Can I put a .mp4 in a .m2ts timeline?

Contributor ,
Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am re-editing s project I did in 2019.
Problem is my laptop crashed last spring but i did find an external with the edited .mp4 files and the original .m2ts.
I put the .m2ts on the timeline just fine but when trying to put the .mp4 on a line above it i only see the .mp3 audio files showing up and nothing for video.
The client only has the .mp4 to edit from and I do not remember the original edits that were on the laptop that crashed...so I want to compare the original .m2ts files with the dited files and his new edits...and there is my problem.
Maybe there is another way of doing this I am not getting.
My other option is to edit the .mp4 but I am sure it will degrade the video for his new product.
Ideas...Suggestions?

Thanks!
Mark

TOPICS
Editing, Error or problem, How to, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

although there will be some "technical" loss editing an mp4 it probably won't be noticeable if you set up your workflow properly.   download media info and check the specs of the mp4 file with it and tell us codec, frame rate, pixel dimensions...

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Soshman AUTHOR
Contributor ,
Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank You for respondidng!

Sorry for the late reply. Yesterday was crazy.
I think this is the information you asked for. This is the source clip and how I originally exported it.
If you need any other information. I should get back to you right away.

Thanks,

Mark
PS I am unsure of how to export the .mp4 for minimal loss after editing. Any suggestions would be well appreciated!

Sorry for the late reply. Yesterday was cra2020-12-04_10-40-06.jpgzy.2020-12-04_10-36-57.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry for any confusion, but I was asking for the source properties of the mp4 file you were importing into premiere.  MediaInfo is a solid tool to get this info.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Soshman AUTHOR
Contributor ,
Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I was not understanding but I think I am catching up a bit!

Is this what you were looking for?

2020-12-04_13-35-13.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Soshman AUTHOR
Contributor ,
Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original source file was a Sony Camera .m2ts file.
I edited it and exported as a .mp4

I still have both files but cannot remember the original edits and the client is refencing the .mp4 files.

The computer that crashed and was wiped had the .project files. I used to use them to do a second edit so I will have to use the .mp4's now and want them to look as good as possible.

Thank You!
Mark

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we're starting to get somewhere. 

did you have any autosave versions of the premiere project?    How did you develop the export preset that created the mp4 file ?    When you import the mp4 file into premiere and double click on it to load in the source monitor does the video and audio play?  If so, you probably don't have the patching set up properly when you edit it in to the timeline? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Soshman AUTHOR
Contributor ,
Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No the whole C drive was wiped and I had to install a fresh version of windows 10 on the laptop.
I will check the external hard drive for auto save BUT the client just wrote and said we could use the .mp4's if I think they will not degrade much.

Yes I can play them on the time line ( audio and video both in sync)
Not sure about patching set up properly or what it means sorry

How did you develop the export preset that created the mp4 file ?

Are you asking me about the settings I use to export?

Thank You!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

first things first, never keep your autosave folder on the same drive as your project file for exactly this reason...

you can do a search for the project name on your computer.  the autosave versions have the same name as the project with the date and time appended.  see the attached screengrab to understand the naming convention

Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 7.15.57 PM.png

you said in your original post "I put the .m2ts on the timeline just fine but when trying to put the .mp4 on a line above it i only see the .mp3 audio files showing up and nothing for video."   you need to make sure when you have the source file loaded in the source monitor that the video and audio are patched properly.  see the attached screen grab.  This is very basic stuff and I am not being snarky but you might benefit from doing some basic premiere tutorials to understand how the program functions.  I've been accused of being dismissive on a few occasions when I didn't think it was clear what the poster's expertise level was... 

Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 7.18.11 PM.png

so don't despair.  we can probably work this out.  Might have some time for a zoom session over the weekend if you want to discuss this directly.  You can send me a direct message by clicking my username at the top of this post.  sometimes it's much faster to talk directly...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Soshman AUTHOR LATEST
Contributor ,
Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thanks again for the quick response!

Yes i can see the value now of keeping them on seperate drives. I can easily put them on the external i have been using for the RAW files and .mp4's.

I will write you  so we can talk as I think that would be much faster and easier

Thank You!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines