• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I create a default bin for nested sequences, etc?

Participant ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like to keep an organized Project window.  When I create a new nested sequence of clips, you never know where the file will be placed in the Project window.  Usually, it's a root item ... but sometimes it lands in a bin.  Same thing when copying a frame of video as a still image, using the frame export tool / camera icon.  This also happens when dragging a sequence from one project to another.  The elements go all over the place. 

Is there a way to designate a default bin for all this stuff to land in?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Sumeet, I do appreciate your exhaustive explanation of search bins.  I have tried using them for many years, but they are far from infallible.

I asked:  Is there a way to create a default bin?  A simple "no" would have answered my question.  A search bin is not a default bin.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the project window in list view and sorted by name.

I make a bin called Nest: all I have to do is drag it up one position into the bin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I'm trying to avoid.  My projects have hundreds of items.  I want a bin that collects all the new junk without having to track each one down and get it out of the way.  Thanks for your interest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mr. Positronic,

You may not be able to do an automated bin creation specifically for the nested sequence but you can do it for sequence category as a whole or you can set an automated bin to sort  clips based on clip or media properties. In Premiere Pro, you have an option for Search Bins that displays a collection of project items matching your search criteria. Search Bins are updated automatically when importing assets, deleting assets, or modifying asset metadata.

You may create such custom Search Bins that can automatically rearrange and collect your clips and assets automatically.

You may refer to this link to learn more on Search Bins in Premiere Pro.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/finding-assets.html#FindassetsusingSearchBins

Hope you find it useful.

Regards

Sumeet Kumar Choubey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the search bin is a nifty trick and potentially a good workaround.  My projects, however, usually have a dozens of bins for footage shot in dozens of locations.  What happens when I import a new clip or make a new frame grab?  The file sometimes ends up in the main directory and sometimes ends up in a bin.  Sometimes I have to hunt it down.  I wish new files would either go to the bin that you designated or to a catch-all for new stuff, so at least I had only 2 places to look for it.

Can I program a search bin to show files that are newly added to a project? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mr. Positronic,

The Search Bins are automatically updated when importing assets, deleting assets, or modifying asset metadata. So if you add any new file in the project that matches the search criteria then it will be automatically listed in that specific Search Bin.

However, please note that the Search Bin is an additional bin that only supports an automated sorting of media or assets and you can not add an item manually to the Search Bin. It can only list an item under it once that item meets the search criteria.

The clips that you will import will still get imported into any other specified bin or the project tab itself. So you may have the imported media or assets outside the Search Bin and have a Search Bin with the sorting applied at the same time.

Regards

Sumeet Kumar Choubey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I'm not missing something.  There is no default.  Search functions are nice, but not the solution I was hoping for. Imagine if your web browser didn't have a way to always download a file to a certain folder.  I can always search for it, but it would be nice if it always went to the inbox.  And importing files is not the issue.  Most of the time, PP will import to the bin you select.  Nests never go to a selected bin.  Frame grabs sometimes go to a selected bin.  New sequences creating by dragging source material go to the source material bin. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mr. Positronic,

The Search Bins won't replace the regular bins. These will be only sorting and highlighting the search results for the assets used in the project based on the search criteria. Currently, the functionality to set filter criteria for the regular bins is not available in Premiere Pro and is limited to Search Bins. We will encourage you to submit a feature request for this here

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Regards

Sumeet Kumar Choubey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sumeet, I do appreciate your exhaustive explanation of search bins.  I have tried using them for many years, but they are far from infallible.

I asked:  Is there a way to create a default bin?  A simple "no" would have answered my question.  A search bin is not a default bin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DaVinci Resolve has such a feature.  Premiere Pro does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I follow Ann's suggestion and find that workflow to work for me, under the circumstances.  Mr_Positronic's suggestion would be great.  I landed here hoping for such a solution.  I tried boolean search bins, and it doesn't quite solve the problem, but it may work well enough for some.  (("Nested Sequence")) works to collect all nested sequences which I have not renamed.  This workflow is better for editors who don't need to organize their project pane.  The sequences will be left out in the project pane, but they will also collect into the search bin.

Edit Search Bin.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anything changed on this since 2018? I want to change the default bin for the nested sequences to go into. It makes no sense to me that they don't go into the same bin as the source footage (from a usability view) from a programming view it makes sense in that its the easiest option to fling them all to one place 😒

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this Jan 2021? Would love for there to be a solution to this that isn't just search bins.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bumping this thread again in 2022 - hoping people are feature-requesting this en masse.

If a sequence was originally created with a "nest sequence" command or if it has been edited into another sequence, I see no reason why this couldn't be tracked with a new searchable attribute in the project window, just as we can already search for clip usage.

Re-re-requesting this again in the new year, hope others will do the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! This would be helpful. I have a bin named nested sequences but I have to go and manually move all of my nested sequances into it after they are created. It would be nice to be able to set a "destination bin" for creating sequences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the place to request something ... their M&E people that decide most request items don't come here, they get the collated data from their Premiere Pro UserVoice site.

So ... go over there, search to see if there's a request for it.Then upvote it, and really ... post back here with a link so others can quickly go do so also. That gets the 'metrics' needed.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Neil. I could not find an existing request on User Voice after searching for a few minutes. May I ask someone from one of the threads to make one so we can follow suit by upvoting? Maybe @Brakr.co or @grahamw76261757 could oblige? The location is: Premiere Pro UserVoice

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I didn't see that anyone had started this request so I did within PP community.  Love to see this in next update.  Thanks!

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-ideas/feature-request-automatically-place-nested-sequenc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines