Highlighted

blackmagic raw to proxy

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi i have braw clips with color space and gamma, and i wanted my braw clips to have proxies (downsize resolution and codec to prores LT). but the exported files doesnt have the color space and gamma that ive wanted. help!

screenshot for reference.

thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 1.36.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 1.37.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 1.38.19 AM.png

[Moderator note: please simply drag/drop images into your text reply area, as using the forum's stupid 'drag/drop here' option requires users to download strange files to their computers to see the images. I fixed this for you this time.]

TOPICS
Export, Formats, How to, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

blackmagic raw to proxy

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi i have braw clips with color space and gamma, and i wanted my braw clips to have proxies (downsize resolution and codec to prores LT). but the exported files doesnt have the color space and gamma that ive wanted. help!

screenshot for reference.

thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 1.36.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 1.37.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 1.38.19 AM.png

[Moderator note: please simply drag/drop images into your text reply area, as using the forum's stupid 'drag/drop here' option requires users to download strange files to their computers to see the images. I fixed this for you this time.]

TOPICS
Export, Formats, How to, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 09, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a bmpcc 4k and have the option of capturing as braw or prores... and also the option of shooting film or video ( limited IRE sorta ). I never shot it with prores cause I use resolve, so I don't have to worry about that stuff. But sometimes I shoot stuff braw that is lit horrible and my wb and exposure are off. And then it sorta helps a little bit, but not much ( gamma and gamut ). If it's shot bad it's a chore to get it to where you think it should be.

Now I'm leaning toward just shooting prores instead of braw, and going more automatic instead of manual cause I'm old and don't wanna deal with hype and promises anymore. I just want to get it done.

Adobe is rec 709 so shoot that (vidio) and use prores or something other than plug ins to make braw work with adobe.  You'll be happier. Just use adobe with source as prores video and it should be close to rec709 when you export.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply trying to understand your workflow here.

You've got a BRAW clip, you want to work that clip in a log format ... ok, not that many do that, but from working with colorists I know for some they'll apply a common log variant to EVERY bit of media in a project to get as similar a starting point as possible. I am guessing that's what you're doing here.

I'l test this out, get back in a bit.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"You've got a BRAW clip, you want to work that clip in a log format" - correct

my senior editor wanted to edit in log format + proxy with the log format too. i didnt ask why. lol. just wanted to help him.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok ... I tested both the current shipping and public beta versions, using BMPCC 4k clips and the Autokroma BRAW Studio plugin.

You are absolutely correct about the behavior. It replicates in both shipping & public beta.

Interesting that the clip properties in the bin show the clip as having BM Design for both gamma and gamut, even though the Clog is chosen.  Yet it uses and displays the 'base' original clip properly.

And it gets weird ... as for the ProRes proxies I created via "create proxies", the color space is shown as 601 ... ?!

But definitely normalized, no longer log.

I filed a bug/query about this on their public beta forum ...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-beta/bug-braw-media-set-to-canon-clog-get-proxies-that-a...

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Neil for that info and help! my current solution for now is  I exported every raw clip from davinci with log and downsize resolution and reconnect proxy via premiere. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I first responded I had links to images that I didn't click on, so didn't see nice pictures of settings ( proxy on and off and log chosen for gamma ). Now I'm wondering, what was the export like ??? Isn't this a question about export not matching proxy in program viewer ( at 709 ? ).

Normally people try to match source with source color space and then deal with various potential outputs. A post house will like it if they can export at rec709 or Projection or Web etc. by applying luts to match SMPTE standards, etc.

There's absolutely nothing that makes sense to shoot raw and go to log gamma and THEN export expecting something other than rec 709 from adobe. Depending on what you watch the export on.

Is important not to waste too much time on stuff you have no control over.

🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello salvo! proxies colors are the same with the braw. i just wanted my proxies are the same with my colorspace & gamma settings from the plugin. (see picture 1 and picture 2 with the log).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 0
salvo34 LATEST
Advocate ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks DJ

I did see the images now that they are not links and this is really interesting cause I never even THOUGHT to do a log proxy for raw... kinda opens my brain to new possibilities but confuses me.

hehe... thanks for sharing !!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a ceiling fan. the light switch broke so I took it apart and there wasn't enough wire to put a new switch on so I hard wired the switch to the fan. So when I turn the whole unit on, both the fan and the light come on. It was ugly but worked OK. Then the led light got old and I bought new one. For some odd reason the new one was really really BLUE ( like really ugly ). Made me look like I was in a walking dead TV show.  So, I put full CTO around the bulb. The gel doesn't touch the bulb so it won't get hot and burst into flames ( roscoe full CTO is slightly flame retardant anyway ).  The color is now a lot nicer.  I think that's what shooting stuff is all about ... shoot, match in post, export. Simple.

FULL CTO.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 1