Build my own MOGRT video transition

Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies if this has been asked already, I've trawled through this site and done some googling this morning and couldn't find much (anything relevant) on the subject.

I'm used to building my own MOGRT's to use in my videos in Premiere Pro.  I use these primarily to ensure brand consistency from video to video.  I want to build a couple of MOGRT templates that work in the same way as the built in transitions.  Take one of the stock transitions like Film Dissolve:

You can drag and drop this onto two clips so that they dissolve into each other.

5Diraptor_0-1607936230728.png 5Diraptor_1-1607936263443.png

So I want to build a custom transition MOGRT in After Effects that acts as a video transition, and can be dragged onto two clips like this to transition between the two.  Is this possible and how is this done?  Are there any tutorials on this?

Regards, 5Diraptor
TOPICS
Editing, Formats, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Build my own MOGRT video transition

Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies if this has been asked already, I've trawled through this site and done some googling this morning and couldn't find much (anything relevant) on the subject.

I'm used to building my own MOGRT's to use in my videos in Premiere Pro.  I use these primarily to ensure brand consistency from video to video.  I want to build a couple of MOGRT templates that work in the same way as the built in transitions.  Take one of the stock transitions like Film Dissolve:

You can drag and drop this onto two clips so that they dissolve into each other.

5Diraptor_0-1607936230728.png 5Diraptor_1-1607936263443.png

So I want to build a custom transition MOGRT in After Effects that acts as a video transition, and can be dragged onto two clips like this to transition between the two.  Is this possible and how is this done?  Are there any tutorials on this?

Regards, 5Diraptor
TOPICS
Editing, Formats, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 14, 2020 0
Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably not as a MOGRT . You may want to ask this in the After Effects Forum.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 14, 2020 0
Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob is right ... you can't do this with a mogrt. You could drag it to the track above the two clips, slipit sideways to the right start/end points, and have it play over them. I have seen some transitions that essentially worked that way.

But as an on-the-same-track transition, no.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 14, 2020 0
Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your replies.  Is it fairly difficult to build them to the same level as the built in transitions?  if so maybe I should leave it, just didn't know what was involved...

Regards, 5Diraptor

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 14, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5Diraptor,

Here is the link to the SDK: https://www.adobe.io/apis/creativecloud/premierepro.html

You'll need skills in coding C and/or C++ to create plug-ins and transitions like the ones you see in the application.

If writing code is too much for you, I would create a .mogrt that would save you time in creating a transition style effect. Let us know if you need help with that.

Thanks,

Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2020 0
Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin,

Whoa, that's seriously generous of you!  Really appreciate the offer, so I'm tempted to say yes, but at the same time, I don't think it would be as useful to me if I couldn't build them and tweak them myself - it might end up a waste of your time.

I use MOGRT's a fair bit and I can code in AE easily as I'm reasonably proficient in javascript, php etc.  So I'm always building and tweaking my library of mogrts that I use in Premiere Pro.  I've been trying to get into C# a bit (which I presume is also compatible with the Adobe SDK?) so might be best if I leave it for now and come back to it when I know what I'm doing.

Kind regards,

Tom

Regards, 5Diraptor

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2020 0
Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen some transitions de-constructed that I thought would have been complex, and they were rather simple if you know the exact effects and settings to use. I've some that in appearence were simple, but were extremely complex to construct.

So ... it can be all over the map. Learning to take a couple effects applied, then saved together as a preset is a massive leap forward for anyone in video post though. Worth doing for the learning.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2020 0
Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice Neil.  Very keen to get properly into this at some stage, but it's going to take a while I reckon!  I'd like to learn how to properly build all the additional stuff I want.

Regards, 5Diraptor

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2020 1
Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I built a step by step tutorial. On YouTube Search Ryan Matta - MORGT

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2020 1