• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best Practise-Frame Rate For Project

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm a little confused and need some clarity.

I'm shooting for a client who is also supplying footage all captured at 50fps.
I decided the best approach was to shoot all my footage (that I know needs slowing) at the same 50fps frame rate.
Some footage will be slowed down slightly in the edit to show the client's products being created on their production line machines.

My Question
I also have to shoot some interviews with audio also for the final video and was thinking whether this was best shot in 24 fps and use a 24 fps project timeline or keep at shooting at 50fps.

If I shoot at these at 50 fps and use a 50fps project sequence will slowing the clips down produce poorer quality slow motion? or is this in effect the same as interpreting the 50fps footage into 24fps and having a 24fps sequence?
In short, around 30-40 % of the project footage will need some slow-motion just not all of it so I want the best compromise/solution and quality 
Hope this makes sense.
Thanks in advance.
Regards Simon

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I prefer shooting and editing at the same frame rate that I decide to have the final export to,

but, in cases where you have to do slomo, higher frame rates are better, and you can always

use Premiere Pro's Optical Flow, but you should have high quality source footage to have

enough data (lighting, resolution etc..) for Optical Flow to analyze and give you the best results..

When it comes to mixed frame rates workflows, I always recommend Larry Jordan's here:

https://larryjordan.com/articles/frame-rates-are-tricky-beasts/#:~:text=At%20last%20count%2C%20we%20....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Carlos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great article thanks for the link.

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

50 fps and 24 fps mixed will give issues imo.

Why do you want 24 fps if you live in PAL-land. Stick to 50 fps (or 25 fps).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

audio and digital film ( or vidio or whatever you call it ) are separate elements on film sets. A camera shoots to get the desired effect ( fps etc.) but sound mixer on set is jammed to timecode ( slate, camera, sound). so it's sync'd for post.

not sound in camera kid stuff.

hate to say it, but that's the way it is and you have to think about it for your timing and story telling.

I have to compromise and do what I can do to make stuff happen as a hobbyist... so mostly I slate stuff if I can,

when you adjust video with sound from camera you are adjusting BOTH elements... sound and video and frame rates and so on.. it's not magic ... you have to pre-vision ( imagine ) what's gonna happen when you do stuff.

🙂

you'll do great stuff so keep it up !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks that makes perfect sense.

This project involves a couple of different supplied video footage at various frame rates so I'm looking for the best way forward.

I think I'll keep shooting everything at 50fps as this seems to make the most sence.

Thanks for info much appreciate it,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines