• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best practice for Creating Captions (Premiere Pro 14.9 and earlier)

Participant ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I create captions for videos and it can be such a pain the way I am doing it.

I have a transcrpit in Word which I copy a bit at a time into Premier Pro and it takes ages. Is there a better way?

Many thanks

Mark

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

There are many caption tutorials, but I don't know if there is one for this specific purpose. 

There are 2 main ways to do this. One is what you are attempting: copy paste text into a PR caption track. If you have many captions, this is time consuming. The other method is to prepare your text in a way that PR can import. Part of the point of the thread above is that PR won't yet import a plain text file and automatically add time codes and add to a caption track. So the best option there is to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working in the newest version, 15.0 or 15.1? The caption workflow was revised substantially.

See this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/bulk-subtitle-import-new-2021-15-text-workflow/td-p/1194...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes the newest version 15.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't seen anywhere online a simple,. for dummies instructions of how to get from a txt doc to premier pro captions have you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many caption tutorials, but I don't know if there is one for this specific purpose. 

There are 2 main ways to do this. One is what you are attempting: copy paste text into a PR caption track. If you have many captions, this is time consuming. The other method is to prepare your text in a way that PR can import. Part of the point of the thread above is that PR won't yet import a plain text file and automatically add time codes and add to a caption track. So the best option there is to convert your Word document into a ".srt" caption file for import to PR.

For method one (copy/paste), convert the Word document to plain text by doing a "save as" as plain text. This avoids pasting odd codes.

For method two, to create srt from a Word document, see my post linked below. The Word document has text but no timecode, and is probably not formatted as required in the srt. While you could manually create srt file, using a third party tool, in this case Subtitle Edit, is better.

So Word might contain whole paragraphs of text or single lines. But a single line version might look like this:

File 01 Caption 01
File 01 Caption 02

A comparable srt file with begin and end timecodes would look like this:

00:00:05,042 --> 00:00:07,042
File 01 Caption 01

00:00:12,000 --> 00:00:14,000
File 01 Caption 02

See my post here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/possible-to-import-docx-premiere-to-do-subtitles/m-p/115...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan

Thank you for your advice. I have given it a try and it does help and hopefully with a bit of practice might improve my time some more.

Though I can't wait for the ai version to it automatically. It's still a bit a of a pain.

But thank you again for your help. 🙂

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

nothing you do with editing is gonna be easy and automatic so forget about that.

your post implies you got text you wanna put on screen to 'direct audience attention'.

With captions it is usually like films made in other languages and the captions spell it out in audience language.. for example, if I watch a movie made in france and the actors speak french and I am u.s. idiot with no french in my head.. i SEE the words the actors are saying ( more or less ).

to do that in a serious professional way it requires some serious progams that translate and embed the captions usually in lower part of frame as you watch the program. adobe doesn't do that.

your doc file implies you have your OWN text you want to give to audience. maybe you recorded a game and you want to say stuff watching your video to tell them what is going on in the game.

I have no clue.

but the main thing is you should focus on the purpose, the structure to make it happen, and the final product.

I use psd to put text on screen and never use captions cause i don't care about films in other languages, and rarely watch them.

what you are doing is really cool, cause you are telling a story and love your audience. how they get the information ( text, images, graphics, music, sound, etc. ) is up to you.

I use psd to put text on stuff cause I only do simple stuff and DON'T work on pro caption transcription post house stuff. I don't have a clue how that works.

But it's better the way I do it with psd cause I can put it where I want ( regardless of the image which might make the text hard to read ). If I have white desert in lower part of frame and put captions there it will be hard to read.

It's gonna take time and work to do whatever you decide to do.. but just think about this really stupid short and how I used psd instead of word or srt or whatever to do it... just look for a few seconds and you'll get the idea basically.

well, forget it.. cause I can't get adobe forum to put the right video in this message.

yikes... things keep changing so fast with everyone on different boats going in different directions.. it's impossible to keep up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines