• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bug: Timeline playback is extremely laggy in CC 2019

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd classify the current timeline playback implementation as very buggy in the most recent release. I'm running with up to date Nvidia drivers (with the latest version of Cuda), and in testing a project on the previous version and this version, the playback lag rendered editing in CC 2019 completely unusable.

Is anyone else dealing with similar issues? I'm on a Windows PC laptop, i7-7700HQ, 32 Gigs of ram. The previous version worked perfectly for editing GH5 10-bit footage. As a test, I have the same project setup in Davinci Resolve 15, and it plays and perfectly with zero lag.

Adobe, please fix the playback and Cuda acceleration problems in the latest version!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

I am not using proxies. I have used the proxy workflow before, but am not prepared to unnecessarily change my workflow due to a bug. I'm sticking to CC 2018 since the timeline playback works as it should.

I'll give CC 2019 another try in a few months once they've worked out the bugs and fixed their Cuda support.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are using Cineform proxies, as described below?

Work offline using proxy media |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not using proxies. I have used the proxy workflow before, but am not prepared to unnecessarily change my workflow due to a bug. I'm sticking to CC 2018 since the timeline playback works as it should.

I'll give CC 2019 another try in a few months once they've worked out the bugs and fixed their Cuda support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is especially true when working with Dynamic Link. CC 2018 worked fine for me, with or without proxies, and now rendering out even basic Dynamic Link comps takes much longer. I'm on a 2013 Mac Pro with 24 GB of RAM, and i"m working largely with still photos and a few blended layers on top. Nothing that I've had problems with before, and yet the new update has made it excruciating to render.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

I was also experiencing stuttering in Premiere Pro CC 2019.

I recently purchased the Atomos Ninja V, an external recorder that can record up to 4k60p 422 10-bit signal.

I tried everything to fix the lagg and even my proxy files were lagging.

I went into sequence settings > video previews:

There i saw that the video preview quality was set sky-high on a DNxHR RGB 444 UHD 25 / 3840x2160 format with the option

'compositie in linear color' turned on. This was clearly the problem.

I changed the video preview settings to DNxHD LB 1920x1080 with the option 'compositie in linear color' turned off.

Now my Premiere runs smooth like butter again.

Hopefully this helps for some people, cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The linear color check, unfortunately, does not solve my problem. In CC 2018, I have the identical project set up as a test where linear color is checked and things run flawlessly. I've tried checking and unchecking in CC 2019 without success. Playback chugs along.

At this point, I'm waiting for the next update to see if they sort out the errors. This issue is present on both my 1060 and 1080 TI cards. So I'm pretty certain there's an issue with the Cuda implementation in 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS! Fixed my problems. Was having purely miserable playback in CC2019 even after rendering, while CC2018 was playing other projects perfectly. Mine was also at 4K Animation Codec for some reason. HD DXNR fixed problem immediately.

Unfortunately gotta change it for each sequence one at a time in the project but still, seems to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2019 Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Solved it! I have system with duel processors @ 2.2 GHz with 44 Cores total and 128 GB of RAM. Shouldn't have issues right? I installed the new RTX 2080Ti. I ran into stuttering on my timeline every 5 seconds as soon as I upgraded to Pr 2019. I tried Proxies, footage conversion, yelling, and nothing fixed it. My computer at work, which is similar, a little more powerful, but has a Quadro P6000, has no issues. I was baffled till I tried switching my timeline settings finally as suggested here and it fixed the stuttering.

- I selected my timeline sequence.

- Right clicked and chose sequence settings

- Changed my Editing Mode to DNX 1080P

- Previews to DNX HQ 1080p 24

- Codec DNxHD

My guess is the new NVIDIA RTX 2080Ti is just less stable than a Quadro P6000. Your Codec might differ based on your card, like at work my P6000 ran Pr 2019 fine with no stuttering, but play around here till you find what works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where can i find the sequence settings? I am quite new to adobe and my timeline is very laggy. Im trying to move the blue line across but there is such a delay and whenever i hit play it just goes back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checking in to say THIS SOLVED MY PROBLEM! I was editing smoothly the other day and then suddenly opened up old time line and suddenly lags when cruising through timeline. I was frustrated for a few hours and eventually found this fix! Thanks so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The changes this guy made above me did extraordinary work, automatically playbacks smoothly now, no complaints, thank you so much for this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem when updating to 2019.

Turns out the supplied external drive (USB 3.0) I had my clips on was formatted 'ExFat'. Since moving them to a Max OS Extended drive things ran like usual again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also changed the exFAT to HFS + and solved the problem.
Thank you very much!

MacPro 2013

High Sierra

Premiere Pro CC 13.0.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing exactly the same problem. Been using Premiere Pro CC 2019 since it was launched and it was working perfectly but now the timeline is running really laggy and choppy.

I'm using my normal 4k footage and Cineform 720p proxies workflow and it's never been like this. It's almost unusable!

I've opened the same project in Premiere Pro CC 2018 and I have no play back issues at all.

There definitely seems to be a problem with the current version of Premiere Pro CC 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem and second your request for Adobe to fix this ASAP! I'm using Cineform proxies and they're playing back incredibly laggy on 2019, fine on 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing laggy choppy video in the timeline. Even in FULL HD after the CC19 update.

A have a monster PC. Fastest i7 64GB mem. 1080Ti, Fast Raid 10 drives.
Adobe, what is wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that updating the nvidia drivers gave some performance improvements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone been able to find a fix for this? I'm having the same problem. Project worked fine in Premiere Pro CC 2018 but playback is extremely laggy in 2019 and I cannot work on projects. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no fix at the moment, not with recent Nvidia drivers or playing around with sequence settings and linear color. This program is broken at the moment and it's an absolutely embarrassing release. I'm in the middle of a couple projects but am planning on learning and switching to Davinci Resolve over the Christmas break once work quiets down.

I'll miss the tight integration with After Effects and the rest of the CC suite, but this program is completely unusable for professional work at the moment. And there's no acknowledgment or timetable for getting this fixed. I've used Premiere for a long time (Since Release 5.1 in 1999) and I've never seen a worse roll-out than this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had some time to mess with this today because it is bugging me, too. I exported three different :30 files, a Cineform 1920x1080 10-bit YUV, a comparable DNxHD HQX 10-bit file, and a 10-bit uncompressed quicktime. I played each one of them in their own timeline in each version of Premiere (2018 and 2019) and watched the task manager for CPU/GPU usage. So, six timelines—three in each version.

Both the Cineform and DNxHD start out with really high CPU usages ~20+% then settle down after about 5 seconds to something more reasonable. And it was actually higher in 2019, starting around 25-20%

In 2018 they settle to about 4-6%, but it seemed that in 2019 they only lowered to 7-9% and then would occasionally creep up and down.

The uncompressed started at 4% and remained the same in both programs. No initial CPU surge at all. This would explain why setting my previews to 10-bit uncompressed smoothed all my problems out for me. Problem is, they are giant and only good for short form work.

GPU loads were about the same in both.

The fact that 2019 started the video with a higher CPU load and never settled to the same low number may be just enough of a difference that everytime it hits a new edit it has to deal with this.

I'm sure someone here will find problems with my un-scientific method, but I'm just trying to figure out why 2018 is so smooth compared to 2019 playing off the same drive with the same footage. I thought I'd explain what I did so maybe it'll lead someone to figuring this out.

**EDIT. Okay one thing I did was just go find updated drivers for my ASmedia USB 3.1 chipsets. The ones that Microsoft installs are from 2016. These are from 7/2018 and WHQL certified. They made a big difference. So that has helped a lot. Wish MS and/or the manufacturers would keep these up to date. Even the motherboard manufacturer has the old ones listed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having Completely unacceptable lag issues with playback!!!!!!!!! On a Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3.

I can't even get the playhead to load the frame when I move it. I hit spacebar it takes 10 seconds plus to start playing. I have tried EVERY video preview setting they have. THIS NEEDS TO GET FIXED F-ING FAST OR IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON TO AVID!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a mac pro 5.1 on Mojave 10.14.2 with 30 gig of ram, a saphire RX-580 5g video card running Pr2019.

Its a complete disaster... lagging playback, or freezes while I have to wait 10 secs for the space bar to engage playback and with just a small amount of media it gets increasingly longer to save... auto save can sit there for 20 secs!  I feel like I'm editing on a 1990s piece of software.  At least in rarely crashes which is small consolation.

My fix is to get thru editing is to mute the Fx while cutting.

Pr 2019 is just not ready for Mojave!!!!!  So far this is the only solution... If you're on Pr 2018, I'd suggest delaying an upgrade.

Adobe please work on the basics, stable platform, good code to maximize rendering and playback.  Forget 3D and VR and all

your other marketing tricks because if you don't solve this soon I'm abandoning Pr for good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention I'm cutting with 1080p material shot at 29.27

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use 48 core dual xeon 2680v3 @3.5 ghz / 256gb ddr4 @ 2133 / 2 x rtx quadro 5000 and m.2 on board / the rest only m.2 nvme for the basic 4k videos. I can't playback even with 1/8 quality ! The lagging is horrible! Did you find anything yet to fix it? Is there any other similar software to use on windows workstations/servers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most recent update has not fixed the laggy timeline playback issue. This is pretty bad, and it's looking pretty likely that I'll be migrating to Resolve shortly. Can't say much more than that I'm disappointed in Adobe and this latest release. It's DOA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines