Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Books or tutorials on how to use Premiere Pro CC

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am a complete novice, and although the ADOBE video guides are great.  I'm struggling to keep up with the dialogue as I feel that they assume you have either intermediate or at least basic video editing/processing skills and have just jumped to their software package(s).

It could also be that I am a complete boofhead and I am not cut out for this.  However, I am going to go with my first thought.

Can anyone recommend a book or site that pretty much takes you by the hand after uploading your first video (taken from a mobile phone or drone) and then guides you all the way through to a video that JJ Abrams would be proud of!

I have seen videos (taken by the exact mobile or drone I use) that people have put on that make me go wow, why do mine look just flat and colourless??

Your help in this will be gratefully accepted

Ozziegit

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest to take out a subscription at Lynda.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all im first learn for Adobe premiere so guys i need your help for my work....because I im not understanding editings videos so please help me anyone  free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jarle Leirpoll has a huge book, 1200 pages, "The Cool Stuff in Premiere Pro " ... that is getting a bit old in a few places, but still has by FAR the best overall look at how to quickly, accurately, and completely do about anything in Premiere.

From setup, system, and general preferences on through editing, sound, graphics, color, sending to AfterEffects/Audition, multicam, everything.

Also check out his website ... PremierePro.Net which has a ton of essays and demonstrations.

I've got some color things, explaining most of Lumetri's controls, up on my 'old' blog, though I need to redo some things.

https://premierepro.net/

And ... Colin Smith's "VideoRevealed" YouTube channel, and Paul Murphy's "ThePremierePro" YouTube channel are good and solid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Ann.

As to the why yours look "flat and colorless" ... that's part of what you learn as you become better at this ... learning to do both color corrections and eventually color 'grading' if you put in the work. It's both simple to start and very complex to do well. Like many other things in editing.

You just have to do it ... again ... again ... again ... and following along working out what's happening in say lynda.com tutorials is about as fast a learning process as you'll find.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ozziegit​: Have you watched our intro videos? Premiere Pro tutorials | Learn how to use Premiere Pro CC

Start with Create a project and import a clip​ and then go from there. There are 10 tutorial pages in all and each come with practice files. If you have already tried this series and are still stumped by Premiere Pro, then please send me a direct message with your feedback and I will forward it to the team that developed that content. By the way, this tutorial (from the same series) covers color adjustments: Change the look of your clips

Since you asked for a book recommendation, I'd recommend: Adobe Premiere Pro CC Classroom in a Book (2018 release). In fact, the author, Maxim Jago, is the same person as the presenter in the beginning video series I mentioned previously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to chime in that the tutorials on Adobe are made for people new to Premiere. I have been looking for a in depth advanced tutorial on the "essential Graphics" (which is bunk IMO). I just don't have time to relearn something that, honestly, did not need to be changed. I am either missing it, or it doesn't exist or I what I am truly looking for is to vast to cover. I can't find much on Youtube either, it is always the same information with no advanced information.

The media company I work for, uninstalled 2018 and reinstalled 2017 and now is looking for a new video editing program because Adobe dropped the ball with this version. I am holding out hope that they will fix the many many bugs with their next update.

If anyone has a place to learn more advanced tutorials, especially with Essential Graphics, I would sincerely appreciate it.

Thanks for the Vine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The EGP is a very different process than the ancient titler. Which, I should note, was about the most reviled part of PrPro except for closed captions until the EGP came out. Then suddenly the old Titler was perfect. Weird.

Anyway ... you do need to study those basic operating things for the EGP, to start understanding how it works. And as you start working with it, it's got things it can do that the Titler never could have been setup to do. Have you looked at the tons of things available ... many for free ... via Adobe Stock? While the Titler could have done some, many are way past what that tool could do.

I've started working some in AfterEffects ... which I've avoided whenever possible ... just because of the awesome text/shape tools that app has which can be used to create the mogrts that drive the EGP work.

It's frustrating some as you really are starting over to learn something totally new and different. And especially in the 2017 version, was missing some tools needed that were still available in the Titler like gradients. But things are coming in now, and I'll be intrigued to see what's previewed at NAB. And how soon we all get to work with it.

Watching our state public broadcasting ... I've already seen several of the graphics used from the templated mogrt's available via Stock.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For now you best bet is Youtube:

essential graphics premiere pro - YouTube

Adobe is way behind with tutorials and a descent help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to Neil and Ann, I really like Jarle's stuff: 

https://premierepro.net/coolstuff/

he's got a lot of things for mogrts and the essential graphics too.

you can also give After Effects a try in creating advanced mogrts 

to use inside Premiere Pro's Essential Graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Essential Graphics panel allows us to do everything we did with the Legacy Title Tool and then some.

When referrting to the Essential Graphics panel, we're really talking about Motion Graphics Templates (MOGRTs).  

This is probably the best guide written to date on MOGRTs:

An important thing to keep in mind when getting started with MOGRTs is that they can be made in Premiere Pro or After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ozziegit wrote:

I am a complete novice, and although the ADOBE video guides are great, I'm struggling to keep up with the dialogue as I feel that they assume you have video editing/processing skills... Can anyone recommend a book or site that pretty much takes you by the hand after uploading your first video ?

Here are a few easily-digestible "quick start" guides to help beginners getting started with Premiere Pro...

Start here:

Adobe Premiere Pro CC Tutorial (16 pages)

...or here:

Premiere Pro: Setup & Basic Operation (16 pages)

Next steps:

Editing with Adobe Premiere Pro (19 pages)

All are no cost.

As others have mentioned above, YouTube and Adobe's intro tuts page are also good resources. Lynda/LinkedIn is as well, but requires a subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro: Setup & Basic Operation link is broken... can you fix please, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to contact the University.

On a side note some is quite outdated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @markl78029787,

It looks like they moved that guide to a different area of their website, expanded it to add dozens of new pages covering additional topics, and updated it all for Premiere Pro 2022.

The link above has been edited and should work again now. Thanks for the heads up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And they have a new major pdf on using Premiere Pro published. It's titled as Premiere Pro for long-form/episodic workflows. But ... it's really an execellent primer on the data from the design choices on building computers for Premiere work through setting up Premiere Pro on various hardware and workflows.

It's really something all users of Premiere Pro would be helped by reading ...

Best Practices for Long-form and Episodic Workflows

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great find, Neil – thanks!

Very in-depth at 139 pages, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for this Neil! really great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The chief author is non other than Jarle Leirpoll ... the Norwegian one-man-band that does broadcast video/vfx/audio in what, seven-eight languages, wrote THE book on using Premiere Pro ... his massive, 1,000+ page tome The Cool Stuff in Premiere Pro is the other,

massive and best-source for how to most quickly and effictiently do anything in Premiere.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Premiere Pro Classroom in a Book (2022 release)

https://www.peachpit.com/store/adobe-premiere-pro-classroom-in-a-book-2022-release-9780137625123

Published Aug 24, 2022 (Available for pre-order)

WarrenHeaton_2-1659372301831.png

The Adobe Premiere Pro Classroom in a Book is available for prior releases as well:

https://www.peachpit.com/search/index.aspx?query=PRemiere+Pro

When it comes what to be thinking about while you're editing:
In the Blink of an Eye by Walter Murch
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Blink_of_an_Eye_(Murch_book)

WarrenHeaton_3-1659372697968.jpeg

As far as creating something that JJ Abrams would be proud of goes, you'd want to follow any of the online tutorials by Andrew Kramer and his team over at Video Copilot (https://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/).

WarrenHeaton_4-1659372879807.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines