• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I create a new edited sequence from a muli-track timeline?

Participant ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am restoring a half hour 16mm student film that contains about a dozen scenes, in Premiere Pro. I have synced all the original sound to the original video using a separate sequence for each scene.  Now I want to start to assemble the scenes together, and add more tracks with affects and music, but I don't want to use the original edited sequences because they contain too many tracks - 2 to 4 video tracks and the same number of audio tracks per scene. And because they are only synced dialogue there is always the danger of something moving out of sync. I know I could lock them but it would be much easier to lock just one video and one audio track.

So, I would like to have each scene "mixed" down as is, to one video track, and one audio track.  If I export the media of each scene and then import it again, it will accomplish this, but is there a quality reduction problem with doing it this way?  Is there a way to create a new sequence by combining all the tracks in a sequence to one video track and one audio track?

Charles 

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Looks like "Create new sequence from clip" is what I was looking for. It reduces all the tracks to one video and one audio track.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would export out each sequence using a lossless codec like DNxHD/DNxHR or ProRes. And then import them back into the project to do your edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the speedy response.  The properties of my film clips are:

Average frame rate is 23.98 fps

Video data block #1:
Frame Size = 1920 x 1080
Compressor = Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)
Quality = Most (5.00)

So, I'm guessing that I should use Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) to export the scenes. One issue with this though is that I'm using Premiere 2019 because Premiere 2020 is giving me the incompatible graphcs error, and the Processor on my PC motherboard is not compatible with Adobe's suggested graphics driver - which is a real pain because the motherboard is only about 5 years old.  How dire is it if I just ignore the incompatible driver warning? Is that only a problem for 4K or 3D editing? And since Premiere is non destructive does it even affect the final output? I know this is almost a new topic but it impacts my question because ProRes is not available as an export in Premiere Pro 2019.

Charles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to create a new sequence by combining all the tracks in a sequence to one video track and one audio track?

Charles 

By @Charles_i

It's called Nesting:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/premiere-pro-nesting-sequence-cc.html#:~:text=To%20nest%....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it, but nesting is not what I want. It duplicates the layout of the existing timeline with all the video and audio tracks. What I meant by combine is, I want all of the clips in one timeline combined into only one video and one audio track, which is what happens when you export the media.

So, since I can't use ProRes in Premiere 2020, because I can't upgrade my video driver using Adobe's recommended driver, which of the DNxHD/DNxHR export settings would be equivalent given the properties of my clips that I posted above?

Thanks

Charles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In premiere pro when I choose my Format in export settings and I set it to "DNxHR/DNxHD MXF OP1a" it automatically selects a preset that matches my sequence settings. Maybe try that as a test? Like I said before I mostly use ProRes, so I don't have a lot of experience with DNx. Maybe someone can chime in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looks like "Create new sequence from clip" is what I was looking for. It reduces all the tracks to one video and one audio track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines