• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I swap a project item into the timeline and preserve the edits?

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PPro CS5.5  In essence: I'd like to preserve the timeline edits of Audio/Video1 and apply them to the item in Audio/Video2.  Is it possible?

Detail:  AVI item on the time line and heavily edited for framing and extractions.

Media Export fails: "PP has encountered an error ..\..\Src\Win\WinFile.cpp-785" 

(If anybody has insights to how to get rid of the 785, I'd love to hear them).

I can't rectify the failure, so I converted the AVI to an M4V hoping the different encoding would help. If might, but it seems I can't remove the avi from the timeline and swap in the M4V without losing the contents of the timeline.   

Is there any way to do this? I don't see anything obvious on the menus. I'net searches return general item stuff. searches here point to old threads that can't be retrieved but gave me ideas (name too long, spec.chars etc.) All to no avail.    I'm wondering if there's some way to manipulate the project file itself (via exporting the project file to XML maybe?). thanks.

TOPICS
Editing , Export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

I would copy your project before you do anything, then try right clicking on the AVI in the project panel and select replace footage.

replace footage 2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would copy your project before you do anything, then try right clicking on the AVI in the project panel and select replace footage.

replace footage 2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, thank you!  I'm not sure I could feel any dimmer.  I had tried that a while ago (I've let this particular proj wallow for some time) and was thrown by the "full length" replacement.  This time I took a closer look at the time line...   This is huge. thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines