• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blackmagic Gen 5 Lut not loading into Premiere Pro

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I am trying to load the official "Blackmagic Gen 5 Film to Extended Video.cube" LUT into premiere pro and I'm getting an "unable to load selected file" error.

I pulled the LUT directly from Davinci Resolve's LUT folder. I've tried loading it through the creative and basic correction tabs of Lumetri and I get the same error each time, see attached screenshot. All of my other LUTS load fine. I tried contacting Blackmagic and they just told me to contact Adobe.

I'm using premiere pro 2020. Has anyone encountered this problem?

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

I had this is issue too, just solved it...

If you use Davinci Resolve to select the Blackagic Gen 5 Film to Extended Video LUT in a node on a clip, then right click the clip in timeline on the color tab and click Generate LUT > 65 Point Cube, then it creates a LUT that seems to be exactly the same as the one provided in Resolve 17, except this generated lut cube file DOES load into Lumetri Color. [Sorry, Adobe doesn't allow attachments, but it was easy to do with Resolve!]

I like to apply the in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have the same issue .... That dispointing ...
Have find a other lut ? 

I hope Adobe can wen help us. 
Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2023 Jul 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up importing my LUT from Premiere onto Resolve. Loading it onto a clip, and then generating the LUT as 33 points. Thank you! 🙏 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read this doc on how to install luts:
FAQ: Premiere Pro Lumetri Color Custom LUT directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thx for answer.
But, i know how use a lut on premiere pro...
Just this lut :  "Blackmagic Gen 5 Film to Extended Video.cube"  don't work
Why ? 
All my other lut work on resolve and premeire pro. exept this one ...

Thx you for help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird. Wonder what they used to create that LUT? There's a ton of variables in what can create LUTs and what options/choices they use.

I shoot a lot of BRAW, and work with the Autokroma plugin because the freebie from BlackMagic is worth exactly what you paid for it ... nothing. And the conversion from 'film' (which is actually their log format) to video is handled within the plugin itself.

So ... what's your workflow here? Curious.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this is issue too, just solved it...

If you use Davinci Resolve to select the Blackagic Gen 5 Film to Extended Video LUT in a node on a clip, then right click the clip in timeline on the color tab and click Generate LUT > 65 Point Cube, then it creates a LUT that seems to be exactly the same as the one provided in Resolve 17, except this generated lut cube file DOES load into Lumetri Color. [Sorry, Adobe doesn't allow attachments, but it was easy to do with Resolve!]

I like to apply the input lut (colour space transform) after doing some clip exposure/WB corrections. Yes I shoot BRAW and it's best to do this at the source level (in the BRAW settings), but sometimes the exposure/WB changes within the same clip, so it's not always possible. (Also, easier copying and pasting between clips for minor adjustments). And it's best to do those kind of adjustments before the input LUT is applied I believe, hence why I don't just change the BRAW Gamma to Extended Video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of the BlackMagic installed LUTs use a specialized .cube LUT format that adds a ton of things to the header and the LUT file itself. I don't know how many other apps can read those, but I do know PrPro/Ae cannot.

You're right, making a LUT from a node does make ones usable in PrPro/Ae.

I find PrPro's Source settings/Sequence settings process a bit clunky. I can totally understand it, teach how to utilize it ... but still get frustrated that you can't "see" the full effects chain on a clip when it has both 'Source' and 'Sequence' effects involved.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked perfectly! Was exactly what I looking for. THANK YOU!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, this should be flagged as the right answer! Worked out flawlessly for me.

I feel that it's also relevant to mention that my grades were turning out terrible, with severe aberrations and steep transitions in luma gradients, and even tint issues in some cases - as if my footage had a poor bitrate. I indeed thought I would have to perform a Resolve roundtrip in order to color grade a simple project.

However, all I needed to do was to toggle 'Maximum Bit Depth' within the sequence settings in Premiere, and in conjunction with @douga98647900 's tip I was able to color correct just like I would in Resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Max Depth didn't used to be a needed thing, but for most people with 10 bit media now, it seems to be. Thanks for posting that for others to see!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An easier option even, open the LUT file using notepad. Change:

BMD_TITLE "Gen 5 Film to Extended Video"
to

TITLE "Gen 5 Film to Extended Video"

You can also just delete the "TITLE" line at all, is not necessary, but if you want to keep the info deleting "BMD_" is enough. Most of the times, Blackmagic native LUTs include (useless?) things in the header, open the file using notepad and delete anything that has no # at the beginning of the line and doesn't indicate size, example:

# DaVinci Resolve Cube (3D LUT).
#
#Blackmagic 4K Film to Rec709 v3
#Blackmagic 4K Film to Rec709 using v3 Color Science.
#Soft-Clipped

BMD_TITLE "Blackmagic 4K Film to Rec709 v3"

LUT_3D_SIZE 33
LUT_3D_INPUT_RANGE 0.0000000000 1.0000000000

You can turn it into this:

# DaVinci Resolve Cube (3D LUT).
#
#Blackmagic 4K Film to Rec709 v3
#Blackmagic 4K Film to Rec709 using v3 Color Science.
#Soft-Clipped

TITLE "Blackmagic 4K Film to Rec709 v3"

LUT_3D_SIZE 33

Or you even can leave it just like this:

LUT_3D_SIZE 33

I've read here by francis-crossman that LUT_3D_INPUT_RANGE 0.0000000000 1.0000000000 can have other values that are not the standard for luts (0.0 to 1.0) and those have to be indicated using this system (repeating the number 3 times):

DOMAIN_MIN 0.0 0.0 0.0

DOMAIN_MAX 1.0 1.0 1.0

Yet I have to say I haven't yet found a LUT that uses different domains than 0.0 to 1.0, so deleting everything and letting just the LUT size seems to work fine for BlackMagic Design camera LUTs preinstalled in DaVinci Resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! When I get to the shop, gonna be trying that out first thing!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope it helps. There's also another issue with LUTs in Adobe Premiere that I haven't seen giving problem to other users but may help someone. Maybe some are even having the problem but they don't realize and think they're using different LUTs when they're loading the same one twice.

When there are many LUTs in a folder and the names of those LUTs are long enough, Premiere will load them incorrectly. For example right now you can copy paste all Blackmagic Design LUTs in your LUTs>Technical folder to use in Premiere. Many LUTs have very similar names, for example:

• Blackmagic Cinema Camera Film to Rec709.cube
  • Blackmagic Cinema Camera Film to Rec709 v2.cube

When you select them in Lumetri, Premiere will always chose one of them (the first one in the list I think). So you probably will choose one, then the other and say "Hey, they're not that different, probably some minor fix and they just let the old one for compatibility...". Wrong, you're loading the same one both times (proof of that is that if you look at the name after selecting it, no matter which one you choose it will always show the name of only one of them).

Way to fix it: rename the file including something close to the beginning of the name. For example:

• Blackmagic v2 Cinema Camera Film to Rec709 v2.cube
  • Blackmagic v1 Cinema Camera Film to Rec709.cube

That way they will load correctly. It happens also with other LUTs, not only Blackmagic. I discovered it with these, in fact:

• SLog3SGamut3.CineToLC-709.cube
  • SLog3SGamut3.CineToLC-709TypeA.cube

It took me some time to realize they were actually quite different, after I realized it wasn't loading correctly when I have them both in the same folder so I renamed them:

• SLog3SGamut3.1.CineToLC-709.cube
  • SLog3SGamut3.2.CineToLC-709TypeA.cube

So anyone having problems with LUTs in Premiere check those 2 things:

1. Is the info in the header of the .cube file when opened using notepad correct?
  2. Do you have many LUTs with long names that match the name for like the first 12 characters? (I haven't check exactly the moment it's problematic, but it's close to that)

Also, note that whenever you make any change in LUTs content of filename, you have to restart Premiere Pro to changes to make effect, in both of those cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great pair of totally useful posts! Thanks!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help! I don't have Davinci so this workaround saved me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2023 Aug 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS WORKED. RECIEVE ALL GOOD THINGS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2023 Aug 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Just deleted BMD in word 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the info douga!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you get the LUT inserted into Premiere in the meantime? I currently have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you following "douga" 's process of creating a LUT from a node in Resolve, and then placing that on your computer for Premiere to use?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of applying the LUT as a separate file, I open the Source BRAW settings for the clip (the left pane in the Effect Controls panel), choose Revert Metadata and then select Apply LUT, and do some primary adjustments to entire shot.

Please be aware that this will change the settings of the entire clip, not merely the edited portions you use on your timeline. If you wish/need to do further adjustments, do not change the settings in this section, as it will affect all instances on your timeline. This is akin to using remote or local grades in Resolve. Instead, add another instance of Lumetri color to the clip and adjust from there.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey when i click on my node i cant see were it says generate lut

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Color page in Resolve, with the Clips display showing. Right-click on a clip, and you then get options including "Generate LUT". With sup-options for how many points.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is still an issue for anyone trying to load this lut into premerie pro's lumetri tab all you have to do is change the ".cube" extension to another format like ".3dl". So just rename the lut file to one of those other extensions with no spaces should work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines