Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I put my source files on my HDD?

New Here ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, everyone!

I'm new to the PC sphere, and was wondering how to about this. My build consists of a 1TB SSD and a 1TB HDD, and Premiere is installed on the SSD. In terms of speed when editing, will there be a difference in placing my source files on my HDD (since it has barely anything in it)? 

Also, I'd appreciate any tips for optimization with my HDD and SDD. Do I need to move my media cache, etc. 

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A HDD is only suited for back up.

Leaves the SSD for source files but better is to have a dedicated separate SSD.

I would get a smaller SSD just for OS and Programs and use the large SSD for all the rest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gotta disagree with Ann on this (doesn't happen very often).  totally depends on 2 things, the properties of your source files (and sequence settings) and the speed of your hard drive.  Assuming your hard drive is 7200 and you're dealing with 1080 files or smaller, you should be fine, assuming you're not doing some heavy effects work.  If you're dealing with larger files with a heavily compressed mpeg format, you can use a proxy workflow.   I work with most of my media on external drives both ssd's and physical hard drives without issues.  

Since you've got the drive, why not try putting your media there and see how it performs?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

mgrenadier is correct for the most part. 

If you are editing H.264/265 at 1920 x 1080 you can have the OS and Media Content all on the system drive/C: drive even if it is a mechanical hard drive. If you edit 8K Pro Res or 6K BRAW a single SATA SSD can handle one layer but might not playback multiple layers. A mechanical hard drive might not even play one layer of 8K Pro Res depending on the quality. An M.2 SSD is your best bet for R3D files, Pro Res and BRAW because they require a lot of throughput. Having said that some M.2 contollers are glitchy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines