Highlighted

Buying a new laptop for Premiere Pro

Participant ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to buy a new laptop for Adobe Premiere Pro.     My number one consideration is reliability, since it will probably get used in remore locations far from service.   Its first assigmnent is two months on a beach in Bermuda, starting in December.   But it's also going to Namibia next year.  But beyond that I want horesepower and expandability since I do lots of high-speed video (so big files), I'll use it with an external monitor whenever possible, and LOTS of USB devices.  (think of it as my away-from-home-desktop)

Some good news:  many people looking for the "best" laptop in this forum set a low budget limit like US$1600 or £1000.   I don't want to spend any more than I have to, but I'll happily spend what I need to.   Also I'm partial to Lenovo b/c I already own 4 Lenovo's (two Thinkstations and two Thinkpads) and none of them have ever needed service, but if you can convince me another brand is more reliable I'm open to it.

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Buying a new laptop for Premiere Pro

Participant ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to buy a new laptop for Adobe Premiere Pro.     My number one consideration is reliability, since it will probably get used in remore locations far from service.   Its first assigmnent is two months on a beach in Bermuda, starting in December.   But it's also going to Namibia next year.  But beyond that I want horesepower and expandability since I do lots of high-speed video (so big files), I'll use it with an external monitor whenever possible, and LOTS of USB devices.  (think of it as my away-from-home-desktop)

Some good news:  many people looking for the "best" laptop in this forum set a low budget limit like US$1600 or £1000.   I don't want to spend any more than I have to, but I'll happily spend what I need to.   Also I'm partial to Lenovo b/c I already own 4 Lenovo's (two Thinkstations and two Thinkpads) and none of them have ever needed service, but if you can convince me another brand is more reliable I'm open to it.

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 29, 2020 0
Participant ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason the "More" button doesn't drop down to expose an "Edit" option in either Firefox or Chrome.   So I can't edit my post to add this, so I have to add it here. . .

I just noticed that the Lenovo P15 and P17 can be configured for RAID 1 if I install 2 drives.  That's a huge reliability boost since HD's to to be achilles heels in laptops.  So please don't suggest any laptops that can't be configured for RAID 1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 0