• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bug? Keyframe interpolation does not correctly translate from Premiere to After Effects

Participant ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a known issue and is there a workaround?  The issue has existed since at least the 2020 versions and still in 2021. When animating Motion properties like scale and position in Premiere Pro and then bringing the sequence into After Effects via Dynamic Link or via import project, keyframe interpolation does not always match. For example, if Ease In or Ease Out are set for Scale keyframes in Premiere, these keyframes show up in After Effects as bezier keyframes with 0.01 influence, and are effectively linearly interpolated. Position keyframes set with Ease In / Ease Out / Bezier interpolation in Premiere come into After Effects with correct interpolation sometimes but not others. Auto Bezier keyframes on either property export to After Effects with different interpolation most of the time. In the particular case of exactly two scale keyframes with Ease In / Ease Out interpolation in Premiere, manually setting the influence to 33% (not 33.333%) in After Effects seems to make the animation match between the two programs. But this workaround is not a solution with more complicated keyframe setups.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can select the scale keyframes inside After Effects and press F9, then adjust them

inside the graph editor using the speed graph if you know how to do that...

My advice is that when you are going for keyframing, blending modes, adjustment layers etc...

better start this inside After Effects and then get them into Premiere Pro as mogrts since

we now have the wonderful mogrts workflow... if you 'have' to use Dynamic Linking for certain reasons,

link your footage to After Effects comps before doing any keyframing, masks or blending modes,

then create all of that inside After Effects. I would always go for mogrts if I do not really have to dynamic link... 

concerning keyframe interpolations yes this happens with me too, it is not the same from PP to AE,

I would  like to start a feature request on the user voice, but that would get Premiere Pro to become After Effects,

while it is not really designed for Motion Graphics, it is a Video Editing tool...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, my only workaround at the moment is to do painstaking adjustments in the graph editor in AE, but this is not a real workaround in any but the simplest setups.  Also, the fact that scale keyframes move from one program to the other with influence set to .01 and a simple change to 33 in some cases restores matching interpolation suggests this is a fixable bug.

I respectfully disagree that one should not use Premiere keyframes in this way.  Filming in 4k for delivery in HD is a standard workflow.  With scaled footage, some amount of pan-and-scan is not mogrt, it is standard editing, and adding a link to after effects for this basic task would interrupt and slow down the edit process. However, when we then need to perform a true after effects task with a clip, such as advanced keying or motion graphics compositing, we should expect that bringing the clip into after effects will maintain the basic properties of scale and position we have set in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you think that it is worth starting a feature request on the user voice?

if so, let me know and i will start that then ask you to vote on the link..

you can also comment for further details

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I actually already did post this there as well - here is the link:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/43167183-bug-report-premier...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

tx! will vote for sure

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines