• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Button Assignments for Control Software in PP, undocumented feature??? Help please!

Explorer ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've spent countless hours on the internet searching for useful information on how to assign commands in Premiere Pro to buttons on a Behringer X-Touch Mini, with very little luck. The menu is easy to find in preferences, but the actual use of this feature seems to be largely undocumented. The only scant reference to it in the manual addresses only connecting the MIDI device and basic use of it for audio, but no instructions on how to use the Button Assignments interface within PP's Preferences for Control Surface to actually assign commands to buttons on the controller.

Out of the box and set to Mackie protocol the X-Touch Mini is readily recognized by PP and the Play, Stop, Rew and Ffw buttons work as expected. The single volume slider on the X-Touch controls the master volume, and the knobs control pan on available audio tracks when working in the Audio interface of PP.

However all the other buttons are sitting there unused, and I have not been able to figure out throughg trial and error how to assign commands to any of them using the "Configure Control Surface" section in PP's preferences.

Why is this such an obscure, undocumented feature, considering how potentially useful it is? Can someone here help? It would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance! 🙂

TOPICS
Editing , Hardware or GPU , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any mapping of a control surface is done via the manufacturer's control mapping application.

I use the Tangent full Elements panel and the smaller Ripple. For use within PrPro, I need to select the Tangent option in the surface control preference options. But past that, to map which knob, button, ring or ball does what when in PrPro is done in Tangent's mapping software.

You would need to have the equivalent from the maker of your gear.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Neil for your kind help.

Behringer does have an "Editor" app for mapping of the X-Touch Mini. Unfortunately it's PC only, which creates some practical nuisances for me as I only use Apple computers, I'll have to enlist the help of a friend with a PC or install a Windows emulator in my system (which in all truth I'd rather not do).

Still, the interface within PP's preferences for Control Surface Button Assignments remains mostly undocumented. How is it used? Can anyone explain?

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've never seen any facility within PrPro for assigning 3rd party gear other than simply associating it in the Preferences panel ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines