Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best Way to Capture (Digitize) Hi-8 Home Videos

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning friends,

I am looking to digitize my family's home videos.

I've actually already done so using my Sony Camcorder through capture feature of QuickTime Player, but I'm wondering how to do so in Premiere Pro.

I opened the Capture panel through File > Capture, but it doesn't seem to be detecting my camcorder (but QuickTime Player does).

How do I get Premiere Pro to recognize my camcorder that's connected to my computer? Thank you!

Best,

Brian

TOPICS
Editing , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac or PC? On PC, I just did this yesterday using Scenalyzer Live. I could get PR to capture, but it did not handle the audio correctly.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacBook Pro (2020). Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past, Premiere's Capture option required the use of a Firewire input cable to the computer. Which is mostly 'dead' these days, though you can still get the gear and add in a Firewire input card to the computer.

An option oft suggested here for both solid workflow and highest quality transfer of image data from tape to digital is the Black Magic Intensity Pro 4K PCIe card ... which comes with HDMI input as well as a cord to connect to the analog R, G, and B RCA plug cords. It's a bit under $200USD, and does give as good a quality as you can get from the data.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with a MacBook Pro, so unfortunately I don't think that will help.

I have read about the Firewire input, but I'm not sure what gear allows that and connects to a Mac.

I appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Premiere Pro does not require Firewire. Having said that people have stated the latest version of OS X does not support the IEEE OHCI Firewire controller. You can use the Intenisty Shuttle USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt version. AJA and Blackmagic Design have Tunderbolt and PCIE options but a lot of those products require a Time Base Corrector (TBC). If your camcored has a TBC built in (my Hi-8 does) you can use the Intensity Shuttle just fine. If not the ADCV 110 would be your best bet. The ADVC 110 is DV Firewire converter. Both the ADVC 110 and Intensity Shuttle are discontinued. The video below might be helpful.

https://youtu.be/dVLUxRkPMdA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

interesting question. I use windows pc.

years ago some guy hunted and recorded stuff (his video crew member on safari ) on a safari and I edited and had to connect some compact electronic mini tape thing to my computer, so bought the card Neil mentions ( pci-e) which was sorta like a thing that translated the incoming firewire signal and capture on HD live ( you play it and it records without dropping frames but you have to play it real time ) using ( as Stan said, scenealier cause adobe sucked at it ).  I think it was cs4 back then.

the card ( blackmagic) also gives you sdi in and out so you have tons of options.  Google your question and you may find inexpensive standalone units that can do what you want ... then just put that mp4 into PPro.

???

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

p.s.

make sure ( if you buy a standalone unit ) that it doesn't give an AVI file ( made by microsoft years ago), cause I don't think PPro supports that anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use any Blackmagic Design PCIe card the standard wrapper is .avi on a Windows machine and the files are fully supported on any version of Premiere Pro. On Mac the hardware will give you .mov files. None of the cards will give you an .mp4 when capturing. 

I edited .avi files captured by an Intensity Pro yesterday in Premiere Pro 14.5. The other day i edited old DV files in the .avi wrapper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmmm. thanks AverD

I'm glad PPRO still supports AVI. It was the first thing I used when I bought a VideoBlaster card about 30 years ago. But it only captured 15 fps, so after the cable run from TV to computer, it was a little choppy to say the least.

😞

The more support for stuff, the better, IMO ... 

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines