• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Black Screen (source and preview) when using GPU (CUDA) [NVidia RTX 3070]

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings to the community (Adobe Premiere Pro 2020 - latest version)

Specs:
Ryzen 9 5950x
RTX 3070
128 GB RAM
SSD
MB: GIGABYTE AUROS MASTER X570 

Sequence settings: (most often use for me both on my mac and pc)

Screenshot 2021-02-14 182205.pngScreenshot 2021-02-14 182230.png
ISSUE: 
While working in premiere pro, suddenly without any reason the preview screen goes black (audio still works) in the both timeline and preview screen.
In the project settings if I change the render from CUDA to Software it works (really slow but preview comes back)

When I restart the application, it works once again for a while until it goes black again and it's getting really frustrating already.

All nvidia graphics are with latest updates
Windows is with latest updates

Tried:
Checked already some other old posts from the community with offering small changes in the nvidia settings which i tried with no luck.

Would be happy if somebody has any idea on the issue.

Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Hey team. I was with the studio driver from Nvidia via the application but I uninstalled everything and installed it only as an exe file and for now I do not have anny issues so far!

On the note, the issue occured mainly when I was colorgrading and adding a few lumetri color adjustment layers  with imported LUTS .

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a good chance you're using Nvidia's 'game-ready' drivers. If so, go to their site for their driver support, and download/install the Studio driver. Do a "clean install", don't install the "Geforce Experience" or whatever it's called thing.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest version is not a version: which build (see about...)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey team. I was with the studio driver from Nvidia via the application but I uninstalled everything and installed it only as an exe file and for now I do not have anny issues so far!

On the note, the issue occured mainly when I was colorgrading and adding a few lumetri color adjustment layers  with imported LUTS .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Running Nvidia Studio 461.40 (the most resent)

Dell Xps 2019

i7-9750H

Nvidia GTX 1650

ssd m2

64 gb ram

Screen goes black in preview window on different ocations. The issue for me might began when i started to import bigger (around 200 mb) stil images in .png.

The project is in 1080 all tought some photage is in 4k (havent had this issue in this project until recent, and been working on this project since august 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*not screen, preview window

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with a Dell XPS with similar specs (i7-8700K @ 3.7 GHz, Gefore GTX 1070). I've had stability isuses / crashes with older Premiere Pro releases, but with 14.9.0 as soon as I try to add Graphics (lower third) to a 4K video clip, the video screens go black. Removing the Graphic clip doesn't help. Only switching to "Mercury Playback Engine (software only)" fixes it, but obviously the performance is terrible.

Makes me wonder why I'm paying so much every month for CC when it seems to be regressing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and besides the black screen, I cannot render video without switching to "Software Only". This 4.5 minute video (4K source, Full HD output) with NO effects except a lower third will take 36 minutes to render!

Attempting to render gives me error code -1609629690. Simply unacceptable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ironically, selecting "OpenCL" instead drives the Intel UHD GPU to 100% and will render the same video in just under 10 minutes. Like others on here, bought a high-end PC a couple years ago specifically for 4K video editing, but Premiere Pro has gone from flaky (crashes that lose work) to nearly non-functional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! Short story is that the latest Adobe Premiere Pro CC v15.0.0 (Build 41) fixes the problem (with NVIDIA Studio Driver 461.72). The video preview windows are working again, and a render of this video took less than two minutes.

Thank you, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thanks for the report, Joe!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having this issue.  Different suggestions above do seem to solve the issue for a bit, but it always will come back.

I'm running the latest version of Premiere (15.2.0), the latest Nvidia Drivers 462.65 Studio Version, and it keeps happening.  Premiere seems much less stable in general than it did last fall.

System Info in screen shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the same issue with the latest updates of Nvidias studio drivers. I downgraded it to GeForce Game Ready-Driver v.461.92. It works for now since an hour or more. Usually i couldnt even work longer than 5 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Studio Driver works better for me than the Game Ready Driver, but the black screen is still an issue for me ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour la communauté ! j'ai le même problème et je ne trouve pas de solution !

PC: 

Amd 5950x

Ram 64go 3600mhz

RTX 2060super

Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, i have identic spec whit yours, like vga, ram, but im using intel vore i7 actually, a have this issue last night when using cuda my timeline turned black,

the newest nvidia driver is already installed.

I was very confused looking for a solution, finally I reinstalled adobe premiere pro from 2019 to 2020, and its worked, no more black screen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just happened to me at well.  I was working btwn AE and PR and all 3 screens went black...eventually 2 came back on and I was able to save.  I noticed that the driver was a STUDIO driver.  I used Dell's update utility and it installed version (31.0.15.1694, A00) released on Oct 12 2022.  This is for my RTX 3080Ti.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-US/drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=7NFC0

During the install the one screen that blacked out came back to life.  Let's hope its because of that studio driver Nvidia Experience installed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, like most manufacturer's updates, that's an older file. But if it works, great!

That's why most folks say to update DIRECTLY from the Nvidia site. You get the latest drivers. Though at this time, the 517.40 Studio seems to be the latest usable driver.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so do you download the game ready or the studio?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave you the latest studio driver.

You can do this yourself

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

nvidia.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The installed driver is long replaced by new ones.

Go to the Nvidia site and download/install manually.

(You do not need the experience software).

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/194382/en-us/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the results of a manual driver search for thie 3080Ti.

RenSukhram_0-1669143506567.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotta use the older driver section ...

RNeilHaugen_1-1669152124561.png

Here it is listed ...

RNeilHaugen_0-1669152051717.png

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is still happening 3 years later! fun!

I have to close and reopen Premiere every 5 minutes. I've tried game-ready driver and studio driver from NVIDIA. No dice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never use the game ready drivers, as they also install other things that are meant for gamer's use, and problematic for editing NLE applications.

If you've installed a game ready driver, you need to do a "clean install" of a Studio driver to get rid of the junk.

And ... the most recent Nvidia Studio driver is buggy, so take the next older driver, not the current one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines