them to go in the first place.

(I found this tip on Creative Cow courtesy of Joshua Preiswerk in this thread: Audio Clips Don't Move in Tandem with Video Clip.)

Does this tip work for you? I just tried it out and it works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, very helpful, worked like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work anymore! Can someone give me a workaround?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@michahilliard: You are correct; it no longer works in 12.1.0. However, you can hold down Alt (Option on macOS) and press the Up Arrow key to move the video portion of the clip up a couple tracks and then, while keeping Alt/Option held down, press the Down Arrow key to move the video portion of the clip back down, which will simultaneously push the audio portion of the clip down to lower audio tracks.

So what you previously could do by dragging the clip and pressing Shift you can still do by pressing Up/Down while holding down Alt/Option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are functions like this always changing, this really messes with the work flow.  Like as of now I have a problem with dragging my clip around. The sound used to move with the video & now it doesn't. I was halfway through an edit when I noticed that the sound wasn't matching with the visual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure your clips just aren't unlinked? You can link the video and audio portion of a clip in the timeline. Here the video and audio are unlinked; when I select the video portion, the audio is not selected.

screenshot_1758.png

So I select both video and audio, right-click, and select Link from the context menu:

screenshot_1759.png

Now when I click the video portion, the audio is selected too:

screenshot_1760.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHY??

Before it was very intuitive to drag clips around and just when you found the place put the corresponding audio with alt on a track that has space. Now i have to find the place where i want to put the clip. Count the track where there is space for audio. Go back hit alt+arrow down as many times and then move the clips to the place again??? Makes no sense at all.

And by the way. In version 12.1.2(osx) there is a bug when i choose and in and out point in the source viewer it selects a frame that is

outside of the selection. You can replicate this by choosing two frames from a scene with a big change in-between.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the same type of mentality that drove me crazy with Avid. "Why do something with one simple mouse move when you can do it with four keyboard commands instead?!" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is this still working for you in v 12.1.0? It doesn't work for me - the video portion comes back down when I move the audio portion.

What does work which is pretty similar is to drag the video portion of the clip up, let go of the mouse left click, then drag the audio portion of the clip down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actually works like Stefan described just add COMMAND to SHIFT and you can drag down to select which audio track to shift to. Actually better than the way FCP worked because you can target a track rather than it automatically staggering. Tested in version 13.0.1 (2019).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is correct currently (as of July 2020)!! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And still good as of November 2020!

If anyone is still confused by the process, because it is a little tricky, here you go from another angle.

1. Grab your video clip and move it by dragging it with the left side of the mouse.

2. When you drag it to the correct video track you want it on, keep holding down the left side of the mouse.

3. Now ALSO press and hold the cmd + shift keys too (you should now have the left side of the mouse + cmd + shift all depressed). Holding cmd + shift essentially "locks" the video clip into place and switches to the audio track selection mode. Don't worry, during the next steps your video clip will be 'held in place" on the video track you selected.

4. Now move the cursor to the audio track that you want your audio clip on. You will see a highlight on whatever audio track you are hovering over.

5. When you have the cursor hovering over the audio track you want the audio clip on, let go of everything.

6. You will see that the video clip stayed on the video track you dragged it to, and the audio clip moved to the audio track that you selected!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It actually doesn't work at all using the latest version of Premiere CC 2020 (14.7.0).

It's a pity we can't have at least a button (or specific setting) in order to move them in tandem.

You can't imagine how much wasted time using ALT + arrow and the relative tons of mouse click just to do a simple and straigthforward thing.

Come on Adobe...this is a workflow time saver!

Hope to see it in the near future 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It changed to Ctrl+Shift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It actually worked and you don't even know how many keyboard combinantion I've tried.

The trick was moving the video up and then without releasing ctrl+shift I moved the mouse cursor down to the audio in order to move it down and in tandem.

It was also written on point number 4 but I was missing the proper key combination.

Thanks a lot again for your quick reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you guys on Windows? Because on Mac it's cmd + shift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am simply dragging a video clip with audio to my timeline and the audio lands on track A4 - I want it on track A1 and I cannot get it to move.  Never had a problem moving the track before...? Have tried every combination of keyboarding mentioned above. Did I accidently click on something ?  Please help!!

Premiere audio track issue.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your audio is probably mono. All above tracks are 5.1.

5.1. Does not accept anything other than 5.1.

So you need to add some stereo tracks and delete the 5.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I delete 5.1 and add stereo tracks? Never had to do that before and why would it suddenly be an issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Right click on the track header.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines