• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bug: Timeline playback is extremely laggy in CC 2019

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd classify the current timeline playback implementation as very buggy in the most recent release. I'm running with up to date Nvidia drivers (with the latest version of Cuda), and in testing a project on the previous version and this version, the playback lag rendered editing in CC 2019 completely unusable.

Is anyone else dealing with similar issues? I'm on a Windows PC laptop, i7-7700HQ, 32 Gigs of ram. The previous version worked perfectly for editing GH5 10-bit footage. As a test, I have the same project setup in Davinci Resolve 15, and it plays and perfectly with zero lag.

Adobe, please fix the playback and Cuda acceleration problems in the latest version!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

I am not using proxies. I have used the proxy workflow before, but am not prepared to unnecessarily change my workflow due to a bug. I'm sticking to CC 2018 since the timeline playback works as it should.

I'll give CC 2019 another try in a few months once they've worked out the bugs and fixed their Cuda support.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do they even bother to look at these messages to care enough to fix this?

I'm 90% on the way to finishing my film and now I can't even play back the timeline sequence and pause and edit because it will take 15 seconds to load playback again.

It's like hey we'll take your money and give you a horrible product. Now i'm stuck because I can't spend 8 months re-editing on a new software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gone back to Sierra OS and Pr 2018 until they sort this out. I'm sorry to hear about your frustration.

I wonder if its only Mac versions that are the most problematic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Projects getting slower and slower... A workaround for me was creating a new empty project, mark all the stuff of the laggy project and insert it into the empty one. Close the old one. - Here it works until the next day perhaps ...  then I have to do it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1/4/19 - Just upgraded to CC2019 and it is 100% WORTHLESS. Completely unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that randomly premiere pro loses the ability to use CUDA. If I then restart premiere it then picks up the CUDA option and then it works fine. It happens randomly though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I was alone with this issue.

6 Core, 64GB RAM, 950 and 850 pro SSDs for OS, Scratch and storage. GTX 1070 and clean install

ANY footage I put in the timeline results in a CPU spike to 100% for the first few seconds, then drops to 20-30% and dropped frames, GPU barely utilized ever except for plugins.  I'll put the playhead back to the beginning and sometimes it plays at 30% cpu, sometimes 100%.  Seems moving it to any other position almost always causes a spike. 

Proxies, various formats NOTHING works.  I dropped a 720 avi file in form years ago and it even had a little spike on playback.

Effects on/off, resolution full or 1/4.  Every post I can find including developer tweaks offer absolutely nothing.

Despite relying heavily on AE, Premiere and Photoshop, what the hell good is it if you can't even simply playback footage in the timeline that other programs can do with 4 at time without breaking a sweat?

Next update if nothing changes, I'm forced out.  Projects are costing me time and money.  It's going to be painful I'm sure but I'm just disgusted at their money grabbing subscription model coupled with sh1t quality control and ignoring thousands of issues people have.

Worse yet are the paid apologists on the forums that blame everything on users adding insult to injury.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same Issue with HLG HDR 10 Bit from the GH5...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The DNxHD codec works great with my RTX2080 now, very smooth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALSO, having similar issues. Spent my whole weekend trying to figure out what the problem is.

Basically, Premiere runs very laggy in the timeline and will barely export anything. After eliminating certain known effects that have caused past issues(opacity, Red Giant effects, scale combined with other effects, etc...), it still wasn't up to par.

I would go back to 2018 but it wont let us open a 2019 project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these measures worked for me. I had to go back to CC2018. Here is a great explanation on how to open newer projects in older versions of Premiere:

Open a New Premiere Pro Project on an Older Version! New PP Project on Older version, no software! -...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the workspace to editing fixed playback for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2019 Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

April 13, 2018

Like an idiot, I just updated my Premiere yesterday and now playback is completely shot.  Has ANYONE found any fixes for this?  I have cleaned out caches, changed settings, cleaned hard drives, reverted back to default settings, tried creating a new project file and copying into it, changing the workspace, rendered everything possible, deleted all render files, lowered the playback resolution.

I have been set back two days so far and cannot figure out a fix that works for me on this one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you probably thought of this--but just in case:  Same happened to me when I updated.  After trying endless things, I forgot to check an obvious one--the latest Premiere did not default to using GPU.  So I went under the settings (Edit-Preferences-Playback) and checked enable mercury transit.  Why it would EVER default unchecked is beyond me.  I hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After wasting a ton of time doing everything mentioned in this thread and more, I finally deleted all of the cache files, on a Windows PC located at: C:\Users\*Username*\AppData\Roamimg\Adobe\Common. You will find two directories, Media Cache and Media Cache Files. I deleted all of the files both of these directories. After restarting PP2019 it ran perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would appear that clearing these Media Cache and Media Cache Files folders (which were full of GBs of old garbage) has fixed my playback for the moment. Thank you for this suggestion. I will keep it in mind as a housekeeping thing to do if the issue returns. Fingers crossed this is resolved. Thanks for posting this suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's up, Adobe?

Sick and tired of your shoddy, garbage updates. I'm experiencing the SAME ISSUES PEOPLE HAVE BEEN WRITING ABOUT FOR MONTHS, and have tried EVERY F**** SOLUTION LISTED ABOVE.

I have 4k drone clips. I need to assemble a """"""""QUICK"""""""""""" Cinematic for a client. This was supposed to tke about an hour. Now I've spent 3 and can't even preview my first two clips.

I HATE what Adobe has become. Your products are WORTHLESS and they DON'T WORK.

What the F*** am I supposed to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience with all versions of Premiere up to and including 2019, is that I can‘t play any 4K files in real-time. Every 4K clip either stutters or won’t play at all. Even rendering to a 4 x SSD RAID-0 scratch disk in a low data rate Dnx codec refuses to play.

I have an older 2012 Mac Pro but it has dual 6-core CPU’s, 6GB GTX 980Ti, 48GB RAM, 8 x RAID-0 and Decklink 4K. No XAVC or ProRes 4K clips will play cleanly. H265 drone clips refuse to play even one frame.

There is much to love about Premiere and the work the designers have done, but it is very frustrating that even basic professional 4K connectivity hasn’t been perfected. Our studio wastes hundreds of hours each year just working around the non-4K playability. Our Windows workstations have a similar experience.  But I like the feature-set of Premiere and have a huge investment in compatible plugins so we can’t change platforms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I understand 4k can be demanding, I've set up a sequence at 1920x1080, halved the fps to 30, and have some animated type elements over some of the clips.I've set it up to be DNX, messed with GPU acceleration (which does nothing), and every other solution listed above and it simply wont work. It's infuriating.

This is all on an iMac Pro with a 10-Core Xeon AMD Processor, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, and the Radeon Vega 64 GPU. This computer is a beast, and Premiere can't play back 20 seconds of 4k?  Pathetic. I'm live-viewing an architectural visualization animation through Cinema4D on this thing with no problems, and Premiere can't preview VIDEO?

Hello? Adobe?

I asked you a question. How am I supposed to get my client their promised work if your "professional" product doesn't work as advertised? How do I live-preview my clips so I can actually deliver their footage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this.

Edit - Preferences - Audio Hardware

under Default Input - select "No Input"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a solution? I have tried everything. Nothing has worked. I am not even working with 4K files. It is doing it on my HD files as well. I had to assemble a 1-minute video yesterday and normally it would take me fifteen minutes. It took me three hours with this issue. Adobe, will you be responding to anyone here on this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried a lot of things. My playback with mercury transmit has become so stuttery, I can't play 4k files, no matter the codec. It's just embarrassing having to explain to my clients why I can't make the other screens work so they can see the video...

I'm quitting Adobe soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, I am in the process of moving to Davinci Resolve! So much better!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution!!! I started experiencing extreme lag in premiere pro in late 2018. For the record, I'm on a 2017 MacBook pro with 16gigs of RAM, so it should be capable of working smoothly. Smaller projects had slightly less lag, but the spinning wheel was appearing all the time for me, even when I clicked nothing, or clicked something simple like the menu bar. This has been crippling my workflow and making it take ten times longer than it should to compete a project. So painful! I was considering buying a new computer. I spent hours on the line with Adobe help centre, and with them tried things like completely uninstalling and reinstalling all Adobe products, and renaming backend Adobe content folders. We also tried creating a new user account on my computer and creating a new project through this account. Nothing worked. Finally I tried doing a "clean install" of my hard drive, and it worked! It got rid of whatever messed up coding premiere had accidentally baked into my computer. I'm back to working with complex projects, with hundreds of 4k files linked to proxies, etc, and no lag at all! it's a bit of a pain, because you need to basically turn a flash thumb drive into a bootable drive, and back up everything on your computer (you'll lose all data). Took about 3 hours all in, but for me, it was 100% worth it. So relieved I can edit again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean a "clean install" of the OS or only of premiere CC 2019  ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clean install my m.2 drive. I have good pc with quadro rtx5000 and 48 core@ 3.5ghz and is still not working with basic 4k videos.  Any help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines