Can Lagarith lossless codec work with Windows 10?

Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I have an AVI video file I need to work with. It was exported a while back using Lagarith lossless codec. Anyone know how I might be able to use that video file on Windows 10?

If not, does anyone know which is the latest version of Windows that supports the codec?

Thanks

1. Open the file you want to convert in VirtualDub.
  2. Select Video>Fast Recompress.
  3. Select Video>Compression.
  4. Scroll through the list of codecs and choose Lagarith.
  5. The default configuration should be fine.  Click OK.
  6. Go to File>Save as AVI...
  7. Navigate to the folder where you want to save the file and type a name for the file.  The .avi extension will be added automatically by VirtualDub.
  8. Click Save and watch VirtualDub do its thing.  Done.

Hopefully the new file will import into Pr without any problems.

Cheers,

Jeff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can Lagarith lossless codec work with Windows 10?

Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I have an AVI video file I need to work with. It was exported a while back using Lagarith lossless codec. Anyone know how I might be able to use that video file on Windows 10?

If not, does anyone know which is the latest version of Windows that supports the codec?

Thanks

1. Open the file you want to convert in VirtualDub.
  2. Select Video>Fast Recompress.
  3. Select Video>Compression.
  4. Scroll through the list of codecs and choose Lagarith.
  5. The default configuration should be fine.  Click OK.
  6. Go to File>Save as AVI...
  7. Navigate to the folder where you want to save the file and type a name for the file.  The .avi extension will be added automatically by VirtualDub.
  8. Click Save and watch VirtualDub do its thing.  Done.

Hopefully the new file will import into Pr without any problems.

Cheers,

Jeff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 23, 2017 0
Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short answer: yes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 24, 2017 1
Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ann Bens. Thanks! So if I download and install the codec from here:

https://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

I'll should be fine?

I'm uncertain just because it says on that page:

Lagarith was last updated on December 8, 2011.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 24, 2017 0
Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes its fine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 24, 2017 1
Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed and looks like it's working. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 24, 2017 0
Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, while not directly related to my original post — I'm hoping you can help me out here.

So I have the Lagarith codec installed.

I can play the AVI file I have fine on Windows Media Player.

But when I try to import it to an Adobe product, I have problems.

I'm basically just trying to import the file and export it to a different format/codec.

I tried using Adobe Media Encoder. Dragged the file in, set the export settings, hit the start button. It started rendering. Extremely slow, I might add. As a test I just tried to export about 15 seconds of the video and it took about 20 minutes.

I'm using a new laptop. i7 6700HQ, 32GB RAM, Geforce 1060, onSamsung 850 EVO M.2 SSD drive.

Eventually I got back to the computer and Media Encoder said "done", but there was no sign of the exported file in the destination folder. It was gone.

Then I tried importing the Lagarith AVI file into Premiere Pro and it wouldn't import. I got a message saying that either the file is incomplete or damaged.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 25, 2017 0
Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post screenshot of file in MediaInfo in treeview .

Post screenshot of export settings.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 26, 2017 0
Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MediaInfo:

MediaInfo_2017-01-27_23-42-00.png

Adobe Media Encoder Export Settings:

Adobe Media Encoder_2017-01-27_23-45-19.png

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 27, 2017 0
Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see no reason why this should not work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2017 0
Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Notice that your AVI file itself is 16.6 GB with an overall bit rate of 189 Mb/sec and is 12 mins and 35 secs long.  But the source audio and video portions are only 1 min and 15 secs long with a 22 Mb/sec bit rate.  That's not good.  There may be significant file padding going on that causes Pr/AME to choke on the file.

Further, the audio is 24/48, which is unnecessary unless you're in the recording studio creating a master for Adele's next album.

You should try adjusting the settings in whatever program created the AVI file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2017 1