• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I fix my auto white balance that's adjusting during my video clip using Premiere pro?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I left my auto white balance on white I shot one long video clip =/ During the clip, the white balance adjusts itself and the video drastically changes from cold blue to warm red temperature. I know how to adjust white balance on one of those frames using premiere. But if I fix the cold frames, then it makes the warm frames even warmer and vice versa. Is there an auto white balance function in premier that will adjust as the video clip plays? Thanks so much for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Blade tool to cut the clip into two pieces at the center point of where the white balance change is taking place. Correct the color in the first half of the clip. Correct the color in the 2nd half of the clip. Place a long dissolve at the cut point you made to smooth out the change between color corrections.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this worked for a short part of it, but my camera dramatically adjusted every 15-30 seconds for like 8 minutes. I've seen this happen a little with iris but I've never seen so much color temperature difference shooting inside when the sun is diffused by several windows. Thanks for your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can keyframe the Temperature and Tint parameters inside the Effects Controls panel. It's going to be easier than trying to apply an effect to balance the two settings, and you'll be able to set the keyframes at varying speeds depending on how quickly the camera adjusted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may just need practice doing this because I think I made it worse. Thank you so much for your suggestion. I never noticed I could keyframe color temperature. I'll keep working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i remember setting up some crazy experiment in premiere where it used its own image colors to white balanced itself every frame in realtime with an adjustment layer. I'll have to see what I did. transfer mode color i think.

another alternative I made which 'may' be better than keyframing to death is actually an AE template I made that white balances the same way cameras do and removes the color cast every frame. Works so well, I haven't updated the code in 4 years.

AE CS3

CreativeCOW

I bet Neil's idea could be adapted to make a nice auto w/b preset. Maybe he'll post in here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for being so helpful. This looks awesome and I wish I had better after effects experience because I'm a little stuck. I downloaded your AE template and imported my video. I dragged my video onto the timeline under the template effects and I'm not entirely sure what to do next to get the white balance to adjust. Thanks again so much. I'm excited to learn more about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you right click - replace video.avi in project bar with your own footage; because its linked to many parts simultaneously and not a plugin, just a template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! It's loading now. I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note I just edited my post ... I'd been working with someone on another similar LUT I've made for neutralizing the shadow tones, and mis-wrote on the reply to you saying to use the Lightness/Luma slider. NO!

Feeling very silly, because the whole reason to do that is to get a mask that passes through only the very low saturated colors, which normally the lowest saturated items are close to neutral ... all the things that should be black, white, or various tones of grey.

Sorry about that!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope it's of use.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a tough situation. And why should a 38 years professional photographer I never use Auto white balance in a camera. Hard learned lesson it was.

What Chris references is a post about a LUT I made in PrPro Lumetri panel to use in the Basic Tab's Input LUT slot for easier color neutralization.

On a clip with NO corrections, go to the HSL tab and turn off (uncheck) the Hue and Lightness sliders of the key setting controls. Set the mask checkbox to "Color/grey" so only the image signal selected by the key will show color and all else is greyed out.

Grab the white line of the Saturation slider and move it over to the left towards the end. Grab the "width" control triangle and spread it so that the full width of the bar covers the left 25% of the Saturation slider, then take the falloff control and slide that right to about the 40% place.

Now go to the top of the Lumetri panel tab, the three little bats to the right of "Lumetri Color" and right- click, select "Export .cube ..." and give it a name probably beginning with 1 so it will be the first LUT in the drop down list saved in the Adobe/Lumetri/LUTs/Technical folder.

To use ... in the Basic tab, click the drop-down slit for the Input LUT. Your new mask LUT should appear... select it.

Set the Lumetri Scopes making sure the Vectorscope YUV is open, and adjust Temp and Tint to center the biggest mass of signal on the Vectorscope trace on the crossing of the two lines at the center.

Now go to the Input LUT slot and select "none". Hopefully your clip will be fairly close to neutral.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem, but using key frames is simply not an option. I need a funciton in Premier that allows me to choose a reference frame then have premier automatically adjust white blalance to match across a 4 hour video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Comparison View its under Color Wheels and Match in Lumetri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How will that automatically adjust whitebalance (temp) throughout the entire project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do one clip and then put the lumetri on a adjustment layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, How will that automatically adjust whitebalance (temp) throughout the entire project? I have 4 hours (dozens of clips) with temp changing multuiple times in a single clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, temp changing in a single clip will have to be done manually.

I know of no software that will do that automatically.

Cutting the clip would be IMO the easiest way then add a cross dissolve to smooth it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... hence my refrence to "key frames" not being an option. Niether is chopping dozens of clips into dozens more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas, cannot help you any further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and not just to beat up on you, but you didn't help to begin with. I rarely use community based support because those trying to help often don't have the time to read the full thread and understand the issue. Everyone just ends up wasting even more time, but thanks for trying. One thing you did say about using a "cross dissolve" is something easy to do when maybe there is one or two suttle temp changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guessing you are just pi..ed off as someone forgot the lock down the WB and you are the chosen one to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Our best guess, a GoPro frimware upgrade reset it and it was not checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's an idea.  many years ago, I was on site for a shoot in a hospital exam room.  even though we had a monitor on set we didn't see that there was an issue with the color temperature of the flourescent lights cycling red to green to red to green.... etc.  The only place this was really noticeable was on the white patient gown, the doctors white jacket, paper on the exam table, and the walls.  That's right, just about everywhere except the skintones.  I banged my head for a few days trying to keyframe the cycle (I can't remember whether this was avid or fcp7).  And then the light went on so to speak.  I reduced the saturation to 0 and limited the effect to high luma areas.  bingo.  Don't know if this will help you, but figured I pipe up.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines