• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I shoot both a Canon and Sony dxlr for the same project?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm helping friend shoot a short project, interview style, and for the A & B  roll cameras, I have the 

5D Mark 4 (my camera) and the Sony Alpha 65 (my friend's camera). Both have a fromat option of 1920x1080 but Sony uses a AVCHD format for recording and i don't thing Canon does...so wondering if this present a problem when importing the clips from both into Premiere Pro.  Also, Sony only uses the Memory Stick PRO Duo or Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo media.

Can this work??

thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , How to , Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer: yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

always a good idea to test your workflow if possible.  so maybe shoot a test with both cameras, import to Premiere, edit in to a sequence and export.  matching the look between the 2 cameras is a completely different issue...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, yes i was planning to do that today infact...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can be helpful to shoot 5 seconds or so of a white card with both cameras.  You can then use the white balance selector in the lumetri panel on both camera clips  which will get you somewhat closer to a match.  Not a bad place to start...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kyle,

If you have any doubts, before the project, get your frind to shoot a couple of minutes of nothingness footage & send it to you. Then you do the same & see how they import & work on the timeline.

Your main challenge will probably be color matching so you might want to look into how to get the best colour profiles to allow the closest match in post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you 🙂 Indeed, i'm aware from using Canon how it tends to be warmer in colors than Sony, which seems to favor the green/blue direction of the color spectrum and tends to be generally sharper, or so it as seemed to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if the camera's dont color match you have to do the best you can.

One cannot change gear overnight.

So can you put both camera's in same project: yes. The type of cards/sticks are irrelevant in this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you use the same framerate for both cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or at least co called PAL or NTSC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are screen shots from the manuals of each...trying to figure which is the most  compatible mutual setting  for each. 

Canon 5D M4: Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 2.55.51 PM.png

Sony 65 alpha: Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 2.59.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-23 at 3.00.10 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sony only shoots 25 fps and variants,  so go with the canon 50i and the same on the sony. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For Sony the last rate mention under the 1080 60i  Device is 1920x1080, 24p. Why not use that one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to import and work with both formats fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

of course you can, but should you?  staying with the same frame rate will make the op's life simpler...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines