• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bulk Subtitle Import - new 2021 (15) text workflow

Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loving the new text / captions workflow, but....

I have 1000 subtitles and need to place them on a timeline to generate timings, and to export an .srt file.  But I'm in a catch-22 - it seems the new workflow will import an .srt, but not a .txt file.  

Does this mean I have to manually copy and paste each individual line title?  

Or is there perhaps a 'bulk import' function that will assign a random duration (say 1 second or whatever) to each title, which I could then finesse on the timeline.  Or any other way of bringning in text in bulk?

Sure would save me a tonne of time if there was!

Thanks

Tim

[title edited by mod]

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , How to , Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

If you're on Mac OS you can use my little free "Untimed Caption Tool". It does convert .txt, .rtf, .doc and .docx text only files to either srt, vtt, Avid DS or FCP caption. The app also allows some text pre-formatting if needed.

You'll get it here:http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/Utilities/CaptionsAndText/UCT/index.html

A rough manual is included but can be downloaded individually here.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, not supported (yet). It would be a feature request.

I would use the free Subtitle Edit: https://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit

It has an "Import plain text..." option with a lot of choices for how it sets up the caption timings. It will auto-split/combine lines, use a max characters function, set durations automatically or to your set time, set a standard gap, etc. Then  you can export srt and bring that into PR.

Or you can add your video to SE and make your first adjustments there.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Stan.  I tried Andreas' solution first and wit works perfectly, so I won't get around to testing yours, but the input if hugely appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Stan

So I'm halfway through manually subtitling my feature film, when Adobe suddenly grants my request to use the Auto transcription feature!  I'm uploading my audio track as we speak.  Holding thumbs it works.

But I see there's a checkbox labelled "merge output with existing transcription".  Wich sounds useful, seeing as I already have an existing .srt dialogue list with aproximate timings.

But I can't seem to find any info on what it does, or how to use it. If could I get Premiere Pro to automatically finesse the timings, using my approved dialogue lines, that would be really amazing. 

I don't suppose you know about this feature?

Thanks

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Trent Happel Can you provide us with some input on Timmetjie's question about the "merge output with existing transcription"?  I have not played with that yet.

Timmetjie, transcription is still beta, so this thread might get moved there. It won't affect the thread, just which forum it is in.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is for when you want to re-transcribe a section (In/Out range) of your Sequence. When you go to Create Transcript, if you select "Transcribe in point to out point only" then "Merge output with existing transcription" will be enabled. This option will then merge/replace only the In/Out range of what you re-transcribed into the existing transcription in the Transcript tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aah, right, that makes sense!  

Thanks Trent, and thanks Stan for putting us in touch.

best

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on Mac OS you can use my little free "Untimed Caption Tool". It does convert .txt, .rtf, .doc and .docx text only files to either srt, vtt, Avid DS or FCP caption. The app also allows some text pre-formatting if needed.

You'll get it here:http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/Utilities/CaptionsAndText/UCT/index.html

A rough manual is included but can be downloaded individually here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Andreas.  Your UCT works a treat, fast & simple!

I had actually figured an elaborate workaround... cutting and pasting using excel to generate timecode, then into word to fix formatting and into txt editor to make the srt.  But your tool is way better!

Thanks

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim,

Glad to hear it works for you. Good luck with your project!

Andreas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Andreas

So I'm halfway through subtitling my feature film, when Adobe suddenly grants my request to use the Auto transcription feature.  Am uploading as we speak.

But I see there's a checkbox labelled "merge output with existing transcription".  SOund useful seeing as I already have an existing .srt dialogue list with aproximate timings thanks to your app.

But I can't seem to find any info on what it does, or how to use it. If could I get Premiere Pro to automatically finesse the timings, using my approved dialogue lines, that would be really amazing. 

I don't suppose you know about this feature?

Thanks

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fwiw, I've been using Andreas' tools (which I paid for) for over 10 years and they've saved my life (or at least my professional life) a few times and whenever I've had any issues, he's been extremely helpful and in a timely fashion.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear, thanks mgrenadier!

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines