• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Adobe premiere rip DVD films and convert them to AVI or MOV format?

New Here ,
May 11, 2008 May 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can Adobe premiere CS3 rip DVD films and convert them to AVI or MOV format? If yes, how do you do it using the program please, if not, can anybody suggest a good DVD ripper that I can purchase? Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2008 May 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. No.
2. Google for ripping programs. If I were to use such a program, I would have to be Sly in choosing my Software. I would want my program to be able to rip AnyDVD, like DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW and DVD-RW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2014 Jan 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is years later, but this made me laugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2015 Apr 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you did there, Jeff Bellune

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2015 Dec 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just read this. Loved the encrypted message in your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2008 Jun 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Premiere is not capable of that. Neither is Encore, which, by the way, is the forum you posted this thread in.

If you google "DVD ripping software", you get many hits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2008 Jul 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They should make it in prmiere or encore...
It will make life more easy and all the files will we compatible with premiere.
and they will be nr. 1 software for editing (they are already but this way much further away then the rest)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2008 Jul 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> They should make it in prmiere or encore...

Absolutely not. Premiere Pro is an editor, suited for editable material. DVD's have already been edited, should not be edited again and are utterly unsuitable for editing. If you want to rip a DVD, use consumer applications.

Use the right tool for the job. If you want to make a call, use a phone, if you want a video, use a video camera, if you want a photograph, use a digital still camera. Don't confuse them or you will end up with crappy material.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 21, 2008 Jul 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Use the right tool for the job. If you want to make a call, use a phone, if you want a video, use a video camera, if you want a photograph, use a digital still camera. Don't confuse them or you will end up with crappy material.

:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2010 Mar 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of CS4.2, PrPro can now Import 100% DVD-compliant VOB's. When this was first posted, PrPro did not have that capability, hence Jeff's suggestion. Now, not all DVD-Videos are 100% DVD-compliant. A good example will be DVD's produced by many DVR-DVD machines. Their implementation of Menus and navigation usually mess things up. To date, I've not seen anyone having issues with any DVD created in Encore, though with some other authoring apps, all bets are off.

With the non-compliant DVD's, then ripping is about the only choice, or capturing through a player hooked to an A-D device (maybe even your video camera if it has pass-through) to capture software.

Thanks for the reference to Handbrake. I have not used it, but hear of it often.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at Handbrake and, unless I am mistaken, you must pay every 2 years or it expires... not something I would ever buy, if I had to buy it again every 2 years

Also... verify that whatever you use will work with CSS (is that the name?) protection... Digital Media Converter will NOT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John T.,

All of my VOB's are not copy protected in any way - fortunately. If I have to work with them, they are provided by clients, who "lost" the original material, and DVD-Videos are all that are available. There are programs, that will help by-pass Copy Protection, but I never need them.

I've never looked at Handbrake, but I agree with you. If I buy something, I want to be able to use it, until I upgrade it. Thanks for that info.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2014 Oct 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just drop the dvd folders into premiere, it will open anything that is not copy protected. I am doing this to backup dvds we get in the mail from clients, converting them to mp4 for viewing on other devices. I would not recommend this method for editing video in any professional setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines